Sea Lion attacks

For whatever reason, maybe it's Hollywood, people like to humanize, or project human attributes onto wild animals. At the least they view them as domesticated. Maybe because some of them look cute, and cuddly. I don't know. Many of them would eat your face off in a heartbeat if given half a chance.

Here's my Non-PC view: The Sea Lions are biting back!

And @Anthony is referring to a common literary device: Personification

Girl got what she deserved. Sea lion warned her :). Never turn your back on a snapping sea creature...

And..parents are stupid for not paying attention. If a sea lion snapped at my son, I'd move him 3 feet from the edge of the deck in 2 seconds flat.

Last edited:
Don't know for sure what happened afterwards, but it looks like in the video that the girls parent(s) didn't even stop long enough to thank the man that jumped in to rescue her.

For whatever reason, maybe it's Hollywood, people like to humanize, or project human attributes onto wild animals. At the least they view them as domesticated. Maybe because some of them look cute, and cuddly. I don't know. Many of them would eat your face off in a heartbeat if given half a chance.

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.57.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Don't know for sure what happened afterwards, but it looks like in the video that the girls parent(s) didn't even stop long enough to thank the man that jumped in to rescue her.
That's what I thought, too. They hustled her out of there and left the other guy in the water.

News report I heard said family was violating the rules by feeding wild animals. Hope the family is held accountable for their deliberate and intentional actions - sure doesn't seem like the sea lion did anything wrong.

News report I heard said family was violating the rules by feeding wild animals. Hope the family is held accountable for their deliberate and intentional actions - sure doesn't seem like the sea lion did anything wrong.
I don't think it will prevent them from suing, though. :D

I think the term you're looking for is: anthropomorphisation

"It is a fact that although the Death of the Discworld is, in his own words, an ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION, he long ago gave up using the traditional skeletal horses, because of the bother of having to stop all the time to wire bits back on."

- Terry Pratchett, Mort

"Check out the big brain on brad!"
-Jules Winnfield

Did I think it was extreme? Yes, but at the time it seemed believable.
- Vincent Vega

Difference between Anthropomorphism and Personification
Anthropomorphism is also a type of personification that gives human characteristics to non-humans or objects especially animals. However, there is a slight difference between these two. Personification is an act of giving human characteristics to animals or objects to create imagery, while anthropomorphism aims to make an animal or object behave and appear like they are human beings.

Pinocchio, the famous wooden doll was anthropomorphized when he was given the ability to talk, walk, think, and feel like real boy. Fables and fairy tales usually have characters that can serve as anthropomorphism examples.

And @Anthony is referring to a common literary device: Personification

I would say they are both correct, but I don't use words such as these anymore since I negated my undergraduate English degree by getting a grad degree in something useful, and realistic. :) So words like "misogyny" etc just don't work for me. :D

Girl got what she deserved. Sea lion warned her :). Never turn your back on a snapping sea creature...

And..parents are stupid for not paying attention. If a sea lion snapped at my son, I'd move him 3 feet from the edge of the deck in 2 seconds flat.

That.

I think we need to start whacking them over the head when they are pups in Canada again and selling the furs.

I think we need to start whacking them over the head when they are pups in Canada again and selling the furs.

The parents would cry child abuse, besides it's not the kids fault it was raised poorly and not educated.

The guy who jumped in the water to save the girl interfered with Darwinism and should be fed to the sharks.

So if I can claim status as a wild animal and there is this Asian chick that...

Okay, where am I going with this...

There is a lot to be said about the sea creature part of this.

As a SCUBA diver, you learn just how toxic many (most) sea creatures are to humans. We have not evolved as part of that ecosystem and are insanely ill equipped to immerse ourselves in it.

This is exactly why you read about the "guy in Florida who swam every morning, but one day hops off his dock and lands on a bull shark- of course he fails to survive the encounter" or the toddler who strolls into a Florida lake at sunset and gets rolled by a gator (curse you Disney for allowing endemic predators into your wonderland!!), or why we have to pee on ourselves if we touch a piece of fan coral. How arrogant are we to think that the bobcat forgot to tell these aquatic animals who we are...

It looks cool, it IS cool, but understand that when you step in the water, you step into the foodchain.

That was east coast seals, not west coast sea lions. :cool:

32 points for Bryan

I demand an appeal on this point award because @SixPapaCharlie was clearly wrong in his interpretation of the literary device.

For him to be correct the story would have to be about Siggy the Sea Lion or some other named character.

Among other potentially dangerous critters, we have both black bears and grizzlies in the national parks near where I live. I am constantly amazed at the utterly idiot things summer tourists will do stopping on the highway and getting out of their cars with their kids and their cameras when they spot a bear. I get the feeling some people actually think these animals really are just like Yogi & Boo Boo.

One of the dumbest was a nitwit who had his kid tossing bits of a peanut butter sandwich in an attempt to lure the bear closer to get a picture.

That was funny! A gutty move by the guy who leaped in, though he did cheat natural selection a little bit. No matter; it all returns to the mean eventually. .

Among other potentially dangerous critters, we have both black bears and grizzlies in the national parks near where I live. I am constantly amazed at the utterly idiot things summer tourists will do stopping on the highway and getting out of their cars with their kids and their cameras when they spot a bear. I get the feeling some people actually think these animals really are just like Yogi & Boo Boo.

One of the dumbest was a nitwit who had his kid tossing bits of a peanut butter sandwich in an attempt to lure the bear closer to get a picture.
It's okay the bears have a deal with the park rangers.

I demand an appeal on this point award because @SixPapaCharlie was clearly wrong in his interpretation of the literary device.

For him to be correct the story would have to be about Siggy the Sea Lion or some other named character.
Challenge over ruled based on points not being awarded by proper use of the term but by the Hasbro Inc scoring system.

That was funny! A gutty move by the guy who leaped in, though he did cheat natural selection a little bit. No matter; it all returns to the mean eventually. .

Authorities are looking for the girl, and family. If the Sea Lion bit her, there is an excellent chance for infection.

Here's where the Darwin award will be awarded.

'Unbelievable': Dozens swarm dock where sea lion grabbed girl, despite warnings

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4126825

Authorities are looking for the girl, and family. If the Sea Lion bit her, there is an excellent chance for infection.

But veterinarians quickly administered antibiotics and we are happy to report that the sea lion is expected to make a full recovery.

Last edited:
I used to work with sea lions. They don't "attack" - sometimes they nip. Much more likely the sea lion has experience with dragging bags or sacks into the water that might have food in them for a snack and it was fooled by the dress on the girl. What is true is they are INCREDIBLY fast and strong when they want to be.

I had two friends that were eaten by a Grizzly bear in Glacier National Park as they slept in their tent. A man, and a woman. To this day, I will not be a soft target in Griz country.

Back