Sectional question

Meh, neither do I, but for someone who is struggling with minimum altitudes and whatnot, its a good idea.

Oh, and if I were considering a cross county at <1500agl, as the OP is considering, then I would most definitely look for the updates.

I'm seeing truth about Ed, here. :D

LOL Kenny, nothing strange there. 6Y9 is in the middle of nowhere. You'd need a map or a GPS to find it.

Is there even a VOR within range, Ed?

I wish I still had a copy of the flyer for the grand-reopening Ed made up. The directions to get there were hilarious.

LOL Kenny, nothing strange there. 6Y9 is in the middle of nowhere. You'd need a map or a GPS to find it.

Is there even a VOR within range, Ed?

I wish I still had a copy of the flyer for the grand-reopening Ed made up. The directions to get there were hilarious.

You should be able to get Iron Mountain with some altitude. I think it's about 40 nm away. I did a fair amount of flying around the area when I went down last Labor Day. I landed at pretty much every airport surrounding 6Y9.

One of my favorite "glad I'm a pilot" moments was last year at 6Y9. I took off from the grass strip with really no plan in mind. I buzzed around between 500 AGL and 12,000 AGL following roads looking at the countryside. It's a lot of fun because it's so under developed. There isn't much civilization up there.

You should be able to get Iron Mountain with some altitude. I think it's about 40 nm away. I did a fair amount of flying around the area when I went down last Labor Day. I landed at pretty much every airport surrounding 6Y9.

One of my favorite "glad I'm a pilot" moments was last year at 6Y9. I took off from the grass strip with really no plan in mind. I buzzed around between 500 AGL and 12,000 AGL following roads looking at the countryside. It's a lot of fun because it's so under developed. There isn't much civilization up there.
Be careful how you approach that in southern Missouri and Arkansas in case you have to make an emergency landing. There's a high ownership of twelve-gauge shotguns around there. :D

Be careful how you approach that in southern Missouri and Arkansas in case you have to make an emergency landing. There's a high ownership of twelve-gauge shotguns around there. :D

There is a reason I didn't like getting off the interstates when I rode my motorcycle to southern Mississippi last year.

Does everyone in here honestly.. First off--get the sectional out. *Actually* look at the sectional. AND get the CURRENT AF/D out..and actually LOOK for updates before every flight? I really doubt it. I've never seen a pilot do that.
I certainly do. It's de riguer for me, then again I really enjoy looking at charts. And I think of the AF/D as my lil friend. Nonetheless, my primary motivation is situational awareness.

Think of it as knowing Vs not knowing.

Does everyone in here honestly.. First off--get the sectional out. *Actually* look at the sectional. AND get the CURRENT AF/D out..and actually LOOK for updates before every flight? I really doubt it. I've never seen a pilot do that.

EVERY flight? Heck no. In the box roughly from OSH -> ENW -> DBQ -> EAU, I know things like the back of my hand. Frequencies I'll get out of the 430 if I'm in the 182, as it's updated 2x as often as the A/FD and way more than the charts.

I do, however, carry the current charts and A/FD's just in case, and I actually prefer following along on the sectional to just looking at the 430.

Longer flights, look at route, note MEF's, and go higher. Depends on range, too. A normal 50nm $100 burger run, I'll be at 4500 or 5500. 150nm, 6500-7500. 250nm or more, 8500 on up. I've flown VFR up to 12,500. All of the above, of course, depend on winds aloft, turbulence, and other factors.

No you don't... You just climb way up high, and look for the only spot within 100 miles that isn't covered with trees. That's the field. :yes:

well im not afraid of any airspace..id rather head into that area with flight following...but its obvious the people that replied thinking i am scared of busy airspace, have never flown in NY airspace during peak times in the middle of the day...if u can get the controllers to acknowledge that you are calling them, then your lucky...heck your lucky if you can key the mic without stepping on someone...

The airport I am talking about is Linden (KLDJ)..it sits about 5 miles from the approach end of runway 4L and R at EWR...at peak times (pretty much 24/7 around here) there is a line of aircraft 100 miles long lined up for landing on those runways...
ALL the local pilots told me my best bet would be to skirt under the airspace...BUT i need to know every little detail for everything..thats why i asked this question

Last edited:
Another suggestion is to get a TAC (Terminal Area Chart) if you're going to be flying near Class B airspace. It's really helpful to see routes, landmarks, traffic corridors & etc.
Your comment made me curious so last night I looked on the LAX TAC. Lo, there are at least two towers (843', 752' agl) NOT depicted. The 843' tower is within 2 nm of a Class D aprt.

Your comment made me curious so last night I looked on the LAX TAC. Lo, there are at least two towers (843', 752' agl) NOT depicted. The 843' tower is within 2 nm of a Class D aprt.
How long have they been in place? I thought the builder or owner was required to give notice prior to construction or to any changes regarding lighting, etc.

How long have they been in place? I thought the builder or owner was required to give notice prior to construction or to any changes regarding lighting, etc.

I've heard that they are *supposed* to. But the FAA does not have the authority to make you take it down nor can they fine you for not notifying them. Of course they could pressure local government but I suspect if the local government didn't have a problem with it--they could tell the FAA to **** off.

I do know from my amateur radio days that most areas have ordinances in place with regards to antennas that exceed certain heights. They may require you notify the FAA and they would have the authority to do something about it.

I could be wrong though.

In Albuquerque, right next to the Comcast building, there is a pole that stands 217ft tall. Unlit, unmarked on sectionals, been there for years.

Action 7 News Helicopter flys by it everyday, as the landing pad is about 300ft away.

I told the folks at Comcast to report it. They told me they'd look into it.

2 years later, its still unlit and unmarked.

I've heard that they are *supposed* to. But the FAA does not have the authority to make you take it down nor can they fine you for not notifying them. Of course they could pressure local government but I suspect if the local government didn't have a problem with it--they could tell the FAA to **** off.

I do know from my amateur radio days that most areas have ordinances in place with regards to antennas that exceed certain heights. They may require you notify the FAA and they would have the authority to do something about it.

I could be wrong though.
I remember reading something about some buildings that were put up near Phoenix Skyharbor. There was some argument between Skyharbor, FAA and the builders. In the end, the builders won and just have to put up lighting.

For years.

A couple months ago I also noticed a lighted twr out by Parker VOR (Arizona) which is not depicted on the VFR sectional. It still is not depicted on the latest edition. Perhaps because it is in proximity to another lighted twr. (< 1 nm)

Last edited:
Back