Scholarships!

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
It's that time of year again!

There are scholarships available through Women in Corporate Aviation www.wca-intl.org, Deadline Aug 30th and Women in Aviation. Apply! :D

Women in Corporate Aviation Intl Fall Scholarships

• Aircare FACTS Training Value: $4,675
  • ATI International Flight Procedures Training Scholarship: Value $1,700
  • Corporate Flight attendant Training by Susan C. Friedenberg: Value $4,200
  • CAE SimuFlite CJ3 Type Rating Scholarship: Value $22,000
  • Gulfstream Aerospace Corporate Maintenance Technology Scholarship: Value $10,000 (2 Awards Total)
  • MedAire's Management of In*flight & Illness Training Course Scholarship: Value $1,122
  • Universal Weather and Aviation, Inc. hybrid Aircraft Dispatcher Course: Value $9,000 (3 Awards Total)
  • WCA Career Scholarship: Value $2,000
  • WCA Leadership Scholarship: Value Up to $4,000
  • Signature Flight Support Corporation Scholarship: Value $3,000

I'm obsessed with saying, "Thanks!" to Stacey for posting this information.

Anything that helps to expand the footprint of aviation is a good thing, and improving the traditionally-poor participation rate of women is a valuable initiative.

Anything that helps to expand the footprint of aviation is a good thing, and improving the traditionally-poor participation rate of women is a valuable initiative.

Yep. Discrimination is bad except when it's for a good cause.

Yep. Discrimination is bad except when it's for a good cause.

I'm amazed how clueless you are. :dunno: You do realize that women only make up something like less than 7% of pilots right? Helping more women get involved is not discrimination against the other 93%.

Thanks Spike!

How do you get more women in aviation? I had a call from a professor at a local college this week asking me that... If we knew the answer to that we'd have more than 6% female pilots.

I'm amazed how clueless you are. :dunno: You do realize that women only make up something like less than 7% of pilots right? Helping more women get involved is not discrimination against the other 93%.

I am amazed at how blind you are.

Thanks Spike!

How do you get more women in aviation? I had a call from a professor at a local college this week asking me that... If we knew the answer to that we'd have more than 6% female pilots.
Mary and I have wracked our brains on that question for two decades. We are no closer to an answer today, other than to observe that, for whatever reason, fewer girls than boys are driven to learn to fly.

Are you obsessed with turning this thread?

You are right. My comment was probably in poor taste and I apologize. Sometimes my sarcasm comes off not as I wanted it to. My belief is that some of the men on here would view outreach programs such as this as unfair or discriminatory so my comment was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion on how they could qualify for the scholarships.

As I stated in my first post on this thread, I have known some really good women in aviation and I mean good at their job as well as being good people. Of course that post also had a little humor in it that might have been misinterpreted or at least diminished my positive comments. But that is who I am. I tend to poke fun at all things even the things that I agree with.

I found your joke quite funny. As Homer said "it's funny because it's true". :D
But then again, my opinions do not count as I am somewhat not "regular people". ;)

Thanks Spike!

I hope no one takes this the wrong way but why is it important for more women to enter aviation? I say this as a father of two teenage daughters, whom I would just love to be pilots one day. If there is a problem holding back women that want to enter the field then address the problem. The financial challenges of becoming a pilot impact both men and women alike, so I don't see how a scholarship for women only will increase the female pilot population. Wouldn't we all be better served if we found ways to help along kids who will grow the industry regardless of sex or race?

I have no problem with women only scholarships by the way. People are free to donate money in any way they wish.

I guess it's another example of things that make perfect sense that we're not allowed to say, notice, criticize, or talk about without being attacked by the PC police.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way but why is it important for more women to enter aviation? I say this as a father of two teenage daughters, whom I would just love to be pilots one day. If there is a problem holding back women that want to enter the field then address the problem. The financial challenges of becoming a pilot impact both men and women alike, so I don't see how a scholarship for women only will increase the female pilot population. Wouldn't we all be better served if we found ways to help along kids who will grow the industry regardless of sex or race?

I have no problem with women only scholarships by the way. People are free to donate money in any way they wish.

Nobody seems to be able to say why so many women are likely to choose to avoid or leave aviation. But some of those who want to encourage women, are addressing one aspect known to discourage new pilots -- money. Perhaps if more women are able to afford aviation other women will find it to be more welcoming. Who knows. Anyway, there is a huge population of untapped potential out there who might be able to stem the increasingly dwindling supply of aviators.

Gee guys, maybe it's a case of current women in aviation who have found it to be a rewarding career and believe that other women or girls would find it to be also and just want to find a way to encourage and assist them.

There are probably young girls who would love to get into aviation but are unsure if it is for them or if women are really welcomed. They probably look at aviation and see so few women and make these assumptions. And in some cases their assumptions have foundation due in no small part to some of the bigots or misogynists in the industry. These sort of private sector initiatives just try to help such young ladies out. That's all.

Now, I will state that I am against most public sector outreach programs as I believe that tax dollars should always be spent in a totally nonbiased or non-prejudicial manner. Government programs should always be gender and race neutral. But if a private group or an individual wants to reach out to a certain group that they feel is underrepresented in an industry and offer scholarships then I see no issues.

If you are afraid of women becoming a larger percentage of aviation then you are free to create a scholarship for young men to try to keep the status quo as is. Out your money where your mouth is.

Now if it is just a matter of you not feeling that you are being given anything, you are also free to apply for some of the scholarship and grant money that is available to men for traditionally female dominated industries as nursing which I do believe exist.

Descrimination is always attractive until it isn't, like the United Negro College fund is embraced but should someone create the united Caucasian college fund, white men college fund, it is never acceptable.

Interesting how quickly several of you get mad when your enthusiasm for discrimination is pointed out, especially with the new move towards a gender neutral world.

Wow, I first just looked at the OP as I was interested in the link to get more info. Our EAA chapter has a summer camp in June every year. Last year was the first where we offered a level for 16-18 years old and was strictly a week of flight training. Out first group turned out to be three young ladies. This year we had one young lady in out group of four.

We also have started a youth program and one of our regular attendees is a young lady that is deeply interested in aviation. I'd love to get more young ladies involved in my programs and am working hard to make that happen.

It saddened me to read on and see the thread go downhill for absolutely no reason. :(

Agree. Thanks to her for posting these opportunities. I have also been remiss in not congratulating her for her new position within the organization!

...but should someone create the united Caucasian college fund, white men college fund, it is never acceptable.

Oh really? This fund exists implicitly and has existed for centuries. :nono:

I'm going to guess you benefited from it which is why you're so bitter because you don't want it to be reduced in any fashion.

Mary and I have wracked our brains on that question for two decades. We are no closer to an answer today, other than to observe that, for whatever reason, fewer girls than boys are driven to learn to fly.

My daughter is a large and small animal veterinarian and just started her first vet job. On Monday she diagnosed a heart condition on a mastiff that one of the other vets missed. On Sunday she went to an emergency call and repaired a uterine prolapse on a beef cow - literally pushing the uterus back in after she gave birth, and stitching the "mulva" area as needed. (Seinfeld joke). She came back with blood stains on her shorts that went through the vet coveralls that she was wearing. She doesn't get intimidated easily.

Yet when she flies with me, she says that she doesn't think she could ever learn all of the things that I need to know and do to aviate and navigate.

Obviously, she is more capable of learning complex, scientific things than I ever could hope to know. But for some reason she doesn't think she could be a pilot.

I'm not sure how that kind of mindset can be fixed, but I sense that it's pretty prevalent.

My daughter is a large and small animal veterinarian and just started her first vet job. On Monday she diagnosed a heart condition on a mastiff that one of the other vets missed. On Sunday she went to an emergency call and repaired a uterine prolapse on a beef cow - literally pushing the uterus back in after she gave birth, and stitching the "mulva" area as needed. (Seinfeld joke). She came back with blood stains on her shorts that went through the vet coveralls that she was wearing. She doesn't get intimidated easily.

Yet when she flies with me, she says that she doesn't think she could ever learn all of the things that I need to know and do to aviate and navigate.

Obviously, she is more capable of learning complex, scientific things than I ever could hope to know. But for some reason she doesn't think she could be a pilot.

I'm not sure how that kind of mindset can be fixed, but I sense that it's pretty prevalent.
On the other hand, I think that what many others do takes much more training and intelligence than what I do. Being a pilot seems natural to me. But for some reason, people are always surprised when they find out and use words like "amazing". I'm pretty sure they don't have the same reaction when being introduced to a male pilot. There are societal expectations but they shouldn't be either an internal or external barrier.

On the other hand, I think that what many others do takes much more training and intelligence than what I do. Being a pilot seems natural to me. But for some reason, people are always surprised when they find out and use words like "amazing". I'm pretty sure they don't have the same reaction when being introduced to a male pilot. There are societal expectations but they shouldn't be either an internal or external barrier.

I think we're saying the same thing. My daughter is much brighter than me (thank God for my wife :) ) but doesn't feel like she could be a pilot. Weird.

I'm going to guess you benefited from it which is why you're so bitter because you don't want it to be reduced in any fashion.

You don't really have much in the way of good sense, and prove it constantly.

Oh oh. I'm sensing a micro aggression against FC.

And where can I access this implicit "fund." Because my relatives that emigrated here worked in the filthy coal mines of Pennsylvania, and were sharecrop farmers in central Illinois. I'd like some reparations for how they were treated.

And where can I access this implicit "fund." Because my relatives that emigrated here worked in the filthy coal mines of Pennsylvania, and were sharecrop farmers in central Illinois. I'd like some reparations for how they were treated.

You can't reason with a blind cow.

I'm not going to even dignify this amazing display of complete ignorance and lack of knowledge of what has happened in the last few centuries. Let's not even talk about slavery, colonialism, imperialism and the large scale protectionism that has existed for you and your granddaddies. And if your ancestors were poorer than the average around them, then shame on them for being so pathetic in spite of every opportunity afforded to them.

As for micro aggression against FC? There is none. He and his type will die out soon. American society is changing and for the better. This is the country that had the courage to vote for a black president. It wouldn't have happened back in the day when FC was in the median. No, his type is dying out and good riddance.

I'm always surprised at how rightwing these pilot groups are. Why? Because they are over represented by old white men. Not all old white men are so ignorant but a disproportionate number are.

Have a lovely Friday.

:D

I'm not going to even dignify this amazing display of complete ignorance and lack of knowledge of what has happened in the last few centuries. Let's not even talk about slavery, colonialism, imperialism and the large scale protectionism that has existed for you and your granddaddies. And if your ancestors were poorer than the average around them, then shame on them for being so pathetic in spite of every opportunity afforded to them.

As for micro aggression against FC? There is none. He and his type will die out soon. American society is changing and for the better. This is the country that had the courage to vote for a black president. It wouldn't have happened back in the day when FC was in the median. No, his type is dying out and good riddance.

I'm always surprised at how rightwing these pilot groups are. Why? Because they are over represented by old white men. Not all old white men are so ignorant but a disproportionate number are.

Have a lovely Friday.

Slappy, is that you? Still crashing in mommy's basement?

Sorry, my grandparents come over from Europe poor after slavery and imperialism was already over with.

In fact, even with the highest entrance exam scores in my graduating class, I qualified for exactly 0 scholarships.So, no, no one in my family was afforded any of these mythical protections and free college fund for generation upon generation.

Sorry, my grandparents come over from Europe poor after slavery and imperialism was already over with.

They still benefited though. European society as a whole benefited from the large scale and one way flow of resources from the colonies to Europe. Your grandparents would not have even had decent clothes and certainly would have been able to afford to travel to the US if they hadn't benefited from this large scale benefit.

Incorrect. Nice revisionism, though.

There were entire swaths of Europeans who were worse off than many of the slaves here. Or in your world did the serfs each have vast tracts of land, large quantities of money, and infinte resources like those very few who just happened to be born into the right family?

If my ancestors had benefitted so greatly, they would not have left to come here.

Last edited:
Incorrect. Nice revisionism, though.

Not revisionism it is reality. You can't look at this at the individual level. Look at the flow of money until fairly recently (like in the last 50 years). It has overwhelmingly been from the third world to the first world. Sure there were pockets of poverty here and there but on the whole your ancestors benefited and you too.

There were entire swaths of Europeans who were worse off than many of the slaves here.

Seriously if you had to choose between one or the other you'd choose to be a slave? I don't buy it. Also you don't know what poor is. Ever been to the third world?

If my ancestors had benefitted so greatly, they would not have left to come here.

Hmm, well let's see they were able to move and they were able to move to an even better place that also greatly favored white people :rolleyes:

I'm also descended from Europeans. I'm not saying we owe something for the past. Not at all. All I'm saying if there is a scholarship to help a disadvantaged group, just STFU and let it be and don't whine about it. That is not directed at you but another certain whiner who was the first to complain on this innocent thread about helping more women get into aviation.

Have a lovely Friday.

Something tells me you have serious psychological problems, that include some type of gender, or sexual confusion, based on your hatred of men.

that's it, isn't it? You've got a bone for me.

Sorry to disabuse you of your fantasies, but I only do it with female humans.

Last edited:
Back