SE PoA - Who's flying today?

Regale us with your gusty crosswind derring-do! (Not sure that's spelled correctly)

I was out in the hot air balloon today. Just the right technique, feathered the burner perfectly, and put 'er right on the numbers. I don't see why others have so much difficulty with crosswinds. ;-)

I was out in the hot air balloon today. Just the right technique, feathered the burner perfectly, and put 'er right on the numbers. I don't see why others have so much difficulty with crosswinds. ;-)

Balloon??? How am I just hearing about this? I want a ride! :)

13G28 with airmets and sigmets for turb. No thanks.

About to fly the work airplane home from Florida to the NE. I'm hoping 410 gets us above the bumps.

I took the light sport up to Williston and did a touch and go at brooksville. It was a bit “sporty”. I was pretty close to zero ground speed on the landing at bkv.

3 and 4 days ago winds in ORD and EWR were upper 20s gusting into the 40s. Made for a fun time. Had to do the stadium visual 29 into ewr the first time i've seen them use that due to winds. Usually they just throw you on 4 or 22 no matter what.

Made for some fun watching during the wait to take off.

Nope, way too windy today.

Took 100ktas+ on the nose for the better part of an hour before I decided to spend the fuel and go low.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N425XP/history/20191201/1815Z/KJWN/KSXK/tracklog

The winter westbound flights in turbines are painful. I saw one post of a jet of some sort doing around 210 KTS GS with >400 KTAS. I've seen some various cost analysis that basically have said with the winter winds it usually makes sense to just go lower and burn the fuel.

Last winter I had one flight in the MU-2 where I ended up getting pushed up to FL240 westbound to stay above weather/icing. I was doing something like 160-17 kts. Ouch.

The winter westbound flights in turbines are painful. I saw one post of a jet of some sort doing around 210 KTS GS with >400 KTAS. I've seen some various cost analysis that basically have said with the winter winds it usually makes sense to just go lower and burn the fuel.

Last winter I had one flight in the MU-2 where I ended up getting pushed up to FL240 westbound to stay above weather/icing. I was doing something like 160-17 kts. Ouch.

Not when you get paid by the minute to fly them. I had 150 or so on the nose last week PHL-CVG and then close to that CVG-MCI.

Not when you get paid by the minute to fly them. I had 150 or so on the nose last week PHL-CVG and then close to that CVG-MCI.

I'm talking about the costs of the aircraft, not the salary for airline pilots. :)

I'm talking about the costs of the aircraft, not the salary for airline pilots. :)

I meant the painful part. I'm sure it's cheaper to go lower in a turboprop. There is no "down low" in a 200, we're down low to start with.

Not a good day today little airplane heavy gusty winds. Going out to touch and go Tuesday in Florida tomorrow.

Back