Seaplane in the Caribbean?

Biggles1998

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike_L
Hi
the wife is after a holiday in the Caribbean, but one provision i've come up with is that i get some airtime in a seaplane ;-) - after searching around i'm not seeing much in the way of rentals/training anyone have any links or suggestions to any?
thanks
Mike

Hi
the wife is after a holiday in the Caribbean, but one provision i've come up with is that i get some airtime in a seaplane ;-) - after searching around i'm not seeing much in the way of rentals/training anyone have any links or suggestions to any?
thanks
Mike
There is actually very limited use of seaplanes throughout much of the Caribbean, as few locations bother with sea bases. USVI uses Twin Otters, but I've actually never seen a GA aircraft on floats in the region.

I'll check around Puerto Rico for you, but my hunch is that you'd still love some SEL action.

I get the impression that there are very Caribbean locations that allow seaplanes. Jimmy Buffet recounted having lots of trouble trying to fly his Albatross around, had to land at airports on most of the islands.

There has to be a lot of profit margin for an operation to be successful in salt water. The corrosion seems to get everywhere, not just in the floats.

There is actually very limited use of seaplanes throughout much of the Caribbean, as few locations bother with sea bases. USVI uses Twin Otters, but I've actually never seen a GA aircraft on floats in the region.

I'll check around Puerto Rico for you, but my hunch is that you'd still love some SEL action.
That would be quite true any airtime would be great :), but i dont get much call for floats where i am and would be a nice idea to get up in one, but i think your right there doesnt seem to be much that i've seen around.. open to suggestions .. thanks

There are at least two good options in Florida - Jones Brothers in Tavares and Jack Brown's in Winter Haven. Obviously that would require a little more complex itinerary for a Caribbean vacation, but distance wise it's not too far out of the way.

That would be quite true any airtime would be great :), but i dont get much call for floats where i am and would be a nice idea to get up in one, but i think your right there doesnt seem to be much that i've seen around.. open to suggestions .. thanks
Where is/are your wife's preferred destination(s)?

Where is/are your wife's preferred destination(s)?
Hi - not sure there is a preference, was looking at Costa Rica, we’ve been to Antigua and Tobago before.. but then costs do make a deciding factor.. as I say open to suggestions :)

Here is the website for this operator: https://ulm-guadeloupe.com/

I don't know the organization. Room for the pilot and one paying customer in the Zenith.

I'll check with a friend from there who may know more.
Sorry, my friend didn't know the operators personally, although he's familiar with the operating base.

Back