San Antonio

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I have an opportunity for a quick (2-3 day) jaunt to San Antonio sometime next month. Sorry, I won't be flying myself - commercial maybe or driving.

Any suggestions/recommendations for places to stay, things to see and do for a couple days (I've never been there before)? I know the Riverwalk is one of the popular tourist areas and I think we'd like to spend some time there.

Thanks,
Matt

I have an opportunity for a quick (2-3 day) jaunt to San Antonio sometime next month. Sorry, I won't be flying myself - commercial maybe or driving.

Any suggestions/recommendations for places to stay, things to see and do for a couple days (I've never been there before)? I know the Riverwalk is one of the popular tourist areas and I think we'd like to spend some time there.

Thanks,
Matt

I've been to the Riverwalk (restaurants get real busy there in the evening, some take reservations), The Alamo, and a cave somewhere on the NW side of town.

My sister and her husband moved down there year before last, but I have only been there once - 3 days last September to help them move - so I haven't really had a chance to see any sights yet. We'll be going down in the middle of March for a few days as a real 'visit'. If you find any gems, be sure to pass them on. ;)

Thanks,
Matt

We've been to the Riverwalk several times (it really is beautiful, especially in the spring--don't know about the winter so much!). The gondola ride is worth it simply for the history you'll hear about from the boat operator... he/she will tell you all about the surrounding buildings, area history, etc. It's a definite "value added" service and recommended.

Thanks all. This is sort of a spur of the moment thing. We have a couple free days next month and we REALLY need to get out of town. It may be just my wife and I, it may be us and our daughter. San Antonio just sort of came up as a neat place to visit. We'll see what happens.

Matt

Obviously there is plenty of BBQ to be had in the area. When I was there in September, the did find time to make it out to one BBQ joint east of town. It was a BBQ place that was a former livestock sale-barn. Very rustic. They were having a concert there the night we were there. I was very under-whelmed by the quality of the food, though. When you learn how to do good BBQ at home, it's hard to appreciate mass-produced restaurant BBQ. ;)

If you are a fan of Mexican food, there are plenty of places to find Good Eats in San Antonio. One of my favorites is El Mirador. Just a five minute walk south of the Riverwalk on St. Mary's St. Particularly good for breakfasts and their special "Saturday Soup." http://www.elmiradorrestaurant.com/

Where to stay? What's you budget?

If you can afford high-end, stay at Valencia, La Mansion, or Watermark. Hyatt is also nice. Avoid the Hiltons. The Marriotts ON the Riverwalk had not-so-good reviews from a couple of folks I know, Marriott Plaza fared better. The Menger has ghosts (well, supposedly). St. Anthony and the Sheraton Gunter are right downtown, too, and both have a bit of history about them. You'll pay a premium for parking at the Riverwalk/downtown hotels. At the lower end, there's a plethora of hotels around. A couple of B&Bs in town, too. The Doubletree near the airport was formerly a part of the La Mansion family, I don't know whether they've refurbished, but when I stayed there several years ago it was very much different than your run-of-the-mill Doubletree.

Food? My fave was a neighborhood place, La Fonda on Main. Really nice folks there. There are several "nice" places just off the Riverwalk, but most of the spots on the Riverwalk are tourist traps. Outside of downtown, Cappy's, Paloma Blanca, Caparelli's, Silo, and a few others make up a pretty good collection of restaurants. A bit out of town is Rudy's Barbeque. I like Rudy's, and I like Busbee's in Bandera. If you drive in from the north, make a stop at Salt Lick south of Austin (cash only, please).

Oh, see if you can get an evening at The Landing jazz club on the Riverwalk. Jim Cullum doles out traditional jazz - that's where they record the PRI radio series "live from the landing".

In the area: we all know about the Alamo - it was one of a string of missions along the San Antonio river. I actually find some of the other missions to be much more interesting, and far less touristy than the Alamo. It's worth a couple of hours to see them. Wave at the planes in the pattern at Stinson as you tour the missions (two of 'em are under the pattern for 14...)

More as I have time.

San Antonio is a great place to visit....

Last edited:
Thanks, Bill. We're trying to figure out what days we can go. There are a lot of logistics for us to take care of before we can even think of getting out of town. I'll start looking into some of your suggestions. Looks like it might be my wife and I and our daughter.

Probably we'll fly commercial into SAT and rent a car. We are deciding between staying somewhere outside the city and then driving in for a day or two - or staying in the city and driving out for a couple days.

Thanks, Bill. We're trying to figure out what days we can go. There are a lot of logistics for us to take care of before we can even think of getting out of town. I'll start looking into some of your suggestions. Looks like it might be my wife and I and our daughter.

Probably we'll fly commercial into SAT and rent a car. We are deciding between staying somewhere outside the city and then driving in for a day or two - or staying in the city and driving out for a couple days.

It'll come down to budget and age of your daughter (and timing).

Outside the city, the Westin La Cantera is right next to Six Flags (hint if you're daughter is "of that age") and a pretty quick ride into the city daytime. Or the Hyatt Hill Country which is next to Seaworld....

Once you fgure out the "who when how-much", post here or PM me. I lived in San Antonio for 6 years...

It'll come down to budget and age of your daughter (and timing).

Outside the city, the Westin La Cantera is right next to Six Flags (hint if you're daughter is "of that age") and a pretty quick ride into the city daytime. Or the Hyatt Hill Country which is next to Seaworld....

Once you fgure out the "who when how-much", post here or PM me. I lived in San Antonio for 6 years...

Our daughter's a HS junior. I think that, culturally, Sea World and Six Flags will take a back seat to history and nature (and the Riverwalk - both my wife and I want to see that).

The Riverwalk was and probably still is the destination for all of the AF BMT grads. :D There was a restaurant there that sold a huge steak (I forget the name now), I sat and enjoyed the sights and sounds while having what I felt was the best meal ever. Good times. :D

Have fun!

Our daughter's a HS junior. I think that, culturally, Sea World and Six Flags will take a back seat to history and nature (and the Riverwalk - both my wife and I want to see that).

Ah, in that case, do the missions as well as Riverwalk.

I'll see what else I can think of.

If you need to get around you can use my bike. I left it in the basement at the Alamo, just ask them to show you to the basement and you'll see it right away down there ;)

Seriously my last trip there I stayed a few blocks away from the river walk and convention center in a Marriott Courtyard and it was really fine. Quiet, safe and within walking distance to everything.

If you need to get around you can use my bike. I left it in the basement at the Alamo, just ask them to show you to the basement and you'll see it right away down there ;)

heh - I gotta be honest here, that's the first thing I thought of when we started talking about San Antonio!

edit - A couple days ago I had to call my credit card company (based in San Antonio) and the girl on the phone sounded exactly like that Alamo tour guide.

Last edited:

Seriously my last trip there I stayed a few blocks away from the river walk and convention center in a Marriott Courtyard and it was really fine. Quiet, safe and within walking distance to everything.

Sure you didn't leave it at the department store.... shockingly close next door? ;)

The Courtyard is fine, too, although with the lower occupancy in hotels, I'll bet deals can be had. A friend stayed at La Mansion for <$100 per night recently. I'll personally take that over the CY anytime. BTW, the Hampton Inn near the airport was very nice (and reasonably priced), too.

We've got the plans. Stay in New Braunfels, make a trip or two into San Antonio, spend the rest of the time in Hill Country.

We've got the plans. Stay in New Braunfels, make a trip or two into San Antonio, spend the rest of the time in Hill Country.

Where?

Groene, Boerne, etc. are nice, but are fringes of the "Hill Country."

Go to Kerrville, turn left at Hwy 16, head for Utopia, see prettyness. If you're mildly ambitious, go to Concan or Leakey (still not too far). Stay off of the Interstate.

Or, go to Fredericksburg and on to Enchanted Rock State Park.

Stop by Luckenbach, drink back a couple of cold ones.

The Jacala Mexican food restaurant is the oldest family owned Mexican food in San Antonio. The "puffy" tacos are one of my favorites. It's off the beaten path, but easy to find. 605 West Ave. Just a mile or so off of I-10. See www.jacala.com. Be sure and get the cheese nachos too.

Go to Kerrville, turn left at Hwy 16, head for Utopia, see prettyness. If you're mildly ambitious, go to Concan or Leakey (still not too far). Stay off of the Interstate.

How far of a drive are these places from San Antone'? We'll be down there this weekend/next week and are looking at 'new' places to visit with my sis and her husband.

Utopia.. heard a lot about it, always wondered where it was!
Lukenbach.. What Waylon Jennings fan could pass that opportunity up. ;)

OK - I'm writing it down, right now.

Oooh - here's an important question: I know I'll already stick out like a tourist, but I don't want to be TOO obnoxious - What's the preferred beer?

thanks chris - song stuck in my head now...

Oooh - here's an important question: I know I'll already stick out like a tourist, but I don't want to be TOO obnoxious - What's the preferred beer?

My recommendation would be anything that comes in a long neck bottle.

Barb

How far of a drive are these places from San Antone'? We'll be down there this weekend/next week and are looking at 'new' places to visit with my sis and her husband.

Utopia.. heard a lot about it, always wondered where it was!
Lukenbach.. What Waylon Jennings fan could pass that opportunity up. ;)

Do all that, it makes up a day trip, but a worthwhile one. YOu could "express" the drive home by going back using more of I-10.

OK - I'm writing it down, right now.

Shiner Bock, without a doubt.

Or you can "rent" Lone Star :rolleyes:

Y'know, I am a true child of Texas, and I tried, really tried, to love Lone Star Beer, and when I failed to love it, I tried to tolerate it.

But I still failed.

I am confident that Lone Star has its redeeming qualities. I just have no idea what those might be.

Y'know, I am a true child of Texas, and I tried, really tried, to love Lone Star Beer, and when I failed to love it, I tried to tolerate it.

But I still failed.

I am confident that Lone Star has its redeeming qualities. I just have no idea what those might be.

Substitute for Ipecac? :yikes:

I'm with you. If I HAVE to drink beer in Texas, it's gotta be Shiner.

OTOH, Texas makes some right nice wines up in Hill Country. Becker Vineyards makes some of the best (I know the Beckers), the winery does tastings and has a lavendar farm. It's right next to the STV VOR (literally you pass it on the way into the winery) on 290 East of Fredericksburg. It's worth the stop.

Substitute for Ipecac? :yikes:

I'm with you. If I HAVE to drink beer in Texas, it's gotta be Shiner.

OTOH, Texas makes some right nice wines up in Hill Country. Becker Vineyards makes some of the best (I know the Beckers), the winery does tastings and has a lavendar farm. It's right next to the STV VOR (literally you pass it on the way into the winery) on 290 East of Fredericksburg. It's worth the stop.

Beautiful place, we stopped by there for a tasting a couple of months back. They had a baby goat for sale, cute as could be.

But none of the wines we tried that day merited purchase. Maybe a bad selection?

I pointed out the VOR to Celia, who rolled her eyes. Wimmen!

But none of the wines we tried that day merited purchase. Maybe a bad selection?

I pointed out the VOR to Celia, who rolled her eyes. Wimmen!

Maybe they weren't pouring the good stuff. Go for the Reserves - the cab is quite good, as are a couple of the whites. Depends on the vintage, too, there have been a couple of rough years out of the last 10 in the Hill Country.

Didja explain to her how it worked? I think homing in on a VOR is a great way to find the vineyard....

Bill, Celia can home in on any wine, especially a tasty red.

I have heard Becker's strong suit is their whites, and we prefer red wines, so that might have been a factor.

Becker Vineyards -> on the updated list.

I'm thinking we may need to schedule another visit already so we can get everything in.

There's a pretty good local winery near us - they also have an apple orchard for pick-your-own in the fall. It's been a couple seasons since we've been there, it may be time to go back for a visit.

http://www.davenportwinery.com/

edit: it sounds like our Nuvi will get a workout.

But I still failed.

And to think that all these years I've been under the impression that Pearl in the can was the proper beer of choice in (west) Texas...

Used to get Pearl for about a buck a six back in the 80's...and I'm sure it was worth half that.

Pearl was certainly cheap, and for a time, that was reason enough to get it.

Actually, as budget beer went, Pearl was pretty good (this, before the company was bought out by, I think, Olympia, and the local brewery closed).

Bill, Celia can home in on any wine, especially a tasty red.

I have heard Becker's strong suit is their whites, and we prefer red wines, so that might have been a factor.

The only real wine is a red wine. (Champagne excepted, of course). ;)

Some of Becker's reserve reds (particularly the Cab) are quite good. Some of the reds are not to my taste, either.

Actually, as budget beer went, Pearl was pretty good (this, before the company was bought out by, I think, Olympia, and the local brewery closed).

It sure went down good on a hot day. Watery, but that was ok when re-hydration was the goal.

It sure went down good on a hot day. Watery, but that was ok when re-hydration was the goal.
Yeah, beer is always my first choice of beverages when re-hydration is my goal!:no::no::no:

Anytime else, yeah, it's right up there! :yes::yes::yes::yes:

Back