Searching for new or creative opportunities to jumpstart career

Andrew S

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew S
Hey friends, I just thought I would throw this question out there to see if anyone knew anything that I didn't or could offer any help. I am just looking for any opportunities out there that would either encourage or facilitate flight training and/or aviation career growth.

I recently just finished my instrument rating, and am slowly working at building time. But honestly I am having a hard time with it as my progress is agonizingly slow due to having to work full time in construction to fund everything. On top of this even though I am renting from a flight school I am pretty much on my own with all of it, and the lack of good community is discouraging and definitely has been a negative factor in my efforts.

What I would really like to do is to change my scene to jumpstart a better process for myself. This doesn't mean that the program or opportunity has to fund everything (but I wouldn't mind if it did). More so that it would help me get out of this rut where I am just spinning my wheels, and maybe give me a chance at a solid career in the future.

I keep hearing about internships with the big guys, or cadet type operations, and if anyone has inside info on these it would be helpful. But other than that are there any opportunities out there even in other parts of the world where maybe a internship/job and flight training might go hand in hand. Any opportunities where I can get exposed to aviation regularly, have a chance to network and meet aviation professionals, all while continuing my training and hopefully working at least a decent paying job?

I doubt that intrenships are still around with the condition of the "big" guys right now. be patient, it takes a long time. Getting prepared when times are bad seems to work out well.

I think the military is the obvious choice (in the U.S. or Canada) — if you qualify, they'll pay for your advanced training and pay you a salary.

I can't speak for the US but PLEASE never sign up for the Canadian forces if you want to be anything other than a soldier, as the flight training is very limited and you'd be lucky to fly much over 100 hours a year (you're also stuck for 10-12 years) and good luck getting a job with under 1000 hours

I think the military is the obvious choice (in the U.S. or Canada) — if you qualify, they'll pay for your advanced training and pay you a salary.
As a recently retired military aviator, I highly recommend against joining the military just because you want flight training.

If you are really interested in flying for mil, that's a different discussion.

Not really addressing your question, but are there luxuries you can cut out for now, to give you more money for flying.

Also, I don’t know how kosher it would be, but if you could get your buddies to fly with you, and pay up to half of your direct expenses, you could afford to fly more, too. You just have to be careful not to hold yourself out as a commercial operation if you don’t have a commercial rating. This topic has already been beaten to death, and then some, by many POA’ers.

Not really addressing your question, but are there luxuries you can cut out for now, to give you more money for flying.

Also, I don’t know how kosher it would be, but if you could get your buddies to fly with you, and pay up to half of your direct expenses, you could afford to fly more, too. You just have to be careful not to hold yourself out as a commercial operation if you don’t have a commercial rating. This topic has already been beaten to death, and then some, by many POA’ers.

Maybe it's just my circle but I can't find anyone who isn't afraid of going in a GA plane here that isn't a pilot

Maybe it's just my circle but I can't find anyone who isn't afraid of going in a GA plane here that isn't a pilot
That’s surprising. I guess get out more? But there goes trimming your budget.

As a recently retired military aviator, I highly recommend against joining the military just because you want flight training.

If you are really interested in flying for mil, that's a different discussion.

This x69.

And realize even if you get accepted to UPT it isn’t a guarantee you’ll finish anything other than the military commitment you signed on for if you washout.

I gave up on renting very early on, and bought a share in a plane. Highly recommend it so long as your partners are cool people. I have owned a share of 4 different planes, 3 times it was great, 1 was a nightmare. Besides the cost benefit of not being the only owner, usually at least 1 partner has owned before, or owned his share of that plane a long time, and can be a wealth of knowledge. My first time doing it I bought a 1/4 share of a 152. I was young and dumb, had about 36 hours, and was a student. Two of us knew nothing, one guy had been a partner for a few years and was a great guy, the fourth was extremely knowledgeable, and had been a 1/4 share owner in a different plane for years before this one, and he was older, mature, and an awesome man. Thank God us morons had him, and he was 40 something, not early 20s like us 2 gong show guys.

Go for the Sport Pilot Instructor and start teaching in Light Sport Aircraft. Only 150 hours see 61.411. You are probably qualified already. Get it as a jump start. I am super busy here.

By definition you can't "jumpstart" a pilot career in present domestic market circumstances. Ab initio is more of a Europe and Asia thing. Not something available to you by citizen statute. What's the goal here? Regionals, major airlines, corporate?

Reactions: YKA
I’ve been there....it’s really a catch 22 in that you need the flight time to get the flight time. I’d suggest talking to national guard if you have a degree. I know several guys that went that route, some starting out as a mechanic or load master and got a pilot position. You could get the training and soon meet airline requirements in a few years. My airline, as most others, give you the time off for your national guard mission, without losing seniority.

also look into glider time, it’s far cheaper and counts towards meeting most requirements for advance certifications. Some glider clubs even work a deal out for pilots to fly tow plane. Some will tell you ultra light flight time (real cheap) counts towards meeting comm and ATP time requirements , but the regs spell out specific terms as ‘aircraft’ which ultra lights are not classified as. Logging Ultra light time to meet total flight time to meet insurance requirements may be of issue as well, but I know a few guys that counted it towards total flight time (which does not have specific definition) and clearly noted it as ultralight category time without issue.

Maybe try reaching out to companies like survey or pipeline operators, ask about some low paying part time work and later ask pilots about being an observer.....the pilots normally welcome having a passenger, and many have a CFI rating and be happy to let you do some of the flying......while manipulating the controls you can log it as PIC. I know a few guys that built multi time flying checks while the company pilot slept.

I built some time by flying initial break in 5-10 hours on rebuilt engines. This initial time is when most engine failures occur and many owners would gladly have some one fly it, especially if you do it for little or no fee. Let local shops know you know how to perform the break in procedures and available if needed. Think outside the box.

Back