Salem Oregon: Two Fatalities

Based on Audio https://archive.liveatc.net/ksle/KSLE-Jan-29-2022-2300Z.mp3 (About 4-7 7 minutes in) - it sounds like it was N9530R.

I did a little playback and it looks the alignment to centerline was good. In the frame before the attached screenshot, indicated altitude was 145. Maybe a bad bounce?

Attachments

• KSLE.png
    KSLE.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 60
Here's the track from ADSBExchange... maybe a bounce/porpoise? maybe a gear up? Looks like they may have hit short of the threshold (see 15:03:11).
screenshot15.png

Last edited:
Hard to say what happened here, but it's sad to say that it was a stable approach. Its one those tragic accidents that makes us all pause. The previous track is from TTD (Troutdale) in the Columbia Gorge. They took off, did a very nice traffic pattern, airspeed control was great. . . and then in the flare/final something went south. Don't know about being short of the threshold, it seems like they ended up farther down the runway than that. From the wreckage it's either a hard straight in hit that folded the tail (stall - maybe on a go-around?) or with the damage on the wingtips??? The tracks are delayed and a split second snapshot. Salem was the airport where I was an airport kid walking the ramp. Some of the photos are from the restaurant on the field. Clear, dead calm day up here in the Pacific Northwest. Of all the days for something to happen, this afternoon wouldn't be a prime candidate. Will have to wait for the NTSB to give their opinion. Tragic.

A photo of the crash site, perhaps or not after the plane was moved out of the crater to get to the cockpit area, with an odd ground scar leading to the impact point. Too low for a developed spin, but could be a departure stall. The pilot was well known and a loss to the community here in the Pacific NW. Stay safe and keep the wind over the wings.

273009416_10159964779236810_8699146278816870071_n.jpg

Last edited:
One hell of a divot. I think those two were just along for the ride the last seconds of that flight. Yuck.

They had taken off less than ten minutes before. (I believe ADS-B shows this, as well as the tower audio. They did one pattern circuit at KSLE). I can't recall if they were planning t&g or full stop. I think earlier in the day they must had come in from Portland/Troutdale.

Here's the track from ADSBExchange... maybe a bounce/porpoise? maybe a gear up? Looks like they may have hit short of the threshold (see 15:03:11).
View attachment 104153
About this time last year I managed to slam my nose gear it the very edge of the runway. The plane bounced back up into the air. If I hadn't have immediately pushed that nose over it could have turned out very bad.

Only damage was a busted rim, and my confidence, for a while.

I could see how this scenario could result in this kind of accident. Of course, they don't know what happened here.

My aircraft has a huge pitch up motion if I pour on the coals to go around. Easy way to get into a departure stall. Don't know about Bo's.

Dan's recent video has an eyewitness account of a go-around, power, pitch and stall. PIlot has a previous incident of the same thing in Eastern Oregon. Also, note that the photo of the family isn't the family, it's a press photo of the wife selling her printing business to another man. And the plane photo isn't of the day of the crash, but obviously 2012 taken at Troutdale, the home base. Salem has no Columbia Gorge foothills near it! A little sloppy in the rush to get the eyewitness report out there.

Dan's recent video has an eyewitness account of a go-around, power, pitch and stall. PIlot has a previous incident of the same thing in Eastern Oregon. Also, note that the photo of the family isn't the family, it's a press photo of the wife selling her printing business to another man. And the plane photo isn't of the day of the crash, but obviously 2012 taken at Troutdale, the home base. Salem has no Columbia Gorge foothills near it! A little sloppy in the rush to get the eyewitness report out there.
Ya may like him, ya may not. It may have happened exactly like he said, maybe not. But there is some pretty good stuff here that maybe will help someone from becoming a mishap.

Back