Scott!!

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
have you read Colleen McCullough's books on Rome? I just got a really strong recommendation for all of her books - a series of 6 - over a 1000 pages each. will I explode?

No I have not but I read the Thorn Birds years ago. I'll be they are good.

Hmmm, perhaps a visit to Amazon or B&Ns,, hmmmmmm

Last edited:
When does the movie come out? That's just too much reading.

Worse yet, imagine it being read by Martha King!

N2212R said:
Worse yet, imagine it being read by Martha King!

Oh, no! I'm having enough "quality time" with her right now studying for my IR written. :p

Beth:

Being the world traveler you are, and with all your experiences abroad, could I talk you into some recommendations for Germany and France next summer with my nieces?

I'd like to see Normandy--the beaches and any D-day related stuff; then, a couple days in Paris.

My niece, Lindsay, has been to Germany before as an exchange student and would like to go back for a week. So, we're thinking of a week in each country.

Where should we fly into and out of? Will a rail pass work inbetween? Anyway, I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Best,

Dave

Where in Germany? You can get an open jaw ticket - into Paris and out of Germany and it will save you backtracking. Trains are definitely the way to go if you are covering distance, although Easyjet and the like are pretty quick - you just have security to go through.

when are you going? have you looked into lodging? If you're really into getting as much out of the WWII aspect of it as possible, try to stay with the Chilcotts in Bayeux - he's a retired "Leftnant" Colonel and is a font of knowledge. if you can't stay there (he's very popular) stay nearby and maybe tag onto a tour with him - he isn't cheap but if it's a group you can split it.

If it were me I'd rent a car for the Normandy part of it - you can pickup - dropoff really easily. leaving CDG airport via car is a snap. getting back is too. French road signs are VERY well marked, it's hard to get lost over there.

what other things are you interested in?

woodstock said:
Where in Germany? You can get an open jaw ticket - into Paris and out of Germany and it will save you backtracking. Trains are definitely the way to go if you are covering distance, although Easyjet and the like are pretty quick - you just have security to go through.

We haven't decided in Germany, but I'm sure my niece will have a bunch of ideas! She's thrown a few out, but I'll try to get her to send some so you have some perspective!!

when are you going?

This would be the end of July of '07. We go that time each year--right about Oshkosh--get her out of there (she's in college there).

have you looked into lodging? If you're really into getting as much out of the WWII aspect of it as possible, try to stay with the Chilcotts in Bayeux - he's a retired "Leftnant" Colonel and is a font of knowledge. if you can't stay there (he's very popular) stay nearby and maybe tag onto a tour with him - he isn't cheap but if it's a group you can split it.

Staying with him sounds great, but the girls will probably get there fill in a couple days. I was thinking a few days here, then, on to Paris. I've stayed at Cafe de la Paix there many moons ago, or someplace near there would be great. Any Starwood stuff? (embarassed grin), I have a lot of points with them. Where should we fly into? I'd like to go to Normandy first.

If it were me I'd rent a car for the Normandy part of it - you can pickup - dropoff really easily. leaving CDG airport via car is a snap. getting back is too. French road signs are VERY well marked, it's hard to get lost over there.

what other things are you interested in?

In Paris, just the normal stuff; cathedrals, history, museums. A day in the wine country would be wonderful. Went to Chanesseau before (sic) the King's lady friend's palace. That would be great to show the girls.

Would we take the plane to Germany or go by rail? Then, depart from somewhere there?

Any reading recommendations?

Best,

Dave

oh boy. let me think about the whole deal for recos - I'd say for starters if you have not already, Stephen Ambrose's book on D-Day.

The Loire Valley is very pretty and I think you could fit that into a week in France overall. It would be a lot of driving though. The castles are less than two hours from Paris - the start anyway - but then to get back UP to Normandy after your visit there would be several hours - you're going west and south, whereas Normandy is north and west. although if you went straight to Normandy you could hit Giverny (Monet's home) and there are ruins of a 13th century castle nearby - Richard the Lionhearted's fortifications. a good overlook point for the Seine river.

I am really partial to DK - Dorling Kindersley - guides (Top Ten series are compact and good to take along - DK's larger ones are good for reading ahead of time and if you don't mind packing weight with you) as well as anything by Time Out - which concentrates mostly on cities. Cadogan is also quite good.

which parts of Germany?

I'll give this more thought. give me some targets to think about.

one piece of advice I tell everyone and always comes back to me that it was "the best advice they got" was this: when you get to Paris, buy a "Museums and Monuments" pass - good for one day, three, and maybe 5 days. It covers many bigger museums you will want to visit and it's a line jumper pass more than anything - it won't save you money per se (it could, if you really visit many of them) but it's worth twice its cost in time savings - literally a line jumper pass - go to the front door and wave it, they let you in. surprisingly not a lot of people know about this, or, since it isn't cheap they figure they'd rather wait in line. me? I'd rather pay extra to get inside and out quickly. you may scoff but wait until you see some of the lines.

go to the top of the Arch of Triumph. good viewpoints! ditto Eiffel Tower - and if you wait until later in the evening the lines are shorter. ie. even ten PM is a good time. it's light until nearly then in June anyway. climb Notre Dame too - also good viewpoints. Sacre Coeur is worth a good look.

a good movie to watch before I forget: Amelie. this will also show you some places to visit.

Dave,

If Beth doesn't mind, I'll expand a bit on her comments.

Long-haul trains in Europe are fast, efficient, and generally comfortable. Were it me, I wouldn't even bother flying from France to Germany - take the train and take in the sights. If you can swing up through Switzerland, the scenery is fantastic - and some of the railways in CH are engineering feats!

Check on the rail passes. Used to be that you could get a pass that was good for a certain number of discreet days (like 3) out of a 7 day period. If you're traveling and stopping for a few days in each place, that kind of deal is much more cost-efficient than a 7 day unlimited pass. You WILL need reservations on most of the long haul trains - the reservations come at a price above and beyond the ticket price, and (if you have a pass) they are booked separately. Travel agents here in the US can book some of the rail stuff in Europe, or you can do it once you get over there.

The roads in Europe are good and well marked, so driving is do-able. In some countries you must have a highway sticker (Swiss and Austria are two that I recall off the top of my head) for the superhighways. In Italy and certain roads in France, there are toll roads - Euros and credit cards accepted.

I use AutoEurope for my car reservations (www.autoeurope.com). I've found them to provide outstanding service, and great prices. If you go that route, look carefully at the airport you fly into - if it's near the border, price a pickup on either side of the border. The price may be markedly different. Also, you can save the airport fees (sometimes as much as 25% of the rental cost) by picking the car up in town. Most European airports have rail terminals in the airport, so it's easy to get to a rental office in town. Also, you can save big $$$ on parking fees in cities like Paris if you pick up the car when leaving.

I've been quite successful at the city pick-up of a car in Geneva, Paris, Zurich, London, Munich, and Amsterdam. In several of those cases, I spent the first 3-4 days in the city, then picked up the car and headed for the country. Saved $$$ bigtime.

(Rant on) With all due respect to Beth, CDG is one of the WORST airports to arrive into or depart from. All on the airside. The plane will often arrive at a remote stand, and you'll be bussed to the terminal, sometimes passing 2 terminals before arriving at the drop-off point. It is horrible for connections. Once you get to the train station or car, it's fairly easy, but takes forever. (rant off).

My favorite airports in Europe include Zurich, Amsterdam, Munich, Oslo, and Nice. CDG and the two London airports are about the worst.

As for hotels, you can find the usual plethora of US-type hotels (Marriott, Hilton, Starwood, etc), or go with the more quaint European style. I like the off-beat hotels, and generally try to stay there. In France, you might take a look at: http://www.chateauxhotels.com/public/accueil/ . I've stayed in some fabulous places, some really unique places, and some places where I've been like family (literally: one inn owner set us up for dinner "family style" at her son's restaurant in town.).

As for where to go, the list is long. You know about Paris. Amsterdam has art (think Renoir), with a fabulous outdoor sculpture garden outside of town, as well as history (Anne Frank). If you do Germany, make sure you visit Dachau or one of the other former concentration camps - spooky. And there is some interesting stuff in the Black FOrest area. France has plenty of history, wine, and culture - pretty much anywhere you go.

July is almost "holiday time", so make reservations early.

Were it me, I might fly into CDG, take the train into town, do Paris for a few days, pick up a car, head to the west (go to Giverny on the way out), spend a couple of days in Normandy, then drive over to Champagne country, a night or so there (I stayed in a castle w/moat that's now a hotel, see site above), then over toward Germany and the Black Forest. Would probably do Munich or Frankfort, head south, spend the last night on the Swiss side of Lake Constance, and fly out of Zurich. But that's just me....

woodstock said:
one piece of advice I tell everyone and always comes back to me that it was "the best advice they got" was this: when you get to Paris, buy a "Museums and Monuments" pass - good for one day, three, and maybe 5 days. It covers many bigger museums you will want to visit and it's a line jumper pass more than anything - it won't save you money per se (it could, if you really visit many of them) but it's worth twice its cost in time savings - literally a line jumper pass - go to the front door and wave it, they let you in. surprisingly not a lot of people know about this, or, since it isn't cheap they figure they'd rather wait in line. me? I'd rather pay extra to get inside and out quickly. you may scoff but wait until you see some of the lines.

Great advice, and true for many other European cities, too.

go to the top of the Arch of Triumph. good viewpoints! ditto Eiffel Tower - and if you wait until later in the evening the lines are shorter. ie. even ten PM is a good time. it's light until nearly then in June anyway. climb Notre Dame too - also good viewpoints. Sacre Coeur is worth a good look.

Bateaux Mouches is worth the ride, especially at sunset.

for Germany I'd stay south - Bavaria for the most part although there are Rhine castles too which are nice and Heidelberg is pretty. Dachau is a suburb of Munich - how banal does that sound - and you can take a short train ride there. (how fitting). you should definitely rent a car while in Germany - experience the Autobahn. preferably in a BMW or Benz...

if you do go to Chenonceau, you're close to some wine country. and other castles. Champagne would be nice too - I haven't been yet.

Paris and no one has mentioned the Louvre!!! WOW! that place is great.

Also the Rodin museum, latin quarter, I hear there are some good impresionist paintings in Paris too ;)

If you are looking for good food I have a recomendation but we are talking about $150/person or more to eat there.

In addition to the North of France and Paris stop by Provence. The beaches are beautiful. I hope to be able to con-work into sending me back some more and perhaps get them to give me an ex-pat assignment there as well.

For travelling I prefer the rail. Do NOT get a eurorail pass though. Those are for first class travel and are sold in America, wait until you get to Europe and get a eurorail pass. Much cheaper and it is for 2nd class travel. The 2nd class is every bit as good as first class except you have to walk to the dinning car to get your meal.

In Germany I agree with Elizabeth, Bavaria is the place to go. Lots of history and beauty. If you go to Munich and that area, also stop by the Dachau Concentration camp. It is always good to be reminded the evil can exist amidst beauty if one were to simply look the other way when evil deeds are being done.

Last edited:
woodstock said:
oh boy. let me think about the whole deal for recos - I'd say for starters if you have not already, Stephen Ambrose's book on D-Day.

Thanks, I've read Ambrose's book and several others. I may revisit them. This is great help for us to begin out focus. Last trip I went to where Moet is made and of course, the Dom in Champaign--still have a bottle or two. I really love your suggestion of staying with the Lt. you mentioned. Can that be just for three or four days?

Dave

smigaldi said:
Paris and no one has mentioned the Louvre!!! WOW! that place is great.

Scott; Louvre is mandatory; just assumed you knew we'd go.

Also the Rodin museum, latin quarter, I hear there are some good impresionist paintings in Paris too ;)

If you are looking for good food I have a recomendation but we are talking about $150/person or more to eat there.

One thing I would like to do is take the girls somewhere where there is some entertainment while they eat a seven course meal. They've never done that, and I've only done it once. French pastries for desert (I did it in Quebec)

In addition to the North of France and Paris stop by Provence. The beaches are beautiful. I hope to be able to con-work into sending me back some more and perhaps get them to give me an ex-pat assignment there as well.

My current subdivision is named provence and I would love to see it if at all possible. Local historic family names; so, some incongruity, but well intended.

For travelling I prefer the rail. Do NOT get a eurorail pass though. Those are for first class travel and are sold in America, wait until you get to Europe and get a eurorail pass. Much cheaper and it is for 2nd class travel. The 2nd class is every bit as good as first class except you have to walk to the dinning car to get your meal.

In Germany I agree with Elizabeth, Bavaria is the place to go. Lots of history and beauty. If you go to Munich and that area, also stop by the Dachau Concentration camp. It is always good to be reminded the evil can exist amidst beauty if one were to simply look the other way when evil deeds are being done.

Lindsay stopped at Dachau when she was there. Sounds like quite a downer, but would certainly be worthy.

Thanks.

wsuffa said:
Great advice, and true for many other European cities, too.

Bateaux Mouches is worth the ride, especially at sunset.

What can I say Bill. Went on the River Boat last time on Bastelle (sic) day. Quite the deal. I'll have to brush up on my French and German.

Wow, you folks are really gonna help get this off to a great start.

Thanks

here is a trip I did 2 yrs ago. if you click on the story it will give you a rough itinerary.

I spent a week in France (Paris for a few days, then Brittany and Normandy) and then flew Easyjet to Geneva for a week in Switzerland - met up with friends in St Moritz after a few days by myself in Zermatt. they lived in Munich and it took them the better part of a day to meet up with me so you'd be hard pressed to go that far, if you really wanted to spend time in Germany anyway.

at any rate, I landed in Vevey (on Lake Geneva) at night and woke up the next morning feeling like I stepped onto the Wizard of Oz set - dark night when I arrived and woke up to crystal blue skies, snow capped mountain paradise the next morning. I then left for Zermatt and after a few days took the Glacier Express to St. Moritz. (stories are below)

in order, more or less:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/54195/index.html

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/78130/index.html

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/58769/index.html

Dave Siciliano said:
Lindsay stopped at Dachau when she was there. Sounds like quite a downer, but would certainly be worthy.

Thanks.

Dachau is one of the most powerful experiences I've ever had in my life. And it was worth it. After we left, I don't think my ex-wife or I said a word for a couple of hours.

When we first went in the museum area, we each stopped in the rest rooms. My ex- asked if I had heard the foot steps - she heard sharp, boot-like footsteps, walking through the ladies room - even though no one was in the building (much less the facilities). I felt a cold draft and a feeling like I was being watched the whole time I was in the mens room.

There are unsettled souls there. For real. I have never felt as "spooky" before or since.

Munich is also home of the site of the Olympics hostage event. The buildings still stand. It's not out of the way going to Dachau.

If nothing else, these somber sites remind us of the importance of freedom and the impact of terrorism.

I have no desire to go to Europe. I figure there's a reason they all left to come here. :)

I'm with Beth on Bavaria and Switzerland.

The swath from the Black Forest across to Bavaria is the best part of Germany, IMHO.

I think it's July - but may be late June - there is a lake festival on Lake Constance.

Provence is nice, but really is best in late April and May. Lavender season. In the summer, there are quite the crowds that escape Paris. This is worse in August, but still some in July. Were it me, I'd do Provence and Tuscany together - fly into Nice (there are direct flights from the US), do Provence, then go down to Tuscany. I think of that more as a spring/late spring trip.

I love Vienna as a city, too. That's a bit further afield, and is probably best done as a trip that takes in Prague. Salzburg is a long day trip from Munich, it's a fabulous city, but would be packed with tourists in the summer.

Outside of Munich, the trip to mad King Ludwig's castle is worthwhile. This was the castle from which the Disney Magic Kingdom castle was modeled.

I'd love to see Berlin. Never found a way to get there, yet.

There is, as you can imagine, plenty of good food in Paris. Look for the Prix Fixe meals, 3, 4, 5 course. Great food, and reasonably priced if you go to the right place. I've never done dinner theater in Paris, but it is available. Check out what's playing at the opera (I like to stay at the Westminster, which is just down the street from the Opera. I've also stayed at the Lutetia, which was OK - but older). If you didn't have the girls, you could go to Moulin Rouge. :rolleyes:

I think France has been covered. Normandy is a must. We took our kids on a 5 1/2 week trip around Europe in 1992. It was very powerful looking over Omaha Beach, realizing that my mother-in-law had come ashore there on June 7, 1944 (Army nurse). And the American cemetery will drive home the cost of freedom.

Now, Germany. How much time have you got? :D I was in Berlin in May. It had been 35 years since the last visit. A "few" changes to be sure. Well worth while. Go to Checkpoint Charlie.

Get a car and drive. Rothenburg ob der Tauber on the Romantic Highway is a must. It's an old walled medieval city. If you don't like Rothenberg you shouldn't visit Germany. Drive down the Rhine downstream from Frankfurt and up the Mosel. Oh, and there's a lot more to see in Bavaria than just Neuschwanstein.

Get one of Rick Steves' books. Stay in B&Bs. Or a hotel on Rue Claire in Paris. We've used his books more than once in Europe and he has yet to steer us wrong.

Sorry if this was a little disjointed, but the idea was to throw out ideas, not set an itinerary. The key thing is to be flexible and have fun.

Ok Scott, here's my suggestion: DO THE AUTOBAHN. Its a story you'll always have.

Also - check out Rotenberg. There is a picture that is very, very famous, and you can see the scene in real life from there (I can't find the picture, but I'm sure it is online somewhere). They also have claim to a world famous Glockenspiel (others have claim, but from personal experience I can say that the Rotenberg one is the most impressive).

I also say that for a short trip, Bavaria is the place to go. Check out Neuschwanstein and Ludwig's stuff if you get a chance, you won't be sorry. Of all the castles in Germany, I found that one to be the most impressive.

edit: wow - I didn't see Ghery's post above mine, I didn't even see the 2nd page, and we almost suggested identical ideas. I need something unique:

Eagle's Nest, one of Hitler's nicest resorts, just outside of Birchesgaden, is really neat. Actually, Birchesgaden itself is really neat. There is also Koernigsee (spelling is not right, I know that) which used to be an AFRC but is now all German again. No really impressive history, but it is a really neat place. This is my birth area too - I was born in Landstuhl ob der Rhinefeld, just outside of Kaiserslautern, and maybe most of the enjoyment of visiting it was just to know that was where I was born.

Don't suppose you'll be going to northern Italy by any chance? If so, I have MANY suggestions for places to see (I lived between Verona and Vicenza for 3 years).

Last edited:
Getting back to the original question... (but not Scott...)

I read the first book of the series with high hopes, having read several of her earlier works. By the time I got to the end, though, I was glad to close it up. The writing was good enough, but I found that I just couldn't care about any of the characters she created. On the other hand, my wife felt the same way after reading Dorothy Dunnet's first book of the Lymond Chronicles, and I thought that series was fantastic.

Dan

woodstock said:
I almost said Army then changed it. that must have been a lot of fun. where else did you live?

Well, I was born in Landstuhl, Germany, and then I moved to Fort Huachuca, AZ. From there we moved to Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque. After that, it was Verona, IT (can't remember the name of the installation...it was a little compund right on the Adige). We lived in Montecchia de Crosara, a little mountain village in the foothills of the Alps. After that, it was Fort Bliss while my dad retired, and then back to Albuquerque where he chose to spend his retirement.

At 18, I decided to be a pro-wrestler, and I moved to Manchester to learn, and then after 3 years, moved back to Albuquerque. This damn city keeps bringing me back.

woodstock said:
England? really?? to wrestle?

err...sorry, should have been more specific - *NEW* England, as in Manchester, NH. And yeah, to wrestle professionally. Not quite as impressive as England (which I've visited), but still, much nicer than Albuquerque.

Thanks folks! I'll forward all these suggestions on to my nieces and see what they think. It will be difficult to work all this in; only planning on two weeks over there. I'll touch base again as we plan. It's pretty far ahead. Usually we don't begin booking until after Christmas.

Best,

Dave

woodstock said:
I've got an insane amount of travel books, just let me know...

If there's something you recommend or want to lend, let me know. I'd love to have the girls start reading before we go--get immersed in the culture and trip!!

Best,

Dave

did you send to them my email?

are you indeed going to the Champagne region? Another very interesting book in general was Wine and War - how the French saved their wine from the Nazis (or something like that - I paraphrase the title).

Scott, how are Colleen's books?

woodstock said:
Scott, how are Colleen's books?

Started the first one and so far it has been really good. I was at Banjo camp this last weekend and started reading it on the plane. I thought I would have time at camp to read more but I did not. I was playing form dawn to dusk all weekend.

smigaldi said:
Started the first one and so far it has been really good. I was at Banjo camp this last weekend and started reading it on the plane. I thought I would have time at camp to read more but I did not. I was playing form dawn to dusk all weekend.

Banjo camp? for real? did you bring your own?

Back