Scenario: Engine Failure on Takeoff

Dump Suck Point Land. There's your checklist.

Lower the nose for best glide. This would be the dump.
Suck up the gear if it's down.
Point the plane where you now are intending to land.
Land. Run the landing checklist but with fuel and mixture off and with prudent timing on the gear.

800ft AGL? I turn around and land normally. (150M)

Unless you've practiced this at high altitude ... be careful.

Would anyone try to troubleshoot at 800 feet? Like switch the mags or switch fuel tanks?

1. Forget the check list in this scenario, flow is
CRAM
PULL
Switch
BOOST
2. Fly the plane, CRAM everything (throttle & mixture), pull carb heat, switch tanks and BOOST pump (takes about 4 seconds) ... if you get that far and have time flip the mags. I lost a mag in a rental just after running out of runway in a 152 ... leveled it out, had dirt road options and found the bad mag real fast (only CRAM-carb on the 152) - was able to fly level at 350 agl and land normally. Had power though, which makes a difference (couldn't climb at all).

I own/fly a 150M. 1000ft is waay excessive for a 180. I don't have a hard limit, at the field where I am based, turning back from 500ft is safer than flying straight ahead and in a 150 I'm pretty sure 500ft is enough for it.

A cub versus a bonanza is going to be different getting it whipped around. That turn is going to be at 45* bank after just correcting the pitch from the climb (hope you have enough speed). My CFI years ago required a pre-take off announcement verbally indicating the "plan" for engine out (on ground, just after rotation and airborne). The belief being that if the engine even farts, you're already pre-loaded for the response and won't have the "oh s%$#" 5 second delay realizing your in deep trouble.

Bob, just started reading your two books (Say Again Please and the Complete Advanced Pilot) as I prepare to do instrument.

I'd honestly love to know where you're looking for the "least bad" places to land departing KRNT either on 16 or 34. it looks like a whole bunch of bad options to me. On 34 i'm planning for in the water, as close to the shore near Holmes point as I can, but on 16??

Addendum: If you can make it to Holmes Point, which is up by Kirkland, you don't have much of a problem.

Bob

Be careful how much stuff you try to do when FLYING THE AIRPLANE is the primary need. I've seen noticeable decreases in flying precision simply from keying the mic and talking. Looking around the cockpit, reaching for an ELT switch? Probably going to significantly destabilize your airplane and adversely affect crash survivability.

Folks don't realize how a life-threatening emergency can cause tunnel vision...no time to think about fuel or doors or anything but flying. The rest is nice to think about, but when push comes to shove will be forgotten.

Bob

The Navion doesn't have a door, so I didn't think about that either time. If I had been thinking I'd have shut the main fuel selector off in addition to pulling the mixture but frankly if you breech the fuel lines you probably are going to rupture the tank or lines ahead of the valve as well.

Frankly, in neither case did I have time to find an emergency checklist. It's a good thing I had the important parts by rote/instinct.

Folks don't realize how a life-threatening emergency can cause tunnel vision...no time to think about fuel or doors or anything but flying. The rest is nice to think about, but when push comes to shove will be forgotten.

Bob

We lost a guy who built an RV-10. The passenger door wasn't secured and just after take off he was preoccupied with reaching over and trying to shut the door, according to witnesses. Seems like he lost SA, got too slow and ended up in a departure stall/spin.

I'd honestly love to know where you're looking for the "least bad" places to land departing KRNT either on 16 or 34. it looks like a whole bunch of bad options to me. On 34 i'm planning for in the water, as close to the shore near Holmes point as I can, but on 16??

Use Google Earth, not an airport diagram, to follow my reasoning:

Taking off from 34 and losing the engine too low to turn back, my inclination would be to head for Gene Coulon Park. First, the water is fairly shallow; second, there are always people at the restaurants and walking the path. Taking off from 16 and losing one at the same altitude as the 34 scenario I would head for the Renton High athletic field just to the west of the school itself. No tall buildings between Airport Way and the school. Slip like there was no tomorrow. There is a chain-link fence at the south end of the field paralleling 2nd Avenue which would slow you down a tad, then if you get across the westbound lanes of 2nd without having a car encounter there is a wooded divider between the eastbound and westbound lanes.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob, and sorry for delay. I see what you're talking about and it does look like about the only thing decent to the south. I'll look more closely at it the next time I'm over it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Use Google Earth, not an airport diagram, to follow my reasoning:

Taking off from 34 and losing the engine too low to turn back, my inclination would be to head for Gene Coulon Park. First, the water is fairly shallow; second, there are always people at the restaurants and walking the path. Taking off from 16 and losing one at the same altitude as the 34 scenario I would head for the Renton High athletic field just to the west of the school itself. No tall buildings between Airport Way and the school. Slip like there was no tomorrow. There is a chain-link fence at the south end of the field paralleling 2nd Avenue which would slow you down a tad, then if you get across the westbound lanes of 2nd without having a car encounter there is a wooded divider between the eastbound and westbound lanes.

Bob

Thanks Bob, and sorry for delay. I see what you're talking about and it does look like about the only thing decent to the south. I'll look more closely at it the next time I'm over it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ask your instructor to take you out for a session doing aggressive slips...a slip should be an instinctive tool, just like flaps or carb heat.

Bob

Last edited:
Back