Saw my first plane accident today

fsuseminole

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fsuseminole
Nose gear collapse at Tallahassee, FL (TLH)

I was cleaning my hangar/plane today at KTLH(Tallahassee, FL) and saw a piper Malibu nose gear collapse. Not entirely sure about the details yet, but looked like nobody was hurt. The emergency crews were not out on the field while he was landing so I assume he had three green.

Picture was take on my phone and from a distance, not the best quality.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Cropped it a bit, rotated it, and resized it:

attachment.php

Attachments

• cropped.gif
    cropped.gif
    67.2 KB · Views: 403
The first aircraft accident I saw, I was 16 years old and was at the Air Races At Cape May New Jersey during that horrendous accident involving multiple T-6 aircraft... I think 4 fatalities in all but that might be incorrect... Long time ago....

Re: Nose gear collapse at Tallahassee, FL (TLH)

I was cleaning my hangar/plane today at KTLH(Tallahassee, FL) and saw a piper Malibu nose gear collapse. Not entirely sure about the details yet, but looked like nobody was hurt. The emergency crews were not out on the field while he was landing so I assume he had three green.

Picture was take on my phone and from a distance, not the best quality.

Looks like the photo was taken at dawn or dusk...when on the side of the planet.

Yeah, that'll buff out no problem.. lol

I have yet to see one happen (knock on wood). But I did see a plane on the ramp that had an engine rod poking through. Happened at night too. I think aopa has a real life pilot story on it.

I made a good living 'buffing' those things out.:yes: Some took a little more elbow grease than others.

Looks like the accident that happened on the south end of the runway over the summer at 11R (Brenham, TX). The paint scheme is the same, too. De ja vu... I hope it's not the same guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Looks like the accident that happened on the south end of the runway over the summer at 11R (Brenham, TX). The paint scheme is the same, too. De ja vu... I hope it's not the same guy.

I thought the guy at Brenham was in a twin.

I once arrived on the scene of wrecked and burning A-36 on a golf course, charred bodies still in the fuselage. Airplane parts bent-up and strewn for 25 yards...a propeller here, nose gear there, huge divets in the greens- All beneath a small mushroom cloud. I fly for a living, so I'm sort of glad I saw it, but NEVER forgot that. The scene still comes to mind if and when I'm feeling a little cavalier with my job, despite the almost 30 years since the event.

@mrreddick
The 421C twin of a few weekends ago or was there someone else? I just remember flying a buddy of mine out (come to think of it, that was in the spring) for lunch on a Thursday and finding the runway closed because a new owner of a Malibu retracted the gear as opposed to the flaps (or so I was told). My passenger was disappointed that we flew all that way (from IWS) only to turn back around.... Was there a twin on the south side of the runway???

@mrreddick
The 421C twin of a few weekends ago or was there someone else? I just remember flying a buddy of mine out (come to think of it, that was in the spring) for lunch on a Thursday and finding the runway closed because a new owner of a Malibu retracted the gear as opposed to the flaps (or so I was told). My passenger was disappointed that we flew all that way (from IWS) only to turn back around.... Was there a twin on the south side of the runway???

Moste likely an incorrecty set squat switch. There is a "safety" in the system to prevent this from happening.

What's up with Malibu nose gears lately? One folded at "my airport", Greene County Airport, I19, near Dayton, OH yesterday too:

http://www.wdtn.com/news/local/greene-county/plane-crash-reported-in-greene-county
http://xeniagazette.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=4&ArticleID=181606

Known Achilles Heel. I suspect the one in the OP had a engine mount failure. These can be due to hard landings or incorrect ground handling...or both.

Back