San Francisco area flying

Criitter7

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
My brother is getting married beginning of October in Pacifica ca. Would it be worth it getting checked out somewhere and flying around the bay? Any rentals places you know of? I'm still a low time pilot so I'm kinda nervous. Lot more airspace than good old columbus Ohio

Never heard of it before, I will look into thanks.

Petaluma is a long haul from Pacifica.

Closest with a rental outfit is San Carlos.

I'd suggest looking into West Valley.

Yes, it's worth it.

Last edited:
Ages ago I got a check out from Reid Hillview down in SJC area. They rented me some old rag and tube deal and I motored around with no electric for a few hours snapping pics like mad. Stopped at Half Moon bay, then up to Sonoma, and came back down the eastern side. Doubt they have any taildraggers with handheld radios anymore. Too bad.

<edit; haha! This may be the old POS I rented +20 years ago. Still has no radio, doubt it has a gen. You can fly right up into the mode-C with NOTHING but a paper chart. That's what I'd do. If you haven't flown a TW, they will happily give you your endorsement. Bam - double fun.

Last edited:
Amelia Reid's old outfit is still there, though it's now called Aero Dynamic. They still have a pile of taildraggers.

Reid is a fairly long drive in traffic, and a NORDO aircraft (if it still exists) requires dodging three class Ds, a class C and a class B just to see the Golden Gate Bridge. I wouldn't recommend that for a new pilot, or one unfamiliar with the area. It's not such a big deal (even class B) with flight following.

Palo Alto (KPAO) has the Sundance Flying Club, a very good outfit with a large and varied fleet.

http://www.flysundance.org/index.php

Good guys, and they have a very reasonable "temporary" club membership, appropriate for visitors.

Take a handheld GPS and you can dodge the controlled airspace. Heck, I was a low time pilot back then and I did it with a paper chart and a watch. Between fumbling with the chart, the watch, the Canon SLR camera, and the handheld radio my GF prolly got more actual stick time than me.

Take a handheld GPS and you can dodge the controlled airspace. Heck, I was a low time pilot back then and I did it with a paper chart and a watch. Between fumbling with the chart, the watch, the Canon SLR camera, and the handheld radio my GF prolly got more actual stick time than me.

Of course it's possible, at least as long as the marine layer stays out of the way (the B shelf just offshore Pacifica is at 1500, and the marine layer is usually right there).

Just, not a good idea for a low time out-of-towner. Lots of unnecessary workload.

You can also dodge the airspace easily armed only with a TAC. BTDT. Lots of good landmarks around there. As long as you can see them (but sightseeing isn't much fun if you can't). But it's a LOT easier with a comm radio and flight following.

NorCal gives out B clearances like candy, with minimal restrictions (usually, stay southwest of US101 and maintain either 1500 or 3500). It makes the trip much less work, and sometimes you get treated by a heavy flying under you (BTDT, with an A380). Of course, you do have to be ready for it if the clearance isn't coming 'cause it's a beautiful Saturday and everyone and their mother is trying to get across the B to San Francisco.

So, early in my flying career, my wife and I took a trip to the California wine country. Being a new pilot, of course, I had to find some place from which to rent an airplane, and that place was Petaluma. Nice folks, and after a ridiculously-overpriced check out (including paying an instructor to argue with me about how to do weight and balance on a 172, which he had apparently forgotten how to do), I was signed off to fly their airplane.

So, next day, Celia and I saddle up and fly over to Monterey, admiring the scenery as we go. Wonderful flight, had a great time.

We launched to come back, and I got to meet California's famous, and occasionally infamous, marine layer. A wafer-then, but solid, marine layer appeared at something like 1500 feet, however high it was, it was at a level that preclude me from flying over the hill I needed to fly over to get back to Petaluma in a straight line. I was certifiably panicked!

Calmer heads eventually prevailed, and with a little bit of chart-examination, we figured out how to get back to Petaluma by flying along the appropriate valleys, and it worked out to be a lot of fun. It would have been less than a non--event, have I completed my instrument rating before then.

Tradewinds at KRHV has a fantastic selection of newer C-172s and a great training staff. I think they are also on OpenAirplane. Definitely recommend. It's where I fly out of until I can park one of my own on the ramp.

Hello all,

I'm new here, but I thought I'd jump in with a post. This is my backyard and where I learned to fly, with most of my flying done out of KPAO and KRHV and a little out of KSQL. I'm also a low-time pilot with only about 300 hours. I'm a member at both West Valley Flying Club at KPAO/KSQL and Aerodynamic Aviation at KRHV/KMRY/KSNS but I don't own yet. KHAF, the closest airport to Pacifica, doesn't have any rental outfits that I'm aware of. KSQL is the closest to both Pacifica and San Francisco.

This is a fantastic place to fly. If you're willing to go the OpenAirplane route, San Carlos Flight Center out of KSQL is a fantastic club that offers aircraft through OpenAirplane. TradeWinds out of KRHV does, as well, but I have no experience with them. To be honest, I haven't heard any major complaints about any of the flight clubs at KPAO or KSQL.

Whether you do or do not do OpenAirplane, I suggest a CFI for your first flight no matter what, especially at KSQL. It's so close to KSFO and the floors of the Bravo so low that it's a terrible place to get behind the airplane. Get a Bay Tour with an instructor and the next one on your own is actually quite easy. A little more challenging is the Oakland Transition, so try to get the instructor to show you that, too. (The San Jose Midfield is easy if you're polished on the radio. Eight or nine frequencies in the 15 minutes flying from KPAO to KRHV, but few restrictions.)

Recommended destinations:
KAPC - Spend a day in wine country. If it's just for lunch, Napa Jet Center can usually supply you with a car for free. Buy some fuel, keep 'em in business.
KMRY - Monterey is great, as well. See the aquarium, have a seafood lunch. Del Monte Aviation will lend you a car for 10 or 15 gallons of gas (can't remember which).
KHAF - Park at the south parking and walk into town. Lots of great food.
Bay Tour - See all the sights! (Yes, you'll actually ask Ground for a "Bay Tour". That's actually the "destination" in the system.)

My most recent Bay Tour with a couple of my interns. I'm not a photog, but one of the interns is, so I got a couple interesting shots. I've always wanted my own shot of Sutro Tower poking through the fog, and now I have one. Unfortunately, the low clouds meant no shots of SF.

https://arnoha.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Interns-2015/n-7H2x95/

And, yes, that was all VFR legal. There are advantages to Bravo.

Happy to answer what questions I can about the area.

I think Napa Jet Center still does rentals (I did my PPL with them when they were Bridgeford.) Something to consider.

If you can't find somebody with reasonable rates on the Penisula (San Carlos, Palo Alto) then try Oakland Flyers across the bridge at KOAK. Pretty down to earth, regular pilots that help visitors all the time. Cheap rates and either newer planes, or older cheaper planes depending on your budget, or comfort level.

http://www.oaklandflyers.com/

Good folks.

Petaluma is a long haul from Pacifica.

Closest with a rental outfit is San Carlos.

I'd suggest looking into West Valley.

Yes, it's worth it.

Of the two out-of-towners I recommended West Valley to, one had a good experience, and one had a bad experience, so not a great track record. (I think the one who had a bad experience said it ended up costing him $700 just to get checked out in a 172.)

Hello all,

I'm new here, but I thought I'd jump in with a post. This is my backyard and where I learned to fly, with most of my flying done out of KPAO and KRHV and a little out of KSQL. I'm also a low-time pilot with only about 300 hours. I'm a member at both West Valley Flying Club at KPAO/KSQL and Aerodynamic Aviation at KRHV/KMRY/KSNS but I don't own yet. KHAF, the closest airport to Pacifica, doesn't have any rental outfits that I'm aware of. KSQL is the closest to both Pacifica and San Francisco.

This is a fantastic place to fly. If you're willing to go the OpenAirplane route, San Carlos Flight Center out of KSQL is a fantastic club that offers aircraft through OpenAirplane. TradeWinds out of KRHV does, as well, but I have no experience with them. To be honest, I haven't heard any major complaints about any of the flight clubs at KPAO or KSQL.

Whether you do or do not do OpenAirplane, I suggest a CFI for your first flight no matter what, especially at KSQL. It's so close to KSFO and the floors of the Bravo so low that it's a terrible place to get behind the airplane. Get a Bay Tour with an instructor and the next one on your own is actually quite easy. A little more challenging is the Oakland Transition, so try to get the instructor to show you that, too. (The San Jose Midfield is easy if you're polished on the radio. Eight or nine frequencies in the 15 minutes flying from KPAO to KRHV, but few restrictions.)

Recommended destinations:
KAPC - Spend a day in wine country. If it's just for lunch, Napa Jet Center can usually supply you with a car for free. Buy some fuel, keep 'em in business.
KMRY - Monterey is great, as well. See the aquarium, have a seafood lunch. Del Monte Aviation will lend you a car for 10 or 15 gallons of gas (can't remember which).
KHAF - Park at the south parking and walk into town. Lots of great food.
Bay Tour - See all the sights! (Yes, you'll actually ask Ground for a "Bay Tour". That's actually the "destination" in the system.)

My most recent Bay Tour with a couple of my interns. I'm not a photog, but one of the interns is, so I got a couple interesting shots. I've always wanted my own shot of Sutro Tower poking through the fog, and now I have one. Unfortunately, the low clouds meant no shots of SF.

https://arnoha.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Interns-2015/n-7H2x95/

And, yes, that was all VFR legal. There are advantages to Bravo.

Happy to answer what questions I can about the area.

Welcome to POA...:yes:

Of the two out-of-towners I recommended West Valley to, one had a good experience, and one had a bad experience, so not a great track record. (I think the one who had a bad experience said it ended up costing him $700 just to get checked out in a 172.)

West Valley is not a bad club, and with generally 50 aircraft on the line at two airports, there's lots of variety. But it really isn't set up for the casual rental. The insurance requirements are high and they're picky about paperwork, checkouts, and phase checks.

$700 is possible. That's 2 to 3 hours in an SP ($160/hr) + instructor ($75/hr). (Depends on how much ground time you had with the instructor.) One hour is the insurance minimum. A low-time pilot, a pilot unfamiliar with the area, or if the area is busy when you go up...all can lead to that kind of time. West Valley instructors tend to be pricey, as they generally have thousands of hours of experience. (My instructor has 15,000 hours...in the right seat!)

It's a good club to be a member of, but it's not the best for the guy who's around for just a week. It can also depend on aircraft, since every plane is a lease-back. Each owner can set prices and can set some custom rules. Also, since the club is non-profit, every renter must be a "member". There are no non-member rates. Membership is $55 a month.

Advantage next door is a for-profit club that might be a better choice for the one week renter. A little more expensive (and has a rivalry with West Valley!), but also with many aircraft in good condition.

Or if you want something more exciting, there's always Max G... :D (Actually, seriously, if you have the cash, http://www.maxgaviation.com has a Pitts, an Extra, a Great Lakes, a Vultee, and a Fairchild on the line. How many clubs can boast that? Wish I had the cash!)

Last edited:
(Actually, seriously, if you have the cash, http://www.maxgaviation.com has a Pitts, an Extra, a Great Lakes, a Vultee, and a Fairchild on the line. How many clubs can boast that? Wish I had the cash!)

Attitude Aviation across the bay at KLVK has a Pitts, Great Lakes, T6, Waco, Marchetti and L-39 in case you have some left over cash after flying at Max-G. :)

West Valley is not a bad club, and with generally 50 aircraft on the line at two airports, there's lots of variety. But it really isn't set up for the casual rental. The insurance requirements are high and they're picky about paperwork, checkouts, and phase checks.

$700 is possible. That's 2 to 3 hours in an SP ($160/hr) + instructor ($75/hr). (Depends on how much ground time you had with the instructor.) One hour is the insurance minimum. A low-time pilot, a pilot unfamiliar with the area, or if the area is busy when you go up...all can lead to that kind of time...

I'm sure that the person involved is not a low time pilot. As I understand it, he felt that the ground time with the instructor was excessive. It sounded like he may have ended up paying an instructor for the time he spent filling out the ground review form and other paperwork, which would not have been necessary if anyone had explained the club's checkout process to him in advance. But, as you say, the club is not really geared to casual rentals.

Or if you want something more exciting, there's always Max G... :D (Actually, seriously, if you have the cash, http://www.maxgaviation.com has a Pitts, an Extra, a Great Lakes, a Vultee, and a Fairchild on the line. How many clubs can boast that? Wish I had the cash!)

Thanks for the link. I had no idea we had an operation like that here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I had no idea we had an operation like that here.

It's located in the old mechanic's hangar, between Sundance and the bathroom. It has only been there a few years. That Pitts is real nice.

Sundance does do casual rentals from time to time, but I've no idea what that involves.

Back