Screwy IFR routing.

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
On my latest trip to Las Vegas from San Diego and on the return flight, I got some pretty screwy routing that I just wanted to comment on.

Returning from Vegas (VGT) to San Diego (SEE), I filed as follows: No need to read all this unless you really want to, I filed to the fix at the airport (on the airway) that the Localizer D approach begins on.

Northtown One departure (which they insert) LAS V538 Goffs V514 Baret.

So Cal came on with the amended clearance stuff and routed me the same way except to MZB instead of Baret (past the airport fix to a VOR over the coast). They've done this several times; so, I finally asked about it when the controller was free. He said he didn't know why they took be by the airport, they just did.

Also, on departure, I filed V-66 IPL (for the climb) then J2 to Gila Bend (GBN) on departure, clearance changed J2 to J18 (they both go to Gila Bend). When I asked why, he said that the computer did it; he had a lot of folks ask the same thing. It's just the way the computer needed it to be.

After El Paso on the way back to Dallas, Albuquerque Center gave me the Glen Rose Eight arrival (which I knew was wrong). When I asked why, they said that's what they were showing. As soon as I moved to Fort Worth, they changed it to the correct arrival.

In thirty five years of flying, I understand most of this stuff. Every time I get an explanation like the computer needs it that way or that's the way I'm showing it; it kinna bugs me :rolleyes:

Best,

Dave

...you felt the Knead for something different? ;)

"The computer" also does non-sensical things in Atlanta. Coming from the northwest into Atlanta ZTL's computer always gives an amended clearance that takes us the wrong way (long way) around the Class B airspace to our airport. I've learned to just ask Atlanta Center to leave me on my original clearance until I can get handed off to Approach who gladly vectors us correctly. Approach laughs when they hear what the amended clearance wanted us to do, but no one can explain why the computer is programmed the way it is.

I feel guilty clogging up the frequency arguing an amended clearance, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Dave Siciliano said:
In thirty five years of flying, I understand most of this stuff. Every time I get an explanation like the computer needs it that way or that's the way I'm showing it; it kinna bugs me :rolleyes:

Best,

Dave

There's a lot of that. I'll routinely get cleared by Memphis Center or some other controller direct to Stinson - even when I file the Marcs7 Arrival. It will be changed once I get into Houston airspace.

As for flying by the airport, that seems routine in other places, too. If you fly ot Frederick, Maryland, you'll get routed over the Westminster VOR, 10 miles to the east of the airport (you can try requesting the GPS-5, in which case you MIGHT get clearance via MRB).

SCCutler said:
...you felt the Knead for something different? ;)

Yea Spike, Kneaded 5!!

Glen Rose 8 could work, but have you ever read the notes?? There are several conficts on the notes; you're supposed to go this way, but if you're not turbine--that a way, but if you're going to Addison, Love, or McKinney, another way. I could see where one could take one of five routes and feel correct on each of them! Geesh. Oh yea, then you get a tour of north Texas before heading home. Makes fuel planning a useless exercise!

Dave

stars... just one of those things that will always remain a little surprise in every pilots life.
"The Xxxx5 arrival? OK. I guess we can do that."
The problem is us. We are left-brained types who yearn for predictability!

Lance F said:
"The computer" also does non-sensical things in Atlanta. Coming from the northwest into Atlanta ZTL's computer always gives an amended clearance that takes us the wrong way (long way) around the Class B airspace to our airport. I've learned to just ask Atlanta Center to leave me on my original clearance until I can get handed off to Approach who gladly vectors us correctly. Approach laughs when they hear what the amended clearance wanted us to do, but no one can explain why the computer is programmed the way it is.

I feel guilty clogging up the frequency arguing an amended clearance, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm not sure where this comes from, but departing my home base (12 nm ESE of KMSP) to the east, I almost always file to a VOR far enough south of KMSP to avoid the jet traffic and about one in three times my initial clearance includes vectors around the north side of the Class B and most of the time when that happens, I get a takeoff clearance to the south followed by a vector to... you guessed it, the same VOR I filed to. It's like clearance delivery doesn't talk to departure at all.

Back