Searching for an ILS at an uncontrolled field

GTS!

google that shet

Last edited:
On Foreflight, in the Map, section, look for closest airport with class "E" "D" or "C" surface area, then pull up the airport info, and approaches. But, I tend to stay away from class "B" airports, so I'm limiting myself.

If it has E to the surface, it most likely has an ILS.

There are airports with surface areas and no ILS: THV is one.
Conversely there are airports without surface areas that do have ILS: SVH is one

On Foreflight, in the Map, section, look for closest airport with class "E" "D" or "C" surface area, then pull up the airport info, and approaches. But, I tend to stay away from class "B" airports, so I'm limiting myself.
That method would show you airports with any approaches. I'm looking to find ILS approaches.

Pike county ky has one. KPBX

KUNI Athens Ohio has one as well. Complete with ndb

I really thought that it went without saying nearest meant "nearest to my location".

Sheesh!

Sorry. Mind reading wasn't included in the latest iOS update. Maybe if you were less vague you wouldn't have to sheesh me.

Sorry. Mind reading wasn't included in the latest iOS update. Maybe if you were less vague you wouldn't have to sheesh me.
Mind reading?

I asked HOW to search for a nearby ILS. I didn't ask where one was.

Let alone an ILS near you.

I want to do a checkout of some new avionics but I don't want to have to work with approach and tower while doing that.

Oh. I'm sure ya ain't lookin for advice, but please at least listen up on the Approach/Center frequencies as well as the CTAF to see if anyone else might be out there with you following the needles

I think you are just being lazy...
I live near Seattle, but I have an old New Orleans sectional chart.
I would just look at the convenient non-tower airports,,, and then,
look at their airport directories to see what approaches are available.
My airport,, KPWT meets your wants,, but its not where you want to fly,,, sooooo,
Do us ALL a favor,,,,, Do your own research!

Yeah,,, I was rude,,, hangs head,,, Im sorry...

But really,,, this does answer you query!
Spend 5 minutes,, look it up!
Thats the way you find an airport that meets your wants.

Check my next post

Last edited:
In the time you've spent correcting everyone who has tried to help you, you could have Googled it and be done with it.

Sooo,,, just cause im not so lazy, i have found,,, Sikes,,, KCEW,, 50 mi North West of Panama City...
Its got an ILS on RW 17..
I didnt check ALL the near airports,,, found this one then quit.
I did your home work!
You got a Did Not Complete!

G1000 shows you if the NRST airports have an ILS. Not sure about the smaller units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooo,,, just cause im not so lazy, i have found,,, Sikes,,, KCEW,, 50 mi North West of Panama City...
Its got an ILS on RW 17..
I didnt check ALL the near airports,,, found this one then quit.
I did your home work!
You got a Did Not Complete!
You got a fail on doing "homework".

I never asked for a list of approaches near Panama City. The question was: How to search for the nearest uncontrolled airports with ILS approaches.

Looks like the AOPA airport directory and Airnav advanced search will accomplish the task.

Thanks guys!

You got a fail on doing "homework".

I never asked for a list of approaches near Panama City. The question was: How to search for the nearest uncontrolled airports with ILS approaches.

You may parse the query, and my answer, all you wqnt,,, but
I DID answer your query in post #23,,, even if you parse it..
And then,,, I actually Did what I had explained, and found you an airport that meets your wants.
It is ,,, that easy,,, lets move on.
Good luck on you instrument tests....

You may parse the query, and my answer, all you wqnt,,, but
I DID answer your query in post #23,,, even if you parse it..
And then,,, I actually Did what I had explained, and found you an airport that meets your wants.
It is ,,, that easy,,, lets move on.
Good luck on you instrument tests....
No you didn't. I'm not anywhere near those airports.

No you didn't. I'm not anywhere near ((those?)) airports.

thats fine
others have offered other valuable help
Im sure you now have the information that you require
or you may get more
this thread is not dead yet

Im gonna go fix another drink

where ever you practice your ILS,, I hope it goes well
I wish will you tell us, where you do it

There is an ILS 27 at KJFX in Jasper, AL. I fly there for Pilots-N-Paws quite a bit. It surprised me there was an ILS and no tower.

Edit: I didn't read the thread all the way through as I thought I was contributing to the conversation by adding an airport without a tower that has an ILS. Your title says "Searching for an ILS at an uncontrolled field" You should have asked "How to search for an ILS at an uncontrolled field." It appears to me the OP is being pedantic and argumentative. Good luck OP.

Last edited:
I want to do a checkout of some new avionics but I don't want to have to work with approach and tower while doing that.
Why? BTDT. Do it VFR and everyone is fine with it, even if you're looking for false glideslopes, or if the equipment doesn't pass your test. Probably not great to do it at a busy airport during a push, but even that can be done with some effort.

Working with tower and approach will ensure they don't put a jet on your six

Why? BTDT. Do it VFR and everyone is fine with it, even if you're looking for false glideslopes, or if the equipment doesn't pass your test. Probably not great to do it at a busy airport during a push, but even that can be done with some effort.

Working with tower and approach will ensure they don't put a jet on your six

Based on OPs responses here, I think there are other reasons why he doesn't want to communicate with anyone while flying...

Try the advanced search on airnav.com and select precision approach.

Excellent pointer!
Interesting to contrast the spectrum of replies when you finally see the correct answer. :)

Is there an award for most typical POA-like thread ever, this is it! :) Its got some good answers, OP belligerent towards some people trying to help, some people offering up worthless 'advice' (are you really adding anything telling someone to google it?). You have belligerent answerers telling the guy he is lazy (yes you can count every pebble on the beach but the question was is there a better way). And most importantly some good answers sprinkled in there.

Back