Selecting a Headset

yep they are terrible. I imagine the Bose are the same way. ANR headsets just don’t work well in extremely loud environments. One guy wears foam ear plugs under his Zulus which seems to help. Others have switched to passive headsets. One variable is most of us wear hats and sunglasses which certainly doesn’t help the ANR’s. I found in the cub I can squeeze the headsets against my head and they were fine, without it was pretty unbearable.

They must not fit you correctly and not seal up..
They work great for me.

Seconded...I've used Zulus and Bose in Cubs and 207s which is the second loudest plane I've flown in next to the B25.....and the Zulu worked fine in that too.

Regular cub or Carbon Cub? I wouldn’t consider a 207 loud either compared to an S2B.

Regular cub or Carbon Cub? I wouldn’t consider a 207 loud either compared to an S2B.

I've never flown an S2B. I've flown in lots of incantations of cub. J3, PA18, Carbon Cub, and numerous experimental cub-like planes.

LS and Bose both put out instructions on how to properly fit your headset, are you following those?

I've never flown an S2B. I've flown in lots of incantations of cub. J3, PA18, Carbon Cub, and numerous experimental cub-like planes.

LS and Bose both put out instructions on how to properly fit your headset, are you following those?

Yep. They work perfect in every other airplane.

Hmm. I typically wear a hat and not very headset friendly sunglasses under my headset, and I haven't had issues. Have you tried following up with customer support at all? FWIW I have found the A20s are much better ANR than the Zulus.

Take this with a grain of salt, I don't fly particularly loud airplanes any more.

In the last several years I have had lots of loud airplanes... The Zulu 3 worked absolutely perfect in them all.
Here is a small list of the loud planes that the Zulu 3 worked in and the Bose didn't. BTW I do also have a Clarity aloft I use for acro because it don't come off.
Pitts Model 12 (flew open and closed cockpit)
Pitts S1S
2 Pitts S1C's (flew open and closed cockpit)
Pitts S2C
3 different Christen Eagles
540 Skybolt
Stearman
Staudacher S300D
Breezy
Lots of regular airplanes....
The Zulu fits me well though. No noise gaps in the earseals. If you have any gap the anr will suck.
I don't just sell used headsets but I have tested all of them in tons of planes.
The Lightspeed wins hands down.
Heck the Bose wouldn't even handle the wind from flying my 172 with the window open.
I am not doubting that if the fit for you is not good you have trouble. But what I have seen the Lightspeeds handle whatever noise you can give them.
Not trying to start a argument but just saying they are awesome if they fit you well.

I only fly Cessnas and a Tiger, but I can attest to the Lightspeed Sierras I bought from @pigpenracing ... super comfortable and quiet compared to what I had been using. Still like the DCs but not my primary headset now.

Headset choice is highly personal. I found the passive DC H10-13.4 and the older H10-30s to be just fine, but once I used an ANR headset, I would never go back. I'm still using a first generation Lightspeed Zulu, and it has had nary a problem. I think I replaced the ear seals once in 10 years. It fits me well, and seals well around eyeglass frames. YMMV. If it works for you, that's all that matters.

My thinking goes: David Clark, I don't need ANR. Gel ear pads, don't need stereo and I don't like the wire hinged mic. For some reason, that led me to the H20-10, which is on my christmas list along with an A20 in case Santa is feeling generous. But I've also got a 49" widescreen curved monitor on there for flight simming and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm probably getting a lot of LP records.

Back