Scheduling knowledge exam (psi)

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Jim K, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Jim K

Jim K Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    Has anyone been able to reach psi to schedule a knowledge exam? I've spent 30 min. on hold in three attempts and left three messages (all of our lines remain busy....please hold for the next available agent.....all calls are handled in the order they are received). I'm starting to think this will be the biggest obstacle to getting my PPL. Of course the registration on the website is broken too....

Almost feels like I'm dealing with the government.

2. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    The acronym needs to be PITA than PSI.

The past few writtens I did, I just scheduled directly with the test center and skipped calling PSI.

If anyone is near Fort Worth, I highly recommend Pro Test at KTFW. The owner/proctor is very friendly, the place is set up very comfortablely, and you can walk in with out an appointment to take your exam.

benyflyguy likes this.
  3. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Canis Non Grata
    You lost me at PSI.

4. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    You can try calling the test center directly. Many do not do tests on weekends though.

5. falconkidding

falconkidding Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Falcon Kidding
    PSI sucks. I had 4 days in between atp ctp and ground school to take the written. The schools wouldnt schedule me on their own "call psi to schedule" i called for 2 days before i even got someone on the line. When i did it took 20 min to get through the process.

"Id like to take the atp me at this school this day"
    Psi "20 min of back and forth to determine that that is indeed the right testing center and test"

They said they'd call within 24hrs on the measages i left. They never did. I hate them but they are a monopoly.

6. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    I schedule tests for my students in San Antonio and we don't call PSI anymore - the testing centers handles everything now. They were an absolute pain to deal with.

7. Jim K

Jim K Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    This is the company that now owns both cats and lasergrade, so they have a monopoly on FAA testing.

I got ahold of the head of the testing center, which is at a local community college that runs a part 141 school. He said they can't take payment, so I have to schedule through psi. The only number he had was the one I've been trying, but he said he'd ask the flight school folks on Monday if there's another way to do it. The next closest location is about an hour further away.

I'm not very happy about having to hand over $150 to this ****ty no- service company. Can I complain? to the fsdo?

8. Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Radna
    Good luck with that. FSDO has bigger things to worry about. If the testing center is still on the old PSI software and hasn't been converted to CATs they really can't do anything. If they got converted they *can* schedule you but they're not required to. They make less than half the fee... majority goes to PSI.

It's a racket, but I can assure you it's not the testing center doing it.

9. Jim K

Jim K Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    They did finally call back....8 days after my initial message. While I was flying, of course. Then they left the wrong phone number in the message. By some miracle I actually managed to get through today, and got registered. On the bright side, my free AOPA student membership got me $10 dollars off.

10. Somedudeintn

Somedudeintn Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Wayne F
    Yea, I waited 20 minutes the other day and gave up. Called today around 10:30am and got through after about 10 minutes