Sandel 3308 - reset to factory configuration?

k9medic

Line Up and Wait
N Central FL and GTC Bahamas when off work
Display Name

Display name:
ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
We pulled our 3308 during the annual to replace the bulb and noticed that it now has some issues. I'm wondering if there was a default setting that it reverted to when the power was removed. The unit was uninstalled for about 4 days. The install manual does not reference one way or the other.

Running software version 2.11

Some of the issues we are having when working through a 800B IFCS autopilot -
1. When NAV is selected, the AP will turn the aircraft to the correct course but will not track that course.
2. The HDG bug works just fine for manipulating the controls.
3. The HSI heading is about 10 degrees off from the magnetic heading shown on the G430W.

Open to suggestions

We pulled our 3308 during the annual to replace the bulb and noticed that it now has some issues. I'm wondering if there was a default setting that it reverted to when the power was removed. The unit was uninstalled for about 4 days. The install manual does not reference one way or the other.

Running software version 2.11

Some of the issues we are having when working through a 800B IFCS autopilot -
1. When NAV is selected, the AP will turn the aircraft to the correct course but will not track that course.
2. The HDG bug works just fine for manipulating the controls.
3. The HSI heading is about 10 degrees off from the magnetic heading shown on the G430W.

Open to suggestions
Pretty sure there is not a battery inside of it. the install manual says retained power is totally optional and only used for faster reboots.

The first 2 issues sound like the connectors might not have seated quite properly. The SN3308 is known for being very finicky when sliding in and out of the tray. I'm not sure which page on the 430 you are looking at for #3. Might also help to know what you're using for the remote gyro and how it's connected.

I have to double check what Gyro we have. I’m not sure.

I was thinking it could be set as a heading repeater drawing from the GPS rather than using the flux.

The install manual references the following:

"Determine whether the SN3308 is to be used internally slaved or unslaved.
Unslaved operation would be appropriate when the SN3308 is bootstrapped to an
already slaved compass system or is being slaved to a panel mounted XYZ DG."

"Gyro Type: Selects KG102, XYZ NORM, XYZ –180, 429 PORT 1, PORT 2..."

Here is what I’m displaying in the Mx page

78c53b3994de7bc3dc5d6090952ca7f5.jpg

2be6d03a466e19427829b80b0159f587.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Makes me think even more that it's a connection issue. Try taking it out and re-inserting it. Even better is if you know someone with "the touch" that can re-seat it in the tray.

Back