Seaplane Rating....Traverse Air?

LowanSlow

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Midmoflyer
Hey all, looks like my IFR training will be put on hold till I graduate with my A&P in a year but I've been wanting to advance my knowledge and skill so I've been looking at gaining a rating, more specifically a seaplane rating. Ive been researching for a few weeks now and have found an outfit in Traverse City MI, Traverse Air INC. Does anyone have any experience training with them? and for any one with their ASES rating, what was training like for you. sorry if I sound like a noob but in all honesty, ive never been around Float planes all that much.

I did mine in the northwest, PA18-180 and a 172XP, most all my prior time to that was in tailwheels.

Frankly, it was the most fun I've had out of all the ratings and training I have received. About 6 years later I bought a 185 amphib, seaplane flying is super fun, but it's also the most dynamic and research and judgement intensive flying you can do, you're going to be going up with a CFI to known good spots, later on if you're ever cut loose without a CFI and want to explore around you really have to research the places you're going to land and that data isn't exactly in your AFD 90% of the time.

Here are a couple great books

The standard issue basics book

http://www.amazon.com/Notes-Seaplane-Instructor-Instructional-Training/dp/1560275588

The everything you ever needed to know and a little more, from design, to ice ops, to morning, seaplane base construction, seaplane recovery, tips and tricks, etc etc

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/1943?gclid=CLu8q7WrvMsCFQmSaQodjpABGQ

Good luck and have fun!

I used Tom for my Commercial Multi add on. I have nothing but great things to say about him and his operation. He's a great instructor and really makes things easy to learn and understand. PM me if you have any questions. There's another person on this board who flew with Tom for his multi add on as well.

I did my MEI with Tom while my buddy did his ASES with him. You'll fly his PA-12 from his dock in his family's back yard. He does a lot of training, does it well, and will get you what you need in a very short period of time---as in a weekend, and not a long one either (unless the weather is not working out). Nothing fancy here, plane is fueled by gas cans off the dock, meet his family who is incredibly used to random dudes passing in and out of the house. The examiner he uses is good; it's not going to be a cakewalk but everything you need to know will be in the material he sends you out ahead of time or covered during the training. Figure about three training flights and one checkride flight.

Good luck!

Heard nothing but good things about Tom. I think his SES course is about the cheapest around too. I am doing my CSES next month down at Jack Brown's. Only reason is because it's in Florida.

Heard nothing but good things about Tom. I think his SES course is about the cheapest around too. I am doing my CSES next month down at Jack Brown's. Only reason is because it's in Florida.

Traverse City is beautiful in August/September. The lake is probably still ice covered right now. :)

I really appreciate the quick responses everyone, Im looking at scheduling for around July or so when the frozen north is thawed out. From the sounds of it, I might have to look into knocking out both the multi and sea while im there since it is a bit of a drive from Missouri.

I the other guy who trained with Tom. Was supposed to be there this weekend adding ATP but I decided to go another route. Tom was my favorite instructor that has ever signed my logbook. Top notch gentleman

I really appreciate the quick responses everyone, Im looking at scheduling for around July or so when the frozen north is thawed out. From the sounds of it, I might have to look into knocking out both the multi and sea while im there since it is a bit of a drive from Missouri.
I'd start calling or emailing Tom now. He's probably getting quite busy now that things are starting to thaw out. I inquired in mid September for the commercial multi add on and his first availability was November.

I did my SES with Tom and it's pretty much like Brad says. He will send you a couple packets (or maybe PDF files now) on seaplane ops and the flight manual for the plane. Study up and know all your knowledge stuff before you get there.

Day 1 you'll go to his house and do a morning flight which consists of the basics. Then you'll go to lunch for a few hours, come back and do a second flight which covers most of the rest. You will do a bunch of lake hopping in the plane landing and departing from a bunch of the lakes in the area

Day 2 will be review in the morning, lunch, check ride in the afternoon.

Back