Scheduled my Class lll Medical

chrisansilver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
chrisansilver
I’ve searched long and hard regarding my situation. The situation is a DWI that was in 1987. At the time of arrest my BAC was .11 and I plead guilty to the charge.
From everything thing I’ve researched there is a chance of being deferred for this, not likely, should I continue on my path?
Want getting my ppl to be a pleasant experience.
Once through this I plan on starting my search for the right plane, will buy and train in my own.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Do not pass go.
Do not collect $200
Do not go for an offical Class 3 medical exam.
Do not go for the Class 3 until you talk with an AME In Consultation about question 18.

I'm on my tablet, Mike, can you or someone paste the sticky for this topic?

I’ve searched long and hard regarding my situation. The situation is a DWI that was in 1987. At the time of arrest my BAC was .11 and I plead guilty to the charge.
From everything thing I’ve researched there a chance of being deferred for this, not likely, should I continue on my path?
Want getting my ppl to be a pleasant experience.
Once through this I plan on starting my search for the right plane, will buy and train in my own.

Thanks in advance...
Don't schedule a Class 3 physical exam. Schedule a consultation with an AME that you have good reason to believe is a pilot advocate, and who has a good record of getting pilots through the system with a minimum of deferrals and delays. Ask around your airport or post your location here (state or general area) and someone may be able to give you pointers.

Have to agree,you need a consultation with an Ame,who has a good reputation of helping people in your situation. Good luck.

If you're not clear what everyone is saying, call an AME and make an appointment. The appointment is for a chat, you will return another day for your exam should the chat go well. You want to go over the exam, Particularly question 18 with the doc. You want to hear whether he will issue or defer based on how your chat goes.

I did speak with a AME earlier today, was told it wouldn’t be an issue.
1-No other alcohol drug related infractions.
2-Time of DUI over 30 years.
3-Low BAC, at the time the legal BAC was .10

Anyone with a similar situation have issues getting by without deferral?

Almost identical except I blew a .07. It was not an issue, just be sure the doc doesn't go live with you application before you know if he will issue or not.

Thanks for all the replies, I really do appreciate everything, not trying to beat a dead horse with the questions.
I did speak with the AME, point blank asked the chances of being deferred.
Scheduled early August.

Chris, there really isn't any point to asking about others' experiences on this. Everything depends on the individual case, and also (in some cases) on the AME. It is also possible to be deferred for one thing, and then the FAA focuses on something entirely different (happened to me).

If you asked the AME whether he would defer you, what did he say?

There is a member of PoA who recently went through the process for obtaining a medical with a DUI in his background and was successful....

Unfortunately, I can't recall his name at the moment.... if I do remember, I'll ping him and ask that he contribute to this thread.

.11 is considered low?

Good luck, I don’t think one 30 year old event should be cause to stop someone. But be careful, logic and reason have little to do with the process.

Chris, there really isn't any point to asking about others' experiences on this. Everything depends on the individual case, and also (in some cases) on the AME. It is also possible to be deferred for one thing, and then the FAA focuses on something entirely different (happened to me).

If you asked the AME whether he would defer you, what did he say?

He does not do consultations prior to exams. So left me no choice but ask, I did, and was told no to any chance of being deferred.

@chrisansilver .... Do start reaching out to Dr. Bruce Chien for some "how to proceed" information. www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Dr. Bruce has been involved in many of these, often successfully. So he is one of the best to advise you on what records to obtain and any other documentation the FAA is going to want to see.

He does not do consultations prior to exams. So left me no choice but ask, I did, and was told no to any chance of being deferred.
Cancel the appointment with that AME. That he is unwilling to do consultations is a significant red flag.

An AME who does not do consultations is someone I would scratch off of my short list. That said, it sounds like good news that he would not defer you for this. Bear in mind, though, that if you ever have ANY questionable issue in your medical history, and you do not consult beforehand, your flying future can be put into jeopardy.

Deferral = a chance of denial by OKC.

Denial ==> you lose the ability to go light sport, or BasicMed.

The better AME's are willing to discuss your case as a confidential consultation.

At this stage, you very much are in the "you don't know what you don't know" zone and need an expert to guide you. And the best guidance is obtained during a consultation visit.

The better AME's are willing to discuss your case as a confidential consultation.

At this stage, you very much are in the "you don't know what you don't know" zone and need an expert to guide you. And the best guidance is obtained during a consultation visit.
Exactly. Particularly if the OP's DUI was 30 years ago, that implies he is getting to the age where he is likely to have other medical issues pop up now and then, even if he doesn't at the moment. Some of those don't affect your ability to fly legally on a Class 3, others do. If you walk into the AME's office cold for an exam and you have one of those issues, a deferral is a distinct possibility unless it is a CACI, and now you are in jeopardy territory. A consultation can alert you to the problem, and in some cases know what documentation to gather so that your case goes smoothly, sometimes (with a good AME) issuance in the office. Regardless, you will know whether you should apply now, or wait until something has resolved, and what to expect at that time.

That's why I said: I would scratch that AME off of my short list. No consultation, I don't want him as my AME.

I had one in 1987 and blew whatever I blew. It was 1987, I can't remember.

I applied for my PPL in 2004...it was a goat rope.

Avoid an AME who will not consult...if I had known just this one tidbit, it would have saved me months and months of drama.

It took Dr. Chien to untangle it all...and untangle it he did.

Proceed cautiously.

If the AME does not do consults, find another for the consult. You do not want a surprise.

Where are you located?

Exactly. Particularly if the OP's DUI was 30 years ago, that implies he is getting to the age where he is likely to have other medical issues pop up now and then, even if he doesn't at the moment. Some of those don't affect your ability to fly legally on a Class 3, others do. If you walk into the AME's office cold for an exam and you have one of those issues, a deferral is a distinct possibility unless it is a CACI, and now you are in jeopardy territory. A consultation can alert you to the problem, and in some cases know what documentation to gather so that your case goes smoothly, sometimes (with a good AME) issuance in the office. Regardless, you will know whether you should apply now, or wait until something has resolved, and what to expect at that time.

That's why I said: I would scratch that AME off of my short list. No consultation, I don't want him as my AME.

I was quite confident in the chosen one after telling me no on the deferral. Now you guys have me second guessing my judgment.

As far as other health issues that could come as a surprise, mentioned above.
I’m very healthy, worked hard all my life. Self employed as an Independent Professional Consultant in the Oil & Gas Industry.
My Heath couldn’t be better, at 53 years old, I’ve been told by treating physicians to continue what I’ve been doing, it’s working well.
My worst habit is living life...

Once again, send an email to Dr Bruce - check his website at

aeromedicaldoc.com

and ask your questions. He's great at a quick response. Should it get complicated, then he'll explain his fee to continue.

Don't assume your research answers the questions Talk to an expert. This is one of the situations when web research is good ONLY to,find a real expert to ask.

Last edited:
Reaching out to Dr. Bruce.
Thanks, honestly appreciate it..
My guess is that done correctly, that past situation won't be a terribly big deal, and your medical can get issued with minimal fuss.

But....

it needs to be done correctly. And an expert like Dr. Bruce can aid in making that happen.

I was quite confident in the chosen one after telling me no on the deferral. Now you guys have me second guessing my judgment.

As far as other health issues that could come as a surprise, mentioned above.
I’m very healthy, worked hard all my life. Self employed as an Independent Professional Consultant in the Oil & Gas Industry.
My Heath couldn’t be better, at 53 years old, I’ve been told by treating physicians to continue what I’ve been doing, it’s working well.
My worst habit is living life...
Yes, you may be very healthy now. But there is an advantage to having an AME you will stick with: he knows your history, so fewer questions and snags about things you've reported before. If you pick an AME who won't do consultations, then when the time comes that you really need one, you have to find someone else or roll the dice. I would recommend finding your "last AME" first, if it's at all possible: someone you can have confidence in, who will have your best interests in mind, who will go the extra mile to get you certified if it is possible to do it, and who will tell you up front if it is not.

Some people drive hundreds of miles to see Dr. Bruce. But depending on where you live, there may well be excellent, pilot advocate AMEs in your area.

Well if I can travel out of state, didn’t know that, I would definitely go for Dr. Bruce being my AME.

So I am confused. It's the AME that determines the legal issues? Or he is just the first step in approval with the FAA having final say.

Yes, you may be very healthy now. But there is an advantage to having an AME you will stick with: he knows your history, so fewer questions and snags about things you've reported before. If you pick an AME who won't do consultations, then when the time comes that you really need one, you have to find someone else or roll the dice. I would recommend finding your "last AME" first, if it's at all possible: someone you can have confidence in, who will have your best interests in mind, who will go the extra mile to get you certified if it is possible to do it, and who will tell you up front if it is not.

Some people drive hundreds of miles to see Dr. Bruce. But depending on where you live, there may well be excellent, pilot advocate AMEs in your area

Thank you, very solid advice.

Let’s throw this out here then.
There is no doubt I would drive any distance to eliminate things turning into delays or worse.

Any recommendations for an AME in the East Texas Area, from Longview to Dallas area?

Last edited:
So I am confused. It's the AME that determines the legal issues? Or he is just the first step in approval with the FAA having final say.
The standards by which the airmen are measured is set by the FAA. See the "Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners", https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/

The AME that you meet with reviews the situation, does the examination, and interprets how your square peg fits the FAA slot B.

If determined that all is well and 100% good to go, he issues your medical certificate. However, if your situation is one that prevents him from applying the rubber stamp to your forehead, whether due to a medical history that prevents or insufficient documentation, he must defer your exam to FAA Medical HQ in Oklahoma City. If you have a big nasty item that is something that immediately disqualifies you, he will deny.

The reason we are pushing the consultation so hard is so you can become someone who is issued immediately. First consultation might be a discussion of what items you need to get and bring back. Second consultation might be a review of what you got to double check all the right boxes are checked. The you proceed with the "live exam".

One aspect about Dr. Bruce is that he won't let you do the live exam until he knows you will pass. Until then, he will guide you on what items need to be gathered up and in what form he and the FAA need them. He will ask a reasonable fee for his "pre-exam" services. But we can all tell you that the cost is very reasonable to obtain the level of expertise he provides.

Any recommendations for an AME in the East Texas Area, from Longview to Dallas area?
So you're out in them piney woods. I'll ping you next time I fly to Tyler for some grub at The Skyline Cafe.

@Scott@KTYR .... any AME suggestions in your neighborhood?

I did speak with a AME earlier today, was told it wouldn’t be an issue.
1-No other alcohol drug related infractions.
2-Time of DUI over 30 years.
3-Low BAC, at the time the legal BAC was .10

Anyone with a similar situation have issues getting by without deferral?

Yup. Already had a ClassII(2) . Got a DUI. Reported it on Annual Renewal. They wanted a copy of the Arrest Report. Got and gave it to them. Renewed. Not special issuance. All I've done since then is check the box and put "previously reported" in Remarks. THIS WAS A LONG TIME AGO. HEED THE ADVICE ABOVE

I flew commercial from Denver to Peoria. I know a few others (locals) who did the same.
Heh. You can also fly the aluminum tube, yes. From Denver (or Texas) it makes sense. I just avoid it whenever there is an alternative.

Heh. You can also fly the aluminum tube, yes. From Denver (or Texas) it makes sense. I just avoid it whenever there is an alternative.
There was no alternative. If I had taken the cherokee, and not been able to get the Class 3, the airplane would have been parked, I would fly home commercial then need to figure out how to get the cherokee home (and it would be expensive...)

Or fly! :D

(That is IF you're 100% sure of walking out with a brand new medical. My understanding is, if the AME defers you, you now have "reason to know" and are supposed to self ground. That might depend on the condition though. YMMV)

That doesn't make sense, because he can't fly without a medical, now, can he? ;) Doesn't even have a student pilot certificate, so a 1500nm solo xc is also out of the question. He could drive a Class A diesel pusher with a 50,000lb trailer full of all of his life's possessions, though. ;)

I flew commercial from Denver to Peoria. I know a few others (locals) who did the same.

I did the same. Flew commercial from Denver to O'Hare, spent one night at a hotel in Romeoville (close to Bolingbrook), saw Dr Bruce, exam took about an hour, he showed me his Seneca :) and then I flew back later that day back to Denver.

Oh, and I also ate at Giordano's a couple times while I was there :) :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back