saying hi, first post

shoprat

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jeff
Hi just joined yesterday,been reading a lot of posts(great stuff!!)

I am wondering about starting flying lessons as I am 59 years old,always wanted to try it but you know how it goes! I am not a wealthy guy just a blue collar worker and keep reading about the expense of learning 8-12,000!
on average. I think I could handle most of that but am concerned about after you get your cert.

Do you fly mostly around your area,go on trips. Does the cost become to much to be able to still get up there and fly.

I really wish I would have tried this a long time ago, do very many guys/gals start this late? Any ways I'm happy to be hear and have some questions on what to do first and what to look for and look out for in a trainer, what to expect costwise. Thanks Jeff

Jeff, I think if you look back at some of the older posts about flight training you'll find lots of useful information. I'm sure that others will step in and give you advice about how to find a good school and instructor.
Being where you are, I would check out the schools at So St Paul airport. See what their rates are and get a feel for the school and their instructors.
I'm not in the training end of aviation any more so I can't help you on what the current rates would be or best schools in your area and such.

As for flying after you get the certificate, what do you want to do with it and what is your budget? That will determine what kind of flying you will do, whether they're trips or just around the local area.
Jim

Last edited:
First welcome to Pilots of America, Second if you can afford it and want it then do it. You will never regret it.

That said yes the cost is probably the primary reason that keeps people from learning to fly. It can get expensive. There are however several types of flying. If you can find a small country airport near you then you might be able to find someone to teach you in a basic airplane at a greatly reduced cost. Larger schools might have fancier planes but will often cost more. There is a lot to be said about learning from a sliver haired CFI who teaches in an older basic airplane. The best thing for you to do is ask around and visit schools.

Another option is to join a flying club that allows primary instruction. Clubs are a great way of keeping costs down.

Finally folks on POA do a lot of different types of flying. Some just go for breakfast runs on weekends, some fly regularly long distances and some fly for a living. You will find all sorts on POA.

You could do like I did and win an airplane in a raffle... Flying is significantly cheaper so long as the unexpected repairs stay low!

Hay Jeff, Welcome to POA.

I started taking lessons last year at the tender young age of 57, and let me tell you it was the best thing I've done in years.

Always wanted to, never had the money, but when my kid finally graduated college, it was me time. I'm still training but with any luck, I should have my license by summer.

Get off the fence and start flying. You will NEVER regret it. :thumbsup:

Hey Jeff - I started helicopter flying lessons at 60 and got my PPL a year later. Hang around the helicopter crowd for a while and you'll think flying airplanes is a bargain.

Welcome!

I just got my license in October, and it cost me about $9,000 total. Some have done it for less; others have paid more.

The costs for me have gone down since I finished my training because I'm not flying as often. When I was training, I'd try to fly twice a week. Now I fly once a week if I'm lucky, and I've only done a handful of cross-country flights - none longer than 2 hours. How much you spend and where/how you fly is up to you after you get your PPL.

Having gone through it and paid all those bills, I'm convinced that ANYONE can afford to fly. You have to have the mindset that you'll work as hard as it takes to save up the money, including taking on some part-time jobs on nights and weekends. You might have to give up all your spare time for six months to a year, but it can be done. Mow lawns. Rake leaves. Deliver pizzas. Build websites. Walk dogs. Whatever skills you've got, put them to use, and you can save up the cash relatively quickly if you focus on it.

Then again, you could sit on your butt and complain about "this economy" if you want (a lot of people do) ... but I generally don't see good results from that :)

Thanks for the nice welcome! I live about a 1/2 mile from fleming field(so st paul) kids are grown wife is gone,so I think it's time to give it a go.

wouldn't mind winning an airplane!! Before I go talk to someone are there certain things to find out or ask about?

I did read about an accelerated training program,(10 days,plus or minus) anybody go that route? seems kind of short but kind of made sense too.

Anyway, doing a lot of reading on here and books from library so probably time to pull the trigger! Thanks again and I'm sure to have a lot of questions
Jeff

Welcome! I would take an intro flight if you haven't already to see if you really enjoy it. Then get yoour medical ASAP. You don't want to pour in a bunch of money only to fond out you can't get a medical. Good luck!

My personal opinion on the accelerated program in about 10 day is that it would be very very tough, even for a young person. You would be saturated and overwhelmed.
Take some time to do some research here and elsewhere, maybe the AOPA web site has some good info on learning to fly.

Let us know something about yourself, what kind of flying do you like or would like to do. Would you like to fly in something brand new, or something older and cheaper? Two seats or four for training, would you fit in a small two seater, or are you a big guy?

Welcome! I would take an intro flight if you haven't already to see if you really enjoy it. Then get yoour medical ASAP. You don't want to pour in a bunch of money only to fond out you can't get a medical. Good luck!

No! Don't go for a medical until you know you can pass it. Do your research in advance. If necessary, start a new thread asking about what snares there are in getting the medical. Just know, you don't want to fail a medical that you didn't need to take.

Hi Jeff, welcome to POA. Here's 2 cents of free advice. A. Forget the accelerated training. You'll learn more, and stress less with a more normalized rate. B. If your finances can tolerate, buy a small plane, and find a private CFI to train you. Then, you can sell or keep the plane to build hours. A large segment of your training budget is aircraft rental. Of course, buying is not cheap either, but you can say you're a plane owner, and the scheduling gets a lot easier. C. Planes are used many ways, but most are just rich men toys until you get into the fast retract single engine, and some twins which are for going places. If you make a donut around your place with the inside about 100 miles, and the outside about 700 miles, you have a ring where the plane makes sense to use. Under 100, you can drive, over 700 maybe take comm until you get a faster plane. D. When you go to the aeromedical examiner, have him do your workup for the aeromedical exam BEFORE you start filling out the paperwork. He/she won't really want to do this but there is a very good reason to do it this way. If you have started the paperwork for the exam(form 8500) and subsequently fail your aeromedical exam, you will not be able to fly a class of plane called "Light Sport", unless, or until you successfully pass the aeromed exam. If you don't officially take the FAA designated exam, and get everything checked out first, and there is a medical issue, you can stop the exam before the FAA application process and still fly a Light Sport plane with just your driver license. This is critical for someone of your age who may have medical issues that could ground you. Do NOT start the form 8500 until the AME examiner has checked you out pretty carefully. E. Look for a partner if you decide you might want to buy a plane, or even a small club. They can also defray the cost of rental so it's not as expensive as renting.

Last, enjoy the process. It's a journey not a destination, you'll make mistakes, and you'll have great experiences when you solo, pass your written, and finally the check ride.

Welcome and good luck. Flying gives me great pride I have to admit.

But don't be too proud....

You know what they say about old bold pilot's...;)

Welcome Jeff. Most of us only live once, so go for it while you still can :).

Fying's expensive. If you endeavor to succeed, though, most folks can afford it. Either live frugally and save up the estimated total cost, or, if you're impatient like I was, fly as money permits and keep your head completely in the game between lessons.

Have fun.

Welcome ,getting my pilots license ,was one of my best moves. Use my airplane for the 100 dollar Hamburg run. Also for trips up and down the coast and across the country.

Thanks again for the help, to answer a few questions.

I am more interested in fun flying with a few trips to see family,both about
6-700 mi away

would prefer a 4 seat training /ownership....just because?!

I think I can fit in a small plane 5'7 180

Now you have me concerned about the medical exam ! Are they looking to deny you,do you need to be in athlete condition? what are they looking for?

I really like the idea of getting my own plane as early on as possible and training in it(kinda partial to the piper/mooney style used of course!)

Thanks for the help/encouragement Jeff

These are the primary areas of concern for the medical. Most can be handled if done knowledgeably. Some may limit which type of license you can qualify for. Note that many newcomers are surprised to find that former treatment for ADHD or DUI are an issue to address.

Bone and Joint— Includes arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions.

Cancer—Many pilots recover from cancer and regain flying privileges.

Ear, Nose, Throat, and Equilibrium— hearing, cochlear implants, Eustachian bypass, and motion sickness.

Endocrine System— diabetes and thyroid conditions.

Gastrointestinal—GERD, hepatitis, colitis, Crohn's disease and more

Heart and Circulatory System— heart-related problems including high blood pressure

Immune System—HIV and related conditions

Mental Health— ADD/ADHD, depression, psychological evaluation, and substance abuse.

Neurological (Nervous System)— migraine headaches, cerebrovascular disease, and strokes.

Pulmonary— asthma, allergies, or another lung-related condition.

Sleep Disorders— sleep apnea.

Substance Abuse— alcohol or drug-related problems.

Urology (includes kidney)— kidney stones, or kidney transplant.

Vision—Color vision, glaucoma, and LASIK surgery

Jeff, here's a few other ideas, for you I would check out both Flemming Field and Lake Elmo for airports if it's not too far a drive for you. Ask if there are any clubs on the fields, sometimes they have their own instructors in the club. The club costs could be better in the long run than straight renting.

You should be able to fit in something like a Cessna 152, although you will be rubbing elbows with the instructor, like all two seaters do.
Something like a Skyhawk or Warrior/Archer would be a good plane for you and they would be slightly faster for those X/C trips and taking passengers than a 152.
A Mooney with it's higher insurance costs because of it's retract gear might be something to look at farther down the line.

The 3rd Class medical is not something very difficult to pass as long as you're in general good health. Obviously certain things like high blood pressure, taking certain meds and other conditions are problems.
Look at this link and scroll through this FAA form that you will fill out for your medical and it lists certain conditions they are looking for. Other things like DUI's can be problems too.
http://nec.natca.net/8500-8PhysicalForm.pdf

Thinking about getting your own plane, don't forget other costs like hangar, insurance and maintenance too. You have to weigh that all out against just renting or a club.

Last edited:
St. Paul area, this club looks awesome - great fleet, excellent rates and being in a flying club can really be a great way to surround yourself with like-minded people, who will help you to move along in your aviation journey.

http://www.prescottflyingclub.org

Back