Scotch or Bourbon vs Tequila

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
When I drink Scotch, I like good Scotch,
When I drink Bourbon, I like good bourbon,
But when I drink tequila, I can't tell much difference between cheap and expensive (not that I have had much Tequila since college, and then it was all the cheap brands).

What do you like in a sipping Tequila?

I usually drink spirits straight, or perhaps a small Ice cube occasionally. Or if Vodka, shaken with ice and poured over a couple of Jalapeno/Garlic olives from Sams.

BTW, these are great:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/member-s...olives-20-5-oz/prod20582747?xid=plp_product_2

When I want to make a cheap margarita at home I use tequila, it's lighter and more sweet ... when I want good tequila I drink mezcal, it has significantly more complexity of flavor in my lowly opinion.

Although for full disclosure I'm a Bourbon and Scotch kinda guy ... and flavor complexity is my jam.

During the pandemic, I tried a couple of tequilas on the recommendation of my local store's staff. I'm no expert, but I'm way smarter now than I was 3 years ago, and have a few bottles in my cabinet that I like to drink neat.

If you're going to drink a tequila for taste and not to get drunk, then skip the stuff you knew from college. (That also applies to...well, just about every type of alcohol, so maybe not so helpful).

But also, start looking at the tequilas that have been aged a little bit: Reposados, Añejos, and Extra Añejos. Those are listed in order of aging duration, and the longer a tequila is aged, the smoother and "sweeter" (and darker) it tends to become. There is usually a pretty huge difference in flavor profile between the Blanco (white/clear) and the Extra Añejo version of the same tequila. Note that "aged" tequilas are aged on the order of months or a few years--I'm sure someone makes a "12 year old" tequila, but that's gonna be a gimmick and not normal.

Some of the extra añejos I've tasted in the last few years remind me more of a port wine than the tequila from my school days. But then, none of the tequilas I've had in the last few years remind me anything of what I had in college....

If all you know of tequila is bottom-shelf Sauza or Jose Cuervo, then judging all tequilas based on that would be like judging all beers by what you know of Miller Lite.

Tequila I’ll either make a margarita or a shot, not really into sipping it. Had some whiskey last night and that was enjoyable. I’ll start with it neat but I usually like to add ice mostly for temperature reasons.

The thing about tequila is that the price differential between rotgut and enjoyable is much higher than for scotch and bourbon. I buy scotch and vodka, and I have bought bourbon, gin and rum, but I have never and probably will never buy tequila.

If you're going to go the tequila route, look for additive free stuff. The good stuff stands on its own. The stuff masquerading as good stuff (casamigos, Clase Azul, don julio) has sugar added to it to. The sugared down stuff is tasty, just know a true enthusiast will die inside if you offer them some "good tequila" and you pull out some phoney Clase Azul or George Clooney.

I drink gin.

But when I drink tequila- sipping with squeeze a lime I love Casamigos.

Just sipping straight don Julio 1942.

shooting :| patron silver

there is a big difference between good and crappy tequila IMO

05042004.png

Blanco/gold for shots.

Reposado for sipping. I find I prefer then over the Anejos.

If you think the difference between basic and good tequila is a lot, try the better Scotches. My most expensive bottle was $600 and is now worth over $4000.

I drink gin.

But when I drink tequila- sipping with squeeze a lime I love Casamigos.

Just sipping straight don Julio 1942.

shooting :| patron silver

there is a big difference between good and crappy tequila IMO
You should give some good tequila a try. All those you listed have sugars added to improve their flavor.

Hey, something I've actually "researched" since I've lived in Mexico for the past 12 years.

My favorite "normal" tequila is Gran Centenario Reposado. $30 a bottle in the US.

My favorite luxury tequila Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. $150 a bottle in the US.

It's been as low as $8.99 a bottle at the LGS, but Svedka is the vodka equivalent of a $30 bottle of scotch or a $60 bottle of tequila. At least in terms of drinkability.

Malort.

Kidding. Cruel party joke for the unaware.

Tequila? That stuff makes your clothes fall off.
And in 9 months your name appears on a birth certificate.

Who the hell sips tequila? The stuff tastes so bad that slamming down a shot is the only option.

I learned in college that tequila often has consequences. :hairraise: But those consequences may include good stories.

Nowadays I prefer a good single malt.

As mentioned above, Jose Cuervo Riserva De La Familia is excellent. If you’re getting ready to make some kind of remark about it being from Cuervo, you just drank too much crap Cuervo Gold in the 80’s. RISERVA IS EXCELLENT.

I also really like Dulce Amargura Extra Anejo.
https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/t...g_RRpE8riloK44Ou8PBoCiFsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

these Tequilas are way past what most people think of when Tequila is mentioned. Pour an ounce neat and serve it next to a good bourbon, you’ll be surprised.

Back