Searching for an ILS at an uncontrolled field

Does Airnav allow you to select "tower" in the search criteria? I couldn't find it.
Nope, but once you have the ones with precision approaches, you can look at each one in turn (or look at a chart) to see which have a tower.

Nope, but once you have the ones with precision approaches, you can look at each one in turn (or look at a chart) to see which have a tower.

He's looking for uncontrolled fields. What's this 'tower' thing of which you speak?

If you shoot a IAP into a non-towered airport did you actually land at an uncontrolled field? Or is this an only if the field was IFR distinction?

Note to self: Find that pet peeve thread and add 'uncontrolled field'. All of them regs and such ain't controls, they're just there to add weight to NTSB reports.

If you shoot an approach to a non-towered field, does it make a sound?

Yes. If you do it right the sound is that lovely little chirp of a greaser. More sound is indicative of doing it less right. Flames, Sirens and water hoses indicate epic fails.

I presume he knows the airports in his region well enough to know which are towered.

I presume he knows the airports in his region well enough to know which are towered.
Thanks. I was legitimately curious because I thought I remembered seeing "towered" as a search option on airnav at some point in time, but couldn't find it when responding to this post.

Gawd help the poor person who posts a question on here and actually expects to get a rational response. The haters, snarks, nit pickers, and poo flingers come out, like cockroaches the instant you turn the kitchen lights off.
BTW, if you want some XC time come to my airport KHYX and we have a gorgeous ILS 28 on a completely uncontrolled field, no this, that, or anything. We do have a really nice, new terminal with a pilots lounge, coffee is almost always on, self fueling and usually the lowest price in the area. The only thing we don't have is activity.

BTW, if you want some XC time come to my airport KHYX and we have a gorgeous ILS 28 on a completely uncontrolled field, no this, that, or anything. We do have a really nice, new terminal with a pilots lounge, coffee is almost always on, self fueling and usually the lowest price in the area. The only thing we don't have is activity.

That is a rarity for sure...wish there was more of that around Charlotte!

That is a rarity for sure...wish there was more of that around Charlotte!
SVH (as already mentioned), IPJ, UCA, RUQ, AFP, EXX. These places don't even have surface areas let alone towers. It seems there are airports with ILS that don't have towers than those that do.

SVH (as already mentioned), IPJ, UCA, RUQ, AFP, EXX. These places don't even have surface areas let alone towers. It seems there are airports with ILS that don't have towers than those that do.

This is very true, and I see now that I wasn't very clear in my response. I meant all that with the lack of activity part. I fly out of a small field SE of Charlotte very close to EQY which has an ILS but is always really busy, just like RUQ, especially with all the sky diving they do up there. However, AFP is actually perfect for that sort of thing and I actually did a ton of practice approaches for my IR there. Sorry for the confusing response, LONG week.

Hardly anybody uses IPJ (I'm up at NC26).

Most airports I have seen with class E starting from the surface (dotted magenta) either had just a LOC or ILS.
We've been through that. It's random really. There are plenty of surface areas without ILSs. Around here, as I stated, you're more likely to find an ILS in an airport without a surface area than one with one.

The requirement for an surface area is: weather reporting, an instrument approach, and comms. The type of instrument approach is not a factor.

Back