Seaplane run up

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Just thought of this. How does one do a run up in a seaplane? Can't set the breaks.

Don't point to shore. LOL

For one thing, one cannot take more time than absolutely necessary to do the actual runup. The whole thing can be done in about 10 seconds if one knows what they are doing.

Perhaps do it as part of the water taxi to a takeoff start position?

Good question. I think I read an old blog post of Kent's that described a run-up in a Cub on skis (same problem, no brakes). If I remember correctly, it was done on the taxi to the end of the runway... and it was done much quicker than a "normal" run-up.

It's done "on the go" if you're in the water. When you're in the water the plane is almost always moving. You might even need to run on only one mag to taxi slowly around objects/docks. There are several small differences in manuevering on water compared to land. That's why it takes a separate rating.

An amphib on the ground is identical to a land plane as far as mag check/run up goes.

Them's the breaks.

Yep as has been said you do it on the move. It is easy on floats you won't be moving too fast and the heavier you are the slower. On skis on glare ice you will need to be damn quick and you better not do it around other parked planes:no:

Attachments

• 100_0855.jpg
    100_0855.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Yep, as others said, it's done while taxiing (which I know some folks do with land airplanes on regular taxiways also).

Just thought of this. How does one do a run up in a seaplane? Can't set the breaks.
Hey Adam,

Pick me up one day, we'll fly to Twitchell in Maine and I'll show you how it's done. We could also ask the old man Tom O'Connell to teach you and If you really want it, by the end of the day you may be doing it yourself.

Gil

The same way you do in any aircraft.

Both-R/mag-Both-LMag-Both.

The fun begins when you try to burn out a fouled plug.

Hey Adam,

Pick me up one day, we'll fly to Twitchell in Maine and I'll show you how it's done. We could also ask the old man Tom O'Connell to teach you and If you really want it, by the end of the day you may be doing it yourself.

Gil

Now thats the best answer yet!

Back