Self-study or Ground School

Skydreamer2015

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skydreamer2015
Well, time for the next hurdle! Just passed my commercial & moving onto my CFI. Curious what everyone thinks about going to one of these ground schools like American Flyers for my CFI or is it a waste of money? Would I be better off just to study on my own & take some flights with my local flight school and get proficient from the right seat? Thanks for the feedback guys!

I studied the ASA materials and passed both the FOI and knowledge test on my first try.

I am in the ninth percentile for unrelated short term memory because of a TBI so it was a challenge for me.

I don’t have a ground school to compare it to.

Do you have the self discipline / time management skills to do self study? If you do, it is the better path.

Depends on how you learn. I did self study with some ground lessons where my CFI played "student." I also taught lessons on my mom and friends who have no aviation experience. If you can explain it and they understand it, you're doing something right.

Ditto or Trio on the above...

Use the method that has proven valuable on your other three certifications. What's the baseball expression, "Never mess with a streak"

For FOI I used lots of non aviation resources, such as Wikipedia.

So really it's all self study, at this point you should already know all the aviation materieal and know where to find answers to any questions you might have.

You need to move out of the student mindset and into the teacher mindset.

I'd also highly recommend tutoring folks and also sitting in on other (good) CFIs ground schools.

Yeah.. as long as you keep at it, any method will get you there.

And soon, you'll be able to wear one of these:

light_tshirt.jpg

Back