Salvage sources

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Besides Air Salvage Dallas and Wentworth, where else can we look for recycled Slick mags?

Where can I find old instruments for decoration purposes only?
I am looking to convert my office from guitar themed to aviation themed.

I need an old wooden prop too.

And Mike, what is wentworth?

Another well known aircraft salvage yard. Much like Air Salvage Dallas (next to the Lancaster, KLNC). They purchase wrecked aircraft and part them out.

Besides Air Salvage Dallas and Wentworth, where else can we look for recycled Slick mags?

White Industries around KC, the maintenance hangar out at Bowie or Wichita Valley. Al Martin used to be out there and Electra, had Piggly Wiggly Aviation in Nacona before going out there. I don't know if he's still alive or what happened to his salvage collection, but I would imagine if you inquire at Wichita Valley airport, someone might know. Might be something for you to expand into lol.

This post got me day dreaming about dragging a dust covered airplane out of the back of a hangar and rebuilding it with salvage parts. After poking around a bit though I came across this -

Avweb said:
First, the legality of the part, both its integrity and application, is determined by the holder of an IA.
http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/making_sense_of_salvage_198948-1.html

That says you need an IA to return to service and that would seem to me to put salvage parts out of the ball park - Salvage price + IA fee = might as well buy yellow tag ?

Thoughts ?

This post got me day dreaming about dragging a dust covered airplane out of the back of a hangar and rebuilding it with salvage parts. After poking around a bit though I came across this -

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/making_sense_of_salvage_198948-1.html

That says you need an IA to return to service and that would seem to me to put salvage parts out of the ball park - Salvage price + IA fee = might as well buy yellow tag ?

Thoughts ?

IF yellow tag is readily available.

A lot of folks go to salvage yards to find parts for certified airplanes that just aren't made anymore. Not necessarily because they are trying to be cheap. When you are trying to keep an older GA airplane in the air that is no longer supported by the manufacturer, salvage parts are often your only option.

Roger. I figured there was an angle I wasn't considering. Me - I'm just cheap. :goofy:

I guess I just figured an A&P would be able to return to service not an IA.

IF yellow tag is readily available.

A lot of folks go to salvage yards to find parts for certified airplanes that just aren't made anymore. Not necessarily because they are trying to be cheap. When you are trying to keep an older GA airplane in the air that is no longer supported by the manufacturer, salvage parts are often your only option.

Or you can produce new ones under the 'Owner Produced Parts' allowance.

Or you can produce new ones under the 'Owner Produced Parts' allowance.

Which can bring its own set of challenges (and costs). You basically have to look at all the options and weigh costs/lead time.

I have worked with Dodson International and St Peter's Recovery and Storage. Both have been top notch to work with from my perspective, but I wasn't buying used parts from them.

Last edited:
I have worked with Dodson International and St Peter's Recovery and Storage. Both have been top notch to work with from my perspective, but I wasn't buying used parts from them.

Yeah, I hauled a few planes to Dodson when I was doing recovery and I thought them to be a good bunch.

There's also Cherokee salvage in VA. (but they are primarilly PA-28s) and Griffin in Peachtree City GA. Wentworth is a salvage company that will pay $50k for a total nothing useable wreck just to get a couple of bolts to sell at market price for new.

Last edited:
Back