Safety pilot question

If you want something that clarifies the obvious definition of simulated instrument flight (if that's what you're quibbling on about), then here are the definitions clarified by the FAA chief counsel (letter to Joseph Carr, 1984):

"Simulated" instrument conditions occur when the pilot's vision outside of the aircraft is intentionally restricted, such as by a hood or goggles.
Okay, thanks, that's all I was asking for. No need to get insulting.

BUT WHAT IF... conditions require an IFR clearance to get into and out of the airport. Can Mr.IFR log the entire Hobbs time since he is now the acting PIC since he is the instrument rated pilot? I believe the answer is yes. But what about the approaches.. you receive an IFR clearance for the approach, but your friend, Mr.VFR, is flying it. Can you log the approach in your logbook to count towards currency, or is it only the actual flight time you can log

**I've asked this question before and have never gotten a simple "yes you can both log the total 2.5 hobbs but only the one flying can log the approaches" or whatever. All the answers I've seen around this are very complicated and pedantic.

Your belief is wrong. Mr. IFR cannot log time. As discussed here numerous times, acting PIC and logging PIC are different concepts.

The answer is not complicated or pedantic, but is pretty straightforward. Under 61.51(e)(1), the only time a person can log PIC is when (i) they are sole manipulator, (ii) they are solo, or (iii) they are acting PIC of a flight that requires more than one pilot.

More than one pilot is not required until Mr. VFR wears a hood. Mr. IFR cannot log any time while Mr. VFR is sole manipulator not wearing a hood...

...unless he is a CFiI, as 61.51(e)(3) allows a CFI to log PIC time whenever they are acting as an authorized instructor and qualified to act as PIC.

they are acting PIC of a flight that requires more than one pilot.
I get this part, while Mr.VFR's hood is on more than one pilot is required, and if the two agree that Mr.IFR is acting PIC then he can log that time.. but, to clarify the point below:
Mr. IFR cannot log any time while Mr. VFR is sole manipulator not wearing a hood...
..what if you are in the clouds, or even outside of the clouds, but on an IFR clearance. Isn't Mr.IFR then becoming a required crew member since he is technically the only one that can accept that IFR clearance (assuming he is current and rated)?

..what if you are in the clouds, or even outside of the clouds, but on an IFR clearance. Isn't Mr.IFR then becoming a required crew member since he is technically the only one that can accept that IFR clearance (assuming he is current and rated)?
The operation doesn't "require more than one pilot" under the type certification or the regulations. Mr. IFR is the only required crewmember at that point. Alas if Mr. VFR is still manipulating the controls, then Mr. IFR can't log anything. There's no provision in 61.51 for logging PIC just because you are PIC (or as I like to say, being PIC is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition to log it).

It's not a matter of WHO is required, it's a matter of HOW MANY. The question you need to ask is, "does this operation require more than one pilot?" The answer is no. Mr. IFR cannot log the time above.

Mr. IFR is the only required crewmember at that point. Alas if Mr. VFR is still manipulating the controls, then Mr. IFR can't log anything.
.. thanks, seems odd since Mr.VFR may be under the hood and have no idea they are in the clouds, and he is still sole manipulator

At the start of this thread I thought it was indicated that they can both log full time, since the OP's situation was pretty much identical to my example

The second CFII is wrong and I don't even understand the rationale behind the argument. You did not violate 61.3(e) because at no time did you act as PIC of an IFR flight. The IR pilot acted as PIC the entire flight.
*so in my example Mr.IFR was acting PIC.

nyone, including nonpilot passengers, can manipulate the controls of the airplane at any time if the person acting as PIC permits them to do so; the PIC does not have to be a CFI.
You may continue to fly in IMC and you may log PIC time under 61.51(e):
*So, doesn't this mean that if Mr.IFR was acting PIC of an IFR flight he gets to log the time.. AND, so does Mr.VFR since they were sole manipulator?

IFR or not does not matter. IMC or not does not matter.
*who gets to log the actual instrument time though? The sole manipulating non IR rated pilot? Or the acting PIC for the IR clearance but no manipulating the controls?

I guess stated another way. In scenario B, do you log 1.6 or 2 hrs as safety?
Scenario A: You go flying for 2 hrs.. your buddy is under the hood for 1.6. Typically if this was all VFR the left seat logs the full 2 hrs, and the right seat safety pilot can log the 1.6 (but no landing or XC time, etc., and can only log the 1.6 if both agree that while under the hood he is acting PIC).. what happens though if instead:
Scenario B: You go flying for 2 hrs.. your buddy is under the hood for 1.6.. but the whole 2 hr flight was conducted under instrument flight rules with a clearance, and all the approaches flown were cleared approaches, with some say 0.7 actual mixed in.. Does the right instrument rated safety pilot now get to log the full 2 hrs, plus the 0.7 actual, and the approaches, or is it still just the 1.6 as above?

Bang.

Head.

Wall.
lol sorry! Just want trying to full wrap my head around it and understand its real world applicability.

Thanks @dmspilot pilot, the clarification over "how many is required" vs "who is required" helped. So can you "get around" that by just leaving him under the hood while you go through actual IMC?

Last question, in addition to the post above.. I promise! I owe you guys all beers or something

lol sorry! Just want trying to full wrap my head around it and understand its real world applicability.

Thanks @dmspilot pilot, the clarification over "how many is required" vs "who is required" helped. So can you "get around" that by just leaving him under the hood while you go through actual IMC?

Last question, in addition to the post above.. I promise! I owe you guys all beers or something

Read the link I quoted in my edited post. I covered the whole acting/logging thing in quite a bit of detail. Lazy ass mods wouldn't sticky that thread though.

Read the link I quoted in my edited post.
Thanks... so basically, even if you were acting PIC, you can't always log it.. only when two crew members are required

From the example above I can only log the 1.6hrs that my buddy was under the hood, and that's it. My buddy can log the full 2 since he was sole manipulator the whole time. IFR clearances, IMC, VMC, etc., don't matter.. you were still acting PIC but can't log it unless the flight requires two pilots and you agreed to act as PIC or you were sole manipulator. Granted, if there is a pilot deviation during any of that 2 hr flight, technically it is the acting PIC who gets burned then throughout the duration of that 2 hr flight

Got it. I think that's what DMS pilot was also getting at. Still strange to me that a VFR only pilot can log the time in actual IMC without a CFI in the right seat and without the IR rated safety pilot logging any of that time or flying the plane.. but I guess if he is acting PIC he is assuming responsibility

Anyway, thanks

Thanks... so basically, even if you were acting PIC, you can't always log it.. only when two crew members are required

From the example above I can only log the 1.6hrs that my buddy was under the hood, and that's it. My buddy can log the full 2 since he was sole manipulator the whole time. IFR clearances, IMC, VMC, etc., don't matter.. you were still acting PIC but can't log it unless the flight requires two pilots and you agreed to act as PIC or you were sole manipulator. Granted, if there is a pilot deviation during any of that 2 hr flight, technically it is the acting PIC who gets burned then throughout the duration of that 2 hr flight

Got it. I think that's what DMS pilot was also getting at. Still strange to me that a VFR only pilot can log the time in actual IMC without a CFI in the right seat and without the IR rated safety pilot logging any of that time or flying the plane.. but I guess if he is acting PIC he is assuming responsibility

Anyway, thanks

Yep. That's the way the regs be written.

*who gets to log the actual instrument time though? The sole manipulating non IR rated pilot? Or the acting PIC for the IR clearance but no manipulating the controls?
The sole manipulating non IR rated pilot, and only that pilot... as long as the pilot flying is not wearing a hood.

Yes, it DOES sound crazy. But them's the regs.

As I said in my post, being pilot in command is not a necessary or sufficient condition to log it.
There are a couple of ways (sole manipulator, giving instruction) that you can log it if you are not pilot in command.
The only two ways you can log pilot in command because you are pilot in command require additional conditions (sole occupant of the aircraft, sole manipulator and rated, ATP in operations requiring an ATP).

The law has been refined and tweaked over the years, but the essence hasn't changed (it used to be ATPs could always log PIC even in part 91-only operations when the were PIC. There used to be a riddle about how many people you could get logging pIC at the same time).

Regarding the "acting PIC," that term has always bugged me, because it sounds like he/she is not the real PIC, but just a substitute.

Can Mr.IFR log the entire Hobbs time since he is now the acting PIC since he is the instrument rated pilot? I believe the answer is yes.

No. Nothing about being the acting PIC allows you to log the time.

But what about the approaches.. you receive an IFR clearance for the approach, but your friend, Mr.VFR, is flying it. Can you log the approach in your logbook to count towards currency, or is it only the actual flight time you can log

Neither.

**I've asked this question before and have never gotten a simple "yes you can both log the total 2.5 hobbs but only the one flying can log the approaches" or whatever. All the answers I've seen around this are very complicated and pedantic.

So are the FARs. ;)

At the start of this thread I thought it was indicated that they can both log full time, since the OP's situation was pretty much identical to my example

Mr. IFR can log the time that Mr. VFR is under the hood, since he's now pilot in command with two crew required.

I guess stated another way. In scenario B, do you log 1.6 or 2 hrs as safety?
Scenario A: You go flying for 2 hrs.. your buddy is under the hood for 1.6. Typically if this was all VFR the left seat logs the full 2 hrs, and the right seat safety pilot can log the 1.6 (but no landing or XC time, etc., and can only log the 1.6 if both agree that while under the hood he is acting PIC).. what happens though if instead:
Scenario B: You go flying for 2 hrs.. your buddy is under the hood for 1.6.. but the whole 2 hr flight was conducted under instrument flight rules with a clearance, and all the approaches flown were cleared approaches, with some say 0.7 actual mixed in.. Does the right instrument rated safety pilot now get to log the full 2 hrs, plus the 0.7 actual, and the approaches, or is it still just the 1.6 as above?

Scenario A:
Mr. VFR logs 2.0 flight time, 2.0 PIC, 1.6 simulated instrument, all approaches, landings and XC.
Mr. IFR logs 1.6 flight time, 1.6 PIC if he was acting PIC for the flight (1.6 SIC otherwise), and that's it.
Scenario B:
Mr. VFR logs 2.0 flight time, 2.0 PIC, 0.9 simulated instrument, 0.7 actual instrument, all approaches, landings, and XC.
Mr. IFR logs 1.6 flight time, 1.6 PIC, and that's it.

I know there's an official interpretation that XC cannot be logged by the safety pilot. I believe the same is true of approaches in actual with the sole manipulator under the hood, since the safety pilot isn't actually flying the approach.

The law has been refined and tweaked over the years, but the essence hasn't changed (it used to be ATPs could always log PIC even in part 91-only operations when the were PIC. There used to be a riddle about how many people you could get logging pIC at the same time).

And there are still scenarios where anywhere from zero to three people can log PIC.

There's a letter out there that indicated at least one person may log PIC if 61.51 isnt met.
Really? The only thing that ever espoused that crazy view I recall was John Lynch, and nothing he wrote on the subject had any official merit (in fact, they roundly disavowed all he wrote).

There's a letter out there that indicated at least one person may log PIC if 61.51 isnt met.

Really? The only thing that ever espoused that crazy view I recall was John Lynch, and nothing he wrote on the subject had any official merit (in fact, they roundly disavowed all he wrote).

Which crazy view?

Ed is right, the "zero" scenario, where for example a private pilot takes his friend up and lets the friend be the sole manipulator, while the letter of the law still reads that way, doesn't really exist any more since there is a letter of interpretation stating that the pilot may still log that time that the non-rated friend is manipulating the controls.

Many scenarios for one logging PIC. For two logging PIC, it can be in a multi-crew operation where the SIC is sole manipulator or the safety pilot scenario. For three, it's a two-crew-required where there is a captain (acting PIC) under 61.51(e)(1)(iii) or (e)(2), a rated FO who is sole manipulator under (e)(1)(i), and one or both of them are receiving instruction from an appropriately rated instructor who logs PIC under (e)(3). Fun! :rofl:

From what I recall it was pre-Lynch days. 1978 rings a bell for some reason

Nor mine personally, but that has been the conventional wisdom, and they certainly have strong financial incentive to avoid payouts.
Actually, there was a thread recently on BeechTalk in which folks were asked to relate stories of aviation insurers refusing to pay a claim. 33 posts with the usual thread drift. Only one example (mine) was mentioned.

Beware of using other, larger market, insurance as an example.

Have you got solid aviation examples for this? It certainly hasn't been my experience.
I think it’s an OWT perpetrated by some insurance companies (Avemco comes to mind) to get you to choose them over another insurance company that ‘might not pay’.

I think it’s an OWT perpetrated by some insurance companies (Avemco comes to mind) to get you to choose them over another insurance company that ‘might not pay’.

Avemco actually will send out in their newsletter maybe once a year or so, a list of things they refused to cover and why. Good education to avoid doing those things.

Avemco actually will send out in their newsletter maybe once a year or so, a list of things they refused to cover and why. Good education to avoid doing those things.

“Here’s all the reasons why that money you send us, could be worthless, thanks to our lawyers who carefully craft our policies...”

LOL. Seems like a super crappy marketing plan.

Not to mention, who needs a “newsletter” from an insurance company? Save the printing costs there kids, and the paper. LOL.

If EXISTING customers need education on the product they purchased, that’s just pitiful. Read the damn policy before you sign it.

A former poster (who now goes by the handle poadeleted20) used to post frequently about the dangers of doing things contrary to technicalities in the regs because your insurance might not pay out in the event of bent metal even if the violation had nothing to do with the incident. If it's an OWT, it's one that dies hard. I certainly would not try to convince another pilot that he has nothing to worry about, even if I myself might not be all that concerned. After all, it's his airplane.

A former poster (who now goes by the handle poadeleted20) used to post frequently about the dangers of doing things contrary to technicalities in the regs because your insurance might not pay out in the event of bent metal even if the violation had nothing to do with the incident. If it's an OWT, it's one that dies hard. I certainly would not try to convince another pilot that he has nothing to worry about, even if I myself might not be all that concerned. After all, it's his airplane.
That's one of the thing different from state to stat. In some states, the technicality is a basis for denial; in others the technicality had to be a cause.

Not to mention, who needs a “newsletter” from an insurance company? Save the printing costs there kids, and the paper. LOL.

Well, Mr. Curmudgeon - It's an EMAIL newsletter. :rolleyes:

If EXISTING customers need education on the product they purchased, that’s just pitiful. Read the damn policy before you sign it.

It actually has reasonably useful safety articles and such. And I'm glad to have seen the article on denials too, it was quite interesting.

And how does that support the assertion that you can log PIC just because nobody else is?
"Also, a pilot, rated in category and class (e.g. airplane single-engine) could, as the pilot who "Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight" log PIC time if another pilot, not appropriately rated, was actually manipulating the controls of the aircraft."

And how does that support the assertion that you can log PIC just because nobody else is?

IMO it doesn't. Apparently the Chief Counsel didn't understand the meaning of the word "only".

Well, Mr. Curmudgeon - It's an EMAIL newsletter. :rolleyes:

It actually has reasonably useful safety articles and such. And I'm glad to have seen the article on denials too, it was quite interesting.

Because data centers sending out useless newsletters use less resources than paper printing... uhhhh... right. LOL.

I should also point out, that while I have been aware of yea olde Beane letter for many years, I have never seen, nor am I aware of anyone who has claimed to actually have seen, an actual copy of the signed original.

Regarding the "acting PIC," that term has always bugged me, because it sounds like he/she is not the real PIC, but just a substitute.

Its like saying a lawyer is "practicing" law.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back