San Rafael CA area

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
anyone rent/fly out of this area? my bro and his wife live there and I'll be in San Fran for a week in November, would like to take them for a local flight if possible. any thoughts/recommendations? thanks!

Gnoss KDVO is your closest airfield just north. Shellville or Sonoma Valley 0Q3 has warbird rides and a Stearman.

yeah I'm kinda hoping to get checked out in something I can take them up in as opposed to having someone else do it. looks like a whole lotta fun tho.

Check out KAPC, Napa. Might have decent options. I did my PPL there.

Ok, not much further than Gnoss is Petaluma. Possible checkout there too. Gnoss is known for nasty (!) crosswinds that make them leary of renting on short check rides. Petaluma is normal and good restaurant on field, 29er Diner.

Ok, not much further than Gnoss is Petaluma. Possible checkout there too. Gnoss is known for nasty (!) crosswinds that make them leary of renting on short check rides. Petaluma is normal and good restaurant on field, 29er Diner.

Gnoss is gnarly. Petaluma is a good option, plus you can see Kimmy there.

"Kimmy" ???? :)

Kimberly Anne.

Occasional poster, also known as the Social Director (unofficial).

There are a TON of rentals down the Peninsula, but the North Bay is cheaper and the airspace simpler. I'd suggest Petaluma as well.

But if you're going to San Francisco, San Carlos isn't much further.

Does anyone actually fly there?

Yeah, mostly the members, but I'm told you can make arrangements in advance and be granted permission to land for a fee.

That puts you further out to sea than I'd want to be, but I'm the super careful type. I've been exploring coastal transitions through the Bravo there - apparently those clearances aren't too difficult to get.

barring weather, it looks like I could do this flight at 2500 and avoid the bravo altogether:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=37.8800564....511577730308616,-122.5909423792862:A.K2.KHAF

That's how I go down to KHAF, only I stay at 2000' and closer to shore. There is a little sliver of lowered ceiling just off Pacifica and we stay just outside it. You won't pick up ATIS until very close but count on a right downwind from that angle with final over the harbor. Lovely scenery on approach. Long taxi back to the south parking and the restaurants are just past the gate there. Have fun!

anyone rent/fly out of this area? my bro and his wife live there and I'll be in San Fran for a week in November, would like to take them for a local flight if possible. any thoughts/recommendations? thanks!

The Petaluma Pilot Training Center has two or three 172's, and Archer, and are about to put an Arrow on the line. They maintain them in good condition.

At 2,500 you can go all the way down to San Francisco and fly around the down town and over the G.G. Bridge.

Petaluma is an easy, straight-forward airport to operate out of, and very friendly. I am based there.

Back