sailboats

Find out if replacing the engine requires cutting the cockpit out. Then you will for sure be doing some major work.

Find out if replacing the engine requires cutting the cockpit out. Then you will for sure be doing some major work.
When we go look at this that will be a consideration.

I replaced the engine in a Morgan 462. We did it on the water, and had to cut the cockpit to put it it. Honestly, cutting the cockpit wasn't that big of a deal, but I guess it will all depend on cockpit and engine location. We used the boom to raise it from the dock and lower it into the engine compartment. Wish I took pictures when we did it.

epoxy and glue ain't equal.....:confused:

Tom needs something with urea in it.
Both can be classified as structural adhesives. To be sure, there are differences and there are volumes of published objective independent laboratory tests comparing different structural adhesive products in terms of penetration into wood fibers, bond strength, stability of moisture content (shrinkage and swelling), degradation of tensile and shear strength over time, resistance to marine borers and rot, and many other physical properties. The only objective way to decide which product is best for a given application is to take a good hard look at the test results; otherwise it's just a religious argument.

Ditto for fuel and water tanks, check them carefully.

Tom

Both can be classified as structural adhesives. To be sure, there are differences and there are volumes of published objective independent laboratory tests comparing different structural adhesive products in terms of penetration into wood fibers, bond strength, stability of moisture content (shrinkage and swelling), degradation of tensile and shear strength over time, resistance to marine borers and rot, and many other physical properties. The only objective way to decide which product is best for a given application is to take a good hard look at the test results; otherwise it's just a religious argument.

Test results, or spec sheets. Talking to the manufacturers helps too, especially if your life will be depending on it.

Maybe this is common knowledge and Im the oddball out in not knowing this for a long time, but a sailboat is like an airplane turned 90 degrees of roll. The sail is more of a wing than a wind catcher and the keel too is like a wing, but small due to waters density... At least thats what a friend that sails told me...

Guilty. I’ve crewed on a number of small racing sailboats and owned a few on and off.

I replaced the engine in a Morgan 462. ... We used the boom to raise it from the dock and lower it into the engine compartment.
Pretty much SOP. I've helped do it twice and both times we used the boom.

how about testing it your self under actual application. build up a few parts and test to failure?

Pretty much SOP. I've helped do it twice and both times we used the boom.
I believe I'd rather remove piece by piece and build the new one in place.

I believe I'd rather remove piece by piece and build the new one in place.
If you think you've got the space, go for it. Some of those engine spaces are cramped and the hull constrains the way you'll be sitting/working in there.

With a price drop from 175 to 29 you have to wonder how many surveyors have already given it the 'thumbs down'.

With a price drop from 175 to 29 you have to wonder how many surveyors have already given it the 'thumbs down'.

I just bought a boat recently for about 40 cents on the dollar because of the owner has a reputation of all his toys being pristine...this one was not, but it was minor and was simple as a hatch started leaking and due to health issues and a failed a/c system the interior developed some mildew and smelled...He simply did not want to deal with it and dumped it for cash...money was not the issue for him his health is and was at the point where he did not feel comfortable running it himself...I have been offer twice what I paid for the boat. If this guy is selling it with two engines he had a plan and a dream...the dream just did not work out...

It is scary. but it may be a case of not being able to carry the financial load.
or the usage may not warrant the money spent, or he may realize it simply can't just set with out care he may not be able to do.

And at this point, would the seller release any details from previous prospective buyers surveys so that you can get an idea where you are at before you waste both of your time bringing in your surveyors if they are going to uncover items that are show stoppers for most buyers?

And at this point, would the seller release any details from previous prospective buyers surveys so that you can get an idea where you are at before you waste both of your time bringing in your surveyors if they are going to uncover items that are show stoppers for most buyers?
That's something we will see when we go look.

I believe the reason it has been on the market so long was too high of a price to start, and the longer it was on the market the fewer the buyers.

but the rebuttal to that is to see what other Ingreds sold for, they are a pretty expensive boat, and this on is the bottom of the market.
So, we are simply trying to do our home work. and see what happens.

It is scary. but it may be a case of not being able to carry the financial load.
or the usage may not warrant the money spent, or he may realize it simply can't just set with out care he may not be able to do.

It may. But it may also be a case of the deck being spongy, the rigging suspect, the mast-step rotted off etc. Ask the seller whether anyone had the boat surveyed in the past year and if the answer is yes, ask him to share a copy of the report with you. This may be a good buy at 39, but it may also be over-priced if he gave it to you for free.

Looks like - Same rules apply about the two happiest days of an owner's life.

And I'm really impressed that Stan used pooped in the proper context.

It may. But it may also be a case of the deck being spongy, the rigging suspect, the mast-step rotted off etc. Ask the seller whether anyone had the boat surveyed in the past year and if the answer is yes, ask him to share a copy of the report with you. This may be a good buy at 29, but it may also be over-priced if he gave it to you for free.
FTFY.

The most expensive sailboat you can buy is a free one.

The cheaper they are the more they will cost you...seriously...I have had quite a few sailboats over the years and my wallet is much happier now having to maintain a 182 instead...that should tell you something!

They are not like old cars and barn finds...unmaintained vessels deteriorate at an exponential rate.

Doesn't fix anything. My point was that without a survey, you dont know whether this is one of the examples where 'free' is too high of a price. 29,39 makes no difference.

Maybe the seller can't find parts for the engine because he keeps mis-spelling the manufacturer ?

Back