Sectional Symbol Question

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
See the attached skyvector image. I highlighted the airport data "block" for Ellington (7B9).

Has anyone ever seen RP* before? I looked the airport up in the Northeast A/FD and it mentions right pattern for helicopter traffic only. Is the asterisk used next to RP very often? I'm not used to seeing it there.

Best,
Jason

Attachments

• sectional.jpg
    sectional.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
See the attached skyvector image. I highlighted the airport data "block" for Ellington (7B9).

Has anyone ever seen RP* before? I looked the airport up in the Northeast A/FD and it mentions right pattern for helicopter traffic only. Is the asterisk used next to RP very often? I'm not used to seeing it there.

Best,
Jason

"RP* Special conditions exist - see A/FD."

Last edited:
I always thought it stood for Right Pattern.

Turns out, that is usually the "special condition" but not always.

RP_ = right pattern where _ is the runway.

RP* = what they said above.

its the * thats the diff.

Ellington is a neat little field, right around the corner from where my inlaws used to live. Lots of Helicopters.

I always thought it stood for Right Pattern.

Turns out, that is usually the "special condition" but not always.
RP does stand for right pattern. It's the * that means there are special conditions and it's used with other chart symbols also. You'll see it with tower frequencies, navigation frequencies, lighting... With some, like tower frequencies, it usually means the same thing (part-time operation) but it more generally means that you need to look for more information.

(Ah Ellington - my old stomping grounds got my instrument rating there)

Back