Safety pilot

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I got my first chance to be a safety pilot the other day. I made to sure to ask my buddy what he needed from me before we took off. I actually had to have him turn around because of dropping ceilings. There was no way we could finish the approach properly and remain vfr. We went back to where we started and did the ILS before calling it a day. Wx was just to spotty. It was yet another good learning experience for me.

Just want to verify something... As safety pilot, unless you agree to be PIC for the flight, you can only log SIC time..Correct?

Last edited:

Might want to read your own link:

Pilot A wishes to fly with Pilot B for the purpose of practicing instrument flying in a high-performance aircraft. Pilot A may legally act as PIC and has agreed to act as PIC. Pilot A will be wearing a view-limiting device and will be flying by reference to instruments. Pilot B is rated in the aircraft and has a current medical certificate but is not instrument rated, endorsed to fly high-performance airplanes, or have a current flight review. Pilot B has agreed to be the safety pilot for the flight.

Pilot A may log PIC and simulated instrument time. Pilot B may log second-in-command (SIC) time. Pilot A is assuming PIC responsibilities and may log PIC. Pilot B is a crewmember where more than one pilot is required and may log SIC (FAR 61.51). Again, because Pilot B is a required crewmember, he/she will need a current medical certificate (FAR 61.3).

Just want to verify something... As safety pilot, unless you agree to be PIC for the flight, you can only log SIC time..Correct?

Correct.

And Ron L. will be along shortly to give you all the rest of the crap that goes along with the Safety Pilot being PIC.

:wink2:

Not the plane but the "regulations under which the flight is conducted."

That's the part I was looking at.

On a different note...Is logging SIC good for anything other than TT? I have no plans to fly professionally.

Last edited:
A Bonanza pilot asks me to be safety pilot. I fly a Cirrus. I have a complex and high performance endorsement and current Instrument rating. I have flown in a Bo, but never as PIC.

Can I legally fly as PIC without a specific checkout in the Bo? Should I?

A Bonanza pilot asks me to be safety pilot. I fly a Cirrus. I have a complex and high performance endorsement and current Instrument rating. I have flown in a Bo, but never as PIC.

Can I legally fly as PIC without a specific checkout in the Bo? Should I?

Legally, yes. The FAA doesn't care (for the most part) beyond proper ratings and endorsements. A checkout to be safety pilot? Waste of $$ in my opinion. The owner of the plane can probably teach you more about the specifics than some random CFI.

I've spent lots of time as a safety pilot, any excuse to get in the air. I even did it with a member of this here board not that long ago, he did a great job too. Didn't log a thing for any of it, don't really see the point.

I've spent lots of time as a safety pilot, any excuse to get in the air. I even did it with a member of this here board not that long ago, he did a great job too. Didn't log a thing for any of it, don't really see the point.

1500 hours zomg!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!11111!!!!!!!!!!

Can I legally fly as PIC without a specific checkout in the Bo?
Yes. There is no FAA requirement for a "checkout" in anything.

Should I?
Only you can answer that question.

I ask myself a similar question when someone wants me to give them a FR in an airplane I'm not familiar with.

There is also an insurance question. Chances are that your friend's insurance has an open pilot warranty you don't meet. A mishap while you are acting as PIC would give the insurer am excellent reason to deny coverage in the case of a mishap.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on whether you want/need the hours to count for insurance of FAA certification reasons.

Can I legally fly as PIC without a specific checkout in the Bo?
Assuming you are otherwise qualified to act as PIC (flight review, landing currency for passengers, instrument currency if operating IFR, etc), and that Bonanza pilot agrees to it, yes, that would be legal.

Should I?
Probably not. You may have exceptional qualifications which are worthy of acting as PIC in a type you've never flown (as opposed to having flown in), but if you're asking this questions, it's not likely you do.

Back