Secure file delete utilties

It sounds like this drive is in an active pc. I should know more in a few days.

It sounds like this drive is in an active pc. I should know more in a few days.
It would be helpful to know if this is spinning media vs solid state.

For values of classification levels, multiple overwrites of rotating media is sufficiently secure.

Last I knew, contimanated SSDs are destroyed - no way to scrub off classified information.
SSDs are essentially just static memory chips, aren't they? Just overwriting the data should scrub it if that's the case.

SSDs are essentially just static memory chips, aren't they? Just overwriting the data should scrub it if that's the case.
No, they have wear-leveling management along with redundant blocks.

No, they have wear-leveling management along with redundant blocks.

and it's really hard to get at that extra memory... possible, but not worth it.

When dealing with a contaminated SSD, it's far easier to completely destroy it than try to sanitize it.

Put a drill through the plates.

Put a drill through the plates.
I did that to one of mine. That’s the advice I gave to my buddy for whenever he retires that PC.

My neighbor did the hammer thing. But he did it on his granite kitchen countertop and now it’s missing a corner.

Hadn’t thought about any regulatory issues. I’ll probably see him next week and ask him about it. There’s a commercial shredder operation near me that give a certification of destruction, or whatever it’s called.
If I was looking for some sensitive data I'd get a job at one of those places that gives a certificate of destruction in exchange for your sensitive data.

Just mail the drive to me. Guaranteed the USPS will lose it and it will never be found.

Back