San Antonio

Yeah, beer is always my first choice of beverages when re-hydration is my goal!:no::no::no:

I think that's what Mr. 24 was doing at 6Y9 last year. :rofl: :rofl:

"Save the whales: Save water, drink beer!"

Shiner Bock, or if you can get your hands on it out there, St. Arnold - that's a Houston brew that can pretty much only be found in Texas. Good on you for asking the right questions! :)

If you go to Fredericksburg, you should try to book a night in the Hangar Hotel - or at least eat at the diner. I've not been there myself (yet), but those who have tell me that it's a great place to visit.

Good on you for asking the right questions!

I have my priorities straight!

Maybe I should have also asked: Tony Lama or Justin?

Fredericksburg is already on the list, but we won't be staying overnight.

Right now my list is about 12 days long, but we'll only be able to take in about 4.

Last edited:
If you go to Fredericksburg, you should try to book a night in the Hangar Hotel - or at least eat at the diner. I've not been there myself (yet), but those who have tell me that it's a great place to visit.

Well, if your idea of a "great place" is a very nice hotel on the ramp at an airport, with a patio overlooking the ramp and runway...

...so yeah, it's great!

Be sure , though, that you check on the cafe's hours, as they are pretty much limited to weekends, IIRC. On the other hand, there are numerous excellent restaurants in Fredericksburg and its environs, and I can certainly make recommendations for that, depending upon what you say you like.

We just got back from taking a self-guided tour of some of the 'hill country'. We started out at Castroville, because we both left our sunglasses in the plane when we landed Friday night. From Castroville, we went west to Hondo then north toward Tarpley - I saw a blurb about a restaurant in Tarpley on FoodNetwork, so we were going to try it out. The restaurant is gone and the entire town of Tarpley consists of a bar, church, and 5 houses.

From Tarpley, we cut across to Bandera which seemed like a fairly active town. We either just missed or were too early for a big bike rally in the town. From Bandera, we headed north toward Kerrville enroute to Fredericksburg. Really pretty country from Bandera -> Kerrville. Kerrville is a bigger town with bigger town traffic at lunchtime.

From Kerrville, we continued north to Fredericksburg. We were getting hungry and a quick search on the GPS listed the 'Airport Diner'. We finally got around to the airport and the diner was closed. :( We will have to find a reason to head back to the area on a return trip, though. There is a really cool hangar-motel there and the diner looked really cool through the door. Fredericksburg was PACKED! Lots of knick-knack shops and German-ish restaurants. Definitely a touristy place. We got a BBQ sandwich from a shack at the end of the road and headed north to Enchanted Rock. We were sorely unprepared for Enchanted Rock. I was expecting a regular state park where you drive around and maybe walk some trails. We ended up climbing to the top of 'Enchanted Rock' which was ~800' climb I think. Really cool scenery, though and worth the effort to get up there.

On the way back from Enchanted Rock, we HAD to stop at Luckenbach (Population 3). Cool out-of-the-way place to get a cold one. Too bad we were in a hurry to stick around and absorb the atmosphere. We found some 'Hill Country Coffee', which I was about to buy to send to my bro-in-law in Iraq (he requests it so they can have something 'normal' in the mornings). I mentioned off-hand that it was going to Iraq, he said "It's on the house." which I thought was VERY cool -- so if you're ever in the area, stop by Luckenbach and buy something from the gift shop shack.

Dead-headed back in to San Antonio where we are about to throw some ribeyes on the grill. :) FINALLY warmed up down here, which is very much appreciated for us northerners. ;)

Chris:

Thanks for the report. The Airport Diner is a weekend-only thing.

That Bandera to Kerrville drive is quite a ride, I love it. And Luckenbach, ah, Luckenbach.

From there to our shack is, maybe, six minutes driving. I can do it almost asleep, after a few cold ones (not *too* many).

I love the hill country, find it almost irresistable.

Let's go to Luckenbach Texas with Waylon and Willie and the boys...

And, if ya do try to go there... don't blink. :)

Just got back last night - had a nice trip.

Got to San Antonio on Saturday - raining and cold. Made it up to where we were staying in New Braunfels by mid afternoon. Spent the rest of the afternoon/evening in Gruene. Walked around, ate at the Gristmill, then wandered next door to the Hall for a couple beers and some music. Great place. FInished up with a drive up River Road.

Sunday morning was gray and cool - went into San Antonio and visited the Alamo. If/when you go, make sure to hang around with some of the guides at that place. They really know their stuff and can tell a good story, another great place. Then we went to the Riverwalk. Walked a good bit of it, then took one of the boat rides. Our tour guide/captain was a lot of fun and had a lot of good stories about the place, too. Ate lunch at Casa Rio, right on the river, and watched the St Patrick's boat parade go by right next to us. Did some more wandering around and went through La Villita (spelling?). Interesting, but we were getting pretty beat by then. Headed back to the hotel, then had some appetizers for dinner at the Liberty Bistro in New Braunfels.

Monday - Hill Country - Took 46 through Bourne into Bandera. Popped into the Frontier museum, then ate at Busbee's BBQ for lunch and listened to Willie while we ate. Took the back way up to Kerrville - great drive. We were going to see the art museum, but it's closed on Monday's. Just as well, we were getting pretty worn out by then. Headed back and had dinner/margaritas (only $1.59 on Mondays) at Los Cucos.

Tuesday - Back into San Antonio for the Mission Trail. It's several of the old Spanish mission churches (the church at the Alamo is one of them). They are in various states of completion and renovation, but a lot of very interesting history. The road that connects the missions goes right past Stinson airport, so we stopped there for lunch at the cafe. Just my luck, though, there was a B-24, B-17, and P-51 parked on the ramp. A group had them on display and was selling rides. I had to be content just to look. That is one busy airport. I could see, off to the west, some traffic at one of the Air Force bases in the distance. I couldn't tell if it was C-5 or C-17 traffic, but they were BIG. Finished up the day with dinner at Friesenhaus in New Braunfels.

Wed morning - walked around Gruene and drove the River Road one last time before we headed back to the airport.

A good trip. There is a huge variety of thing to see, do, and experience down there.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Too bad we couldn't do it all, maybe next time.

Last edited:
What, no stopping by Mooney while you were in Kerrville? :)

Sounds like a great trip... I'll have to take the little lady out to the Hill Country for a long weekend sometime soon.

Got to San Antonio on Saturday - raining and cold. Made it up to where we were staying in New Braunfels by mid afternoon. Spent the rest of the afternoon/evening in Gruene. Walked around, ate at the Gristmill, then wandered next door to the Hall for a couple beers and some music. Great place. FInished up with a drive up River Road.

Sunday morning was gray and cool - went into San Antonio and visited the Alamo. If/when you go, make sure to hang around with some of the guides at that place. They really know their stuff and can tell a good story, another great place. Then we went to the Riverwalk. Walked a good bit of it, then took one of the boat rides. Our tour guide/captain was a lot of fun and had a lot of good stories about the place, too. Ate lunch at Casa Rio, right on the river, and watched the St Patrick's boat parade go by right next to us. Did some more wandering around and went through La Villita (spelling?). Interesting, but we were getting pretty beat by then. Headed back to the hotel, then had some appetizers for dinner at the Liberty Bistro in New Braunfels.

Monday - Hill Country - Took 46 through Bourne into Bandera. Popped into the Frontier museum, then ate at Busbee's BBQ for lunch and listened to Willie while we ate. Took the back way up to Kerrville - great drive. We were going to see the art museum, but it's closed on Monday's. Just as well, we were getting pretty worn out by then. Headed back and had dinner/margaritas (only $1.59 on Mondays) at Los Cucos.

Tuesday - Back into San Antonio for the Mission Trail. It's several of the old Spanish mission churches (the church at the Alamo is one of them). They are in various states of completion and renovation, but a lot of very interesting history. The road that connects the missions goes right past Stinson airport, so we stopped there for lunch at the cafe. Just my luck, though, there was a B-24, B-17, and P-51 parked on the ramp. A group had them on display and was selling rides. I had to be content just to look. That is one busy airport. I could see, off to the west, some traffic at one of the Air Force bases in the distance. I couldn't tell if it was C-5 or C-17 traffic, but they were BIG. Finished up the day with dinner at Friesenhaus in New Braunfels.

Wed morning - walked around Gruene and drove the River Road one last time before we headed back to the airport.

A good trip. There is a huge variety of thing to see, do, and experience down there.

Ha! Sounds like we were in the same area a few times throughout the week/weekend. We went through Bandera on Monday, but just stopped for gas. Did you go up the "CAUTION: Steep inclines and sharp turns ahead" road to Kerrville or the other one? I wanted to take the 'adventurous' route, but we were mostly trying to get to Fredericksburg so we took the 'faster' route.

Do you remember your boat tour guide's name? I think our guy was Blair - a 30/40-something guy. He was good.

We didn't get around to doing the Mission Trail - next time.

Definitely a lot to do down in that area! We went to a city park near where my sister lives and we could have spent an entire day just exploring the trails in that area.

We'll definitely be back.

Ha! Sounds like we were in the same area a few times throughout the week/weekend. We went through Bandera on Monday, but just stopped for gas. Did you go up the "CAUTION: Steep inclines and sharp turns ahead" road to Kerrville or the other one? I wanted to take the 'adventurous' route, but we were mostly trying to get to Fredericksburg so we took the 'faster' route.

Do you remember your boat tour guide's name? I think our guy was Blair - a 30/40-something guy. He was good.

That's the route we took - I really liked one uphill climb in particular, where just before you hit the top of the hill was a sign that said "Guardrail Damage Ahead". Then you come over the crest, fall steeply downhill right into a 90-deg left turn with a flattened guardrail right in front of you.

Our guide was "Jose" or something similar. A really entertaining guy.

Matt

edit:
PS- Yeah, do the misson trail. The driving route goes directly past the entrance of Stinson Field. They make a good cheeseburger.

Sounds like a great ride. Takes me back, oh 2-3 years ago. ;)

Used to keep my plane in one of the T-Hangars on the east end of the airport. It's quite busy with training operations.

Hope you noted the picture of the plane on the wall at Busbee's.

Sounds like a great ride. Takes me back, oh 2-3 years ago. ;)

Hope you noted the picture of the plane on the wall at Busbee's.

D'oh - can't say that I noticed it. Mybe I saw it and it just didn't sink in.

I DID spend a lot of time looking at the pictures on the walls at Stinson. There must be quite a story behind that airport and the Stinson family (men AND women).

Go to Boerne Stage where they teach glider flying and build Texas Skyways engines.

Back