SEA or PDX for customs

garyb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
garyb
Returning from the Middle East/Europe. Who's going to hassle me the least?

If you ain't breaking the law, it should not matter.

What are you trying to hide?

I assume you're talking airline arrivals? I've cleared customs at IAD, LAX, PIT, ... and it's never been more than a formality (I did get to talk to a nice lady at the Dept. of Agriculture about some food I declared).

I've been through both, not much difference. SEA has better staffing so if you come through on off hours you might get through a little faster. :dunno:

If you ain't breaking the law, it should not matter.

What are you trying to hide?

Not hiding anything, but you're dealing with people, and sometimes people can choose to be difficult and some areas have a reputation for it.

I haven't cleared customs in PDX, but do so now and then at SEA. SEA hasn't been an issue at any time. Just came through SFO yesterday and it was easy, too.

Not hiding anything, but you're dealing with people, and sometimes people can choose to be difficult and some areas have a reputation for it.

Stand around and watch a customs and immigration line. 90% of the delay, caused by people, is the people in the line that don't have their documents/bags ready.

The employees do a pretty good job of dealing with a bunch of jet-lagged sleep-walking "customers".

The difference between a "short" Customs line and a "long" Customs line, in my experience is likely not more than about 10 minutes. Hardly enough time to worry about what airport, take a longer flight, or endure a longer lay-over for a connecting flight.

Back