Seeking flight friends

Rampersad Haribhai

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
"Ramp"
Hello! I seek to increase my hours of flying and look to find pilots to fly with. I intend to arrive in the USA within two months.

Thank you.

Welcome. What part of the US are you going to be staying in?

My intention presently is to visit all locations as required to achieve 1000 hours or more. I will act as safety pilot while you fly. Thank you for your kind attention. Single engine small plane of any kind is satisfactory.

I am Rampersad Haribhai I also googled my name and saw that name and selected it for my alias. Is this not allowed?

I am prepared to pay for half the fuel costs.

When I click on that link it takes me to some page about "men from the ministry". I couldn't find the relevant portion that exposes the OP as a troll. What did I miss.

I missed it at first too....don't scroll up or down, just read the paragraph that it takes you to.

So he has a made up name. So do a lot of people on internet boards. Why does that, by itself, make him a troll?

I don't know if that's a common name (I suspect it isn't, but I've never been within a few thousand miles of South Africa), but I work with a Charlie Taylor, and he's neither a former dictator nor a celebrated aircraft mechanic. And it is his real name. He didn't even know about the aircraft mechanic until I told him.

Its not the made up name, it's the name chosen. Internet pseudonymity notwithstanding, I suppose if someone calling themselves Borat Sagdiyev or Baba Booey appeared with a unicorn-like request ('I want to build hours'), I'd take them (and their request) equally unseriously. To each his own.

ETA: OP changed his handle, so I've deleted my "troll" call and will give him/her the benefit of the doubt that they'd like to be taken seriously.

"Ramp", you should understand that you are asking for a lot of any pilot to fly with you and share hours. For my own part, I'd like to meet and build a level of personal trust with any pilot before I'd be willing to hop in a plane that I'm responsible for and go flying with them. I can't imagine any circumstance where I would do that on a first or second meeting with someone I've only met over the internet based on his solicitation for flight time.

Building hours is a difficult task, but an old tradition that every professional pilot for the past century has gone through.

Last edited:
Let me guess, you also need a plane with big, big payload?

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

PS: watch him in 2 days saying he's ready to fly

Last edited:
Okay I'm going to say it:

Ramp, we are not interested in financing your flying education. No offense but you need to go elsewhere for your freebies.

Last edited:
Ramp;

Depending on timing, flying might be iffy. However, if you're in the Denton, Tx area, we can meet up for a meal and story swap session.

Ramp, we are not interested in financing your flying education. No offense but you need to **** go elsewhere for your freebies.

Saying "no offense" does not then make offensive statements inoffensive.

Since you are new, yourself, to PoA, I'll assume you are not familiar with our Rules of Conduct which are succinctly summed up by:
Goals of the Forums
Show respect at all times.
Help build the Community.

Last edited:

Ramp, we are not interested in financing your flying education. No offense but you need to shut your curry hole and go elsewhere for your freebies.

He is not asking for a freebie. I don't know about you but my safety pilots don't pay anything and I usually buy lunch.

My problem is that no-one but me is going to be "legal PIC" if I am flying the airplane unless it a CFI giving me instruction in an airplane I cannot legally act as PIC in, so sorry, no loggable PIC time for the safety pilot.

My intention presently is to visit all locations as required to achieve 1000 hours or more. I will act as safety pilot while you fly. Thank you for your kind attention. Single engine small plane of any kind is satisfactory.

The United States is the fourth largest country in the world. With an area of nearly 10 million square kilometers, it is nine times larger than South Africa. Or just under one third the size of Africa. When you are asked where you will go, it is not a casual question.

Likewise, 1000 hours is a lot of flying time. That is approximately three hours per day, every single day, for an entire year. Most of us can only do that if we fly for a living. We certainly don't look forward to loaning our aircraft out for that kind of use for simply half the cost of fuel.

In my case, my engine has a TBO of 2,000 hours. A new engine is just over $40,000, so I have to believe that 1,000 hours of use on my plane will cost me at least $20,000 in addition to the fuel and other maintenance. While Americans might be rich. I am not that generous to an unknown person.

Last edited:
Saying "no offense" does not then make offensive statements inoffensive.

Since you are new, yourself, to PoA, I'll assume you are not familiar with our Rules of Conduct which are succinctly summed up by:
Goals of the Forums
Show respect at all times.
Help build the Community.

Thank you, Peggy. That was beautiful.

Aunt Peggy has a point. The USA is not just large, it is unfathomably huge. I've driven from the north east corner to the south west corner four times, and can say from experience, it takes days. It is 3,300 miles from my current home to my last. It took me 52 hours of driving. India (I'm sorry if I am guessing your location incorrectly, Google tells me that Rampersad is an Indian name popular in Trinidad) is 3.2 million square KM. The USA is just shy of 10 million square KM. Trinidad, if you are from the island, is 4,700 square km. There are states here, with modern, high speed roads, that take 10 hours to drive across. Asking where you are going is a legitimate question. Flying from one end of the country to the other, commercial, takes almost as long as it takes to fly to Europe.

Last edited:
Ramp; something else you haven't mentioned in your original post was

1) how long you plan to be here?
2) Where are you staying?
3) Are you staying close to that spot? Or are you planning to move from place to place?
4) Other than flying, what is the reason to be here (work? school? goes to what form of entry visa)

And I agree with Peggy about us fronting the costs associated with this endeavor.

Ramp, we are not interested in financing your flying education. No offense but you need to shut your curry hole and go elsewhere for your freebies.

This was the original quote, and it was narchee that said it, not alfadog

Wow! I'm glad I didn't get treated like that my first time on here. That is not cool people!

I'm glad I didn't get treated like that my first time on here.

But when you came on here, you were asking for information and advice that could be given freely. Not for something that has a real cost and you wanted it gratis.

But when you came on here, you were asking for information and advice that could be given freely. Not for something that has a real cost and you wanted it gratis.

I guess you are right. I lived here in America most of my life though and I don't expect something for nothing. Maybe it's a little different in other parts of the world.

All I'm thinking is I would've at least gave him a chance before shooting him down so quickly!

The way I see it the OP is free to ask and everyone else is free to take him up on his request, or not. Me personally? I don't have time to shepard someone all over the place, even at half the fuel cost.

The way I see it the OP is free to ask and everyone else is free to take him up on his request, or not. Me personally? I don't have time to shepard someone all over the place, even at half the fuel cost.
yeah...yeah....what he said.:nono:

Wow! I'm glad I didn't get treated like that my first time on here. That is not cool people!

You, like myself probably ask and answered peoples questions and put some info in your profile so that we knew you were for real.

This was the original quote, and it was narchee that said it, not alfadog

No not true this was added by alfadog open your eyes. You have them for a purpose use them read!

This is not important. I know to not judge everyone by some bad people mangy dogs here with insulting ways. I do not look for free opportunities. I will pay my way.

I look to arrive in Phoenix initially. I was told that americans are helpful and can be relied on. I hope this proves correct.

There are a couple of PHX based CFIs on this board. Maybe they will chime in.

No not true this was added by alfadog open your eyes. You have them for a purpose use them read!

This is not important. I know to not judge everyone by some bad people mangy dogs here with insulting ways. I do not look for free opportunities. I will pay my way.

I look to arrive in Phoenix initially. I was told that americans are helpful and can be relied on. I hope this proves correct.

Under his post it says "Last edited by narchee; Today at 09:37 AM."

Alfadog was quoting him. When you quote someone's post, it takes the current content of the post. If the quoted post gets edited, it doesn't change.

You were insulted, but it was not by alfadog. The original insult was removed, but not before it was copied. It would be best if the copies were also either deleted or edited.

Please just let it go.

Welcome to Pilots of America. Did you understand my explanation of why your request is so expensive?

Ramp, I was the one who told you to shut your curry hole. But I retracted that and I apologize. Alfadog is innocent.

Back