Savannah

francisco collazos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ciscovet
I'm thinking of taking my wife to Savannah next January for our wedding anniversary. Any airport recommendations and places to eat there?

Say hello to the Dobsons when you roll over their grave on 10-28.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of good options. Which is one of the reasons why I’ve never flown in to Savannah. Beaufort had no ground transportation. Waited an hour and a half for the drunk taxi to show up. Don’t know about Hilton head. Might I suggest Saint Simons instead, Hotel right on the field. Good barbecue within walking distance.

Others can talk airfields better than I, who was just another meatbag in a death tube.
We passed though a few weeks ago and noted the following restaurants:

Downtown:
Vic's: A little kitschy, waaaay overhyped, but the food was pretty good and the service was friendly. Crowded.

Good Times: Didn't eat, didn't drink anything but water, but saw an awesome R&B combo with great vocals. Comfortable and friendly.

Jazz'd: Same as above, but this was a jazz trio. Nice to find seats on a crowded night and the music was great but the crowd seemed to be there more for the scene than the music.

Forsythe Park (or thereabouts):

Elizabeth's on 37th: Very good food, also expensive, and LOUD, considering the atmosphere of sophistication they tried to project. I'd go back for the food but not for the ambiance. If it were quieter it would be great for an anniversary celebration.

Sentient Bean: My favorite coffee shop of the few I tried. Roomy, great breakfast, and espresso that didn't taste like a shot of lemon juice.

The diner in the American Legion hall around the corner from Sentient Bean (Bombers?): Great sandwiches and a lifesaver when avoiding crowds downtown.

We were there during the week and downtown was very crowded. In the end we left the rental car at the room and Ubered if we were going downtown at night just to avoid having to cruise for parking.

Nauga,
and his gastro pod

Others can talk airfields better than I, who was just another meatbag in a death tube.
Did you fly in or drive into SAV? They have two FBO's Signature and Sheltair. Just wondering which one you'd recommend?

Don’t know about Hilton head. Might I suggest Saint Simons instead, Hotel right on the field. Good barbecue within walking distance.

One of our daughters lives in Savannah, so we visit the area every now and then. Hilton Head is nice, but it's a more expensive airport than KSAV. Saint Simons is a great destination and airport, but quite a ways away (as in 90 minutes each way) from Savannah.

Both are fine. I’d call for pricing. Either can get you a decent rate on hotels downtown. It is a nice city to walk around.

I agree - we've used both Sheltair and Signature and have not found one to be significantly better than the other.

- Martin

I haven't yet, but if I were flying into Savanah, I'd fly into SAV. No question. I've become a fan of larger airports (and SAV is pretty small) unless there's a good reason to avoid it. I don't see one for avoiding SAV.

Hilton Head is more expensive. SSI is too far. ARW might be a decent choice but one of the reasons I've become a fan of commercial airports is the significantly lower cost of car rentals. I don;t see availability although we can probably arrange the "special" GA price from Enterprise.

Signature vs SheltAir. I'd check prices. Not just fuel, but their fees. Do it via email so you have a record of what they say. Typically the balance favors SheltAir since Signature is pretty infamous for not being light GA friendly. Out of curiosity, I just looked at both of their websites. One shows a picture of a 172 next to a jet.

Thanks, i've been to SSI for a bit and we would be flying from central Florida anyways.

Savannah is also on our short list. Always looking for info on things to do, and places to stay and eat.

For now we’re focused on Saint Augustine in December. Booked a place to stay and transportation.

Didn’t realize Savannah was a place to visit. I’ll try it!

Been there a few times. KSAV. Either fbo is good. Used Uber to go downtown. Walked everywhere. Felt safe. Plane presently in annua l from hell. 4 months and counting. Will be going to savannah when I get it back. Good food, good museums.. Lots to do.

Consider stopping at Jekyll Island on the way up to Savannah. Neat little airport with golf cart rentals to explore the island.

Also do an overflight of Cumberland Island, the island to the south of Jekyll. Google it beforehand so you can recognize the ruins.

Savannah is also on our short list. Always looking for info on things to do, and places to stay and eat.

For now we’re focused on Saint Augustine in December. Booked a place to stay and transportation.
Been to both. Personally like Savannah much more. St Augustine seems to me to be one big tourist trap. Savannah in my opinion is much nicer, more to do, and much better restaurants. A second choice would be Amelia Island. It has a lot more to offer than St Augustine, and less tourist trap. Just my opinion.

Only been in/out of SAV a couple of times GA, but used Sheltair both times and they were good with our RV-10. Also had several other bug smashers on the ramp and didn't seem put off by it at all. Didn't use rental car, but they seem to have enough traffic coming in through there that I'm sure getting something lined up is commonplace for them.

Airport is probably 20 minutes or so from downtown, depending on traffic. If you're going to be staying in the area, I would suggest staying close to where you want to 'play' - as already mentioned, parking can be hard to come by at peak times, and downtown is very walkable (at least the riverfront/restaurant area). Tybee Island is pretty laid back as well compared to other beach destinations (Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, AL; Panama City, FL; etc.)

I got my IC out of KSAV and live close enough that it is my favorite destination to walk around and do things. Signature is going to be closer to the action for UBER/Taxi purposes. I flew out of Sheltair's side with Fly Corps and they are usually pretty busy but their prices seemed to be higher than the other side of the airport.

Downtown has all sorts of fine food. I recommend a French bakery called Le Cafe Gourmet on Montgomery St and also a proper English pub called Pie Society on Jefferson St. There are also several other great places to eat, listen to live music, catch a show, or just sit in one of the public parks and people watch.

Can you explain this to me???
There are two flush grave markers on one of the runways at SAV.

Nauga,
and some hipster phrase about being pretty underground

Flew into SAV for some gas this past thanksgiving, and they treated me well at Sheltair. I'm planning to fly there soon with my family for a few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Didn’t realize Savannah was a place to visit. I’ll try it!
When you go to Atlanta, they ask: "what business you are in?"
When you go to Macon, they ask: "what church do you belong to?"
When you go to Augusta, they ask: "what was your great grandmother's maiden name"
When you go to Savannah, they ask: "what do you want to drink?"!

Back