Saving a project, NV to Dallas, TX???

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
So there's a relevant (to me) project plane (small vintage taildragger) that I'm aware of that may be sent to the scrappers in a week or so if it's not picked up by someone. The person said they'd be willing to hang on to it if it could be saved, but the kicker would be getting it transported to either Dallas or the Killeen area in Texas. My job probably doesn't work with the time and trip and I'm not sure about flying out and renting a truck and trailer...

Looks like it's probably on the south side of Las Vegas, NV. Any leads?

Fly out and stuff in a mini warehouse for a month or two til you can drive it back.

Rent a UHaul truck. Find a friend to drive it. Buy them a plane ticket and a few nights hotel in Vegas.

Wow, really looks like it would cost more for transportation than anything else.

Depends on how you do it. When I went after my L-5, it was 1 night in a hotel, a fuel pump for the truck and about 5 tanks of fuel, along with food for two of us for three days. Got all the way over to Marshall, Tx and the fuel pump crapped out on the truck. Dad grabbed a new one and drove over with some extra tools. We changed the pump in the hotel parking lot and crashed out for the night. Continued on the next morning, bought the airplane and loaded it on the trailer. My buddy and I split driving overnight and we were home Sunday mid morning.

DFW to Vegas in a vehicle is a solid thee day run for a solo driver. I've done DFW to Phoenix non stop a couple of times and it's about 30 hours with a trailer.

What is the project and it’s history? Sometimes history value trumps market value.

When I moved my motorcycles across the country, the cost of renting a puny van was ridiculous, so I bought a full size Chevy van at an auction, fixed it up and made three trips with it. It paid for itself on the first trip and I hated to give it up, but I gave it to a buddy who let me park it on his driveway while I got it roadworthy.

Perhaps finding a derelict flatbed truck and making it able to make a single 4,000 mile trip and then selling it might work. Sounds like a real adventure.

Back