Search for a C-130 in the English Channel

Heavy drinking,private pilots license,surprised he got that far.

I think I may have been stationed in W. Germany when that happened, and the rumor was he was shot down. That's all I ever heard about it, and I am not saying that's what happened.

I think I may have been stationed in W. Germany when that happened, and the rumor was he was shot down. That's all I ever heard about it, and I am not saying that's what happened.
Why would anyone expect NOT to be shot down while stealing a military aircraft?

Shot down, mechanical issue, pilot error.... regardless he died being stupid and a thief.

Shot down, mechanical issue, pilot error.... regardless he died being stupid and a thief.
Well it wasn't like he intended to keep the -130...he just borrowed it for awhile, not really stole it.

Why would anyone expect NOT to be shot down while stealing a military aircraft?

I seem to recall hearing about emotional problems at home, something about his commander not allowing him to go home or wherever, and so he took matters into his own hands. Like I said, all rumors we heard.

This happens (not necessarily taking a plane) often in the military. Members have problems on the home front and they're stationed overseas somewhere. Many end up as suicides sadly.

Nah, probably land it out in the country somewhere and turn it into a mobile home.
Well it'd have a nice but small greenhouse. The covered porches with bug blowers would be impressive.

I seem to recall hearing about emotional problems at home, something about his commander not allowing him to go home or wherever, and so he took matters into his own hands. Like I said, all rumors we heard.

This happens (not necessarily taking a plane) often in the military. Members have problems on the home front and they're stationed overseas somewhere. Many end up as suicides sadly.
I guess I should have phrased it differently...why would anyone not emotionally torn up enough to steal a military aircraft expect that it not be shot down?

I went to Mildenhall with a Squadron of C130’s for about 3 months in 1975. The stories about the were still going strong. Needless to say, on the presumed course he was taking he would have never made, it running out of fuel. That may have happened. The C130 flying east to west flies the northern route “ around the hump” and refuel at Goose bay. Flying west to east, we would fly to the Azores for fuel before going on th England.

They are going to need a lot more money if they really intend to find that Herc. I hope they have sent that web link to the folks at TIGHAR... I am sure they would like to help!

Yeah, Right!

It would seem the military would at least attempt to stop this if he was in fact shot down.

I guess it just depends on our individual perspective. My only criticism would be they should have shot the guy while he was stealing the 130 rather than afterwards. Those 130’s are expensive.

The expense doesn’t warrant deadly force. In this case, the theft of an aircraft in the wrong hands, that could be dangerous to others, would warrant deadly force.

The expense doesn’t warrant deadly force. In this case, the theft of an aircraft in the wrong hands, that could be dangerous to others, would warrant deadly force.
Yeah that too. The cost justifies it as well to me. As I said it’s all about perspective. Personally if I caught you trying to steal my car I would shoot you.

Even if the U.S.A.F. did shoot it down, after 50 years, there isn't enough wreckage left to study.
What these people are really trying to do is raise enough money to make a TV special, so they can make even more money using the the family as stooges.
Think the search for Amelia, Al Capone's vault, etc, etc.

Yeah that too. The cost justifies it as well to me. As I said it’s all about perspective. Personally if I caught you trying to steal my car I would shoot you.

Well they did used to hang horse thieves and the car replaced the horse so that make sense.

Back