Sad Day for Me

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
This morning my 86 year old father passed away. He was ready to go and went in peace and dignity. It leaves a huge hole in my heart though and, for now, I am sad.

I am grateful that I was with him the week after Gaston's. He was pretty weak by that time, and I am so glad I was able to help him who helped me so much for so many years.

I took him on what has turned out to be his last plane ride in the Mooney only about a year ago. He had a ball flying it. I remember our last game of golf together. I remember our last little family reunion at Port Aransas, TX. Dad was in the Navy in WWII, and we drove over to Corpus Christi and went through the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier.

I remember an honest businessman, a loving father and husband, a man active in his church, a man with many friends all over the country, a man slow to anger and quick to smile, a man who liked to dance with my mother, a man you would like to have known.

There are tears on my desk as I type this. I am sad today.

Attachments

• Larry Flynn March 2005.JPG
    Larry Flynn March 2005.JPG
    536.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Lance,

I am so sorry to hear about this. My condolances and prayers out to you and your family.

The moments you can spend with older family are priceless. I am glad for you that you had the chance to spend time with him recently.

bill

There are tears on my desk from reading it. It is a sad day and the hurt is so deep. I can guarantee that he will be with you every day for the rest of your life.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Linda

Lance,
As Bill said, my thoughts and condolences to you and your family. My dad passed a year and a half ago, and your words bring tears to my eyes as I remember him. I took my dad for his first and only small plane ride just a few months before he passed, and know he found it special. I'm glad you were able to spend time with your dad shortly before he left us.

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a man that anyone would be lucky to know.

Condolences to you and your family.

-Chris

silver-eagle said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences to you and your family.
You are as eloquent in writing as in person. My condolences.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss Lance. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Brook

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, Lance. My condolances and prayers go out to you and your family. He sounds like he lived a great life and was a great man.

Regards,
Jason

Mary, Kathleen and I send our sympathy. My dad is getting on up there, too; expected, but never easy to accept.

So very sorry, Lance. It's been eight years since I lost my 80 yr. old Dad. So many memories that linger; as in, during his lengthy confinement from which there would be no going home, I told him I was going to learn to fly.
"Yeah? Well, I can think of better ways to kill yourself," was his wry comment. I never got to take him flying, but every time I fly over the home town I dip the wings, coming and going, over his resting place. And his Martin Marietta gold watch rarely leaves my wrist. Condolences to you and yours.
HR

Lance,

Agatha and I are truly sorry for your loss. It is a sad day when one loses a parent. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Keep the memories alive, Lance, and he will be with you forever. I know it is not in the same way. I am sorry for your loss, and your pain. Please know that we are all with you.

-Skip

Lance you have my deepest sympathies. He obviously was a great man.

Lance,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time of such sorrow. I to have an elderly father, now 87, who brought the joy of aviation into my life. Although a bit frail now, Bernie continue to fly with me around the country visiting museums and aviation events.

Cherish the photographs of your dad and share the stories and memories you have of your father to celebrate his life.

Take comfort knowing that his spirit continues to live within you, your children, and all those he has helped over the years.

God Bless,

Gary Gembala

My condolences Lance. When my dad passed away 6 years ago, it was the first time I felt like I was truely and completely on my own. When he was alive I always knew that no matter what I did or what happened to me, he would always be there for me. Losing a parent like your dad leaves such a big hole.

Lance my thoughts are with you and your family.

What great memories to share, and thank you for sharing a little about him with us.

Lance, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. Tom and I send our sympathy and condolences. You've had a challenging year with Sue's cancer and surgery, and now the loss of your father today.

It sounds like you were able to spend quality time with your father over the years, and I'm sure he appreciated that and cherished your time together. Your description of him is very touching. Thanks for sharing the photo of him...he had a wonderful smile and you could see the depth in his eyes.

We're thinking of you today.....

Lance , sorry to hear your dad passed,i know you can never replace him, But atleast you have Fond Memories to keep his memory alive.Sounds like he was a very nice person and went peacefully. I Feel for you and yours.
Dave G

Lance,

I'm so sorry. It sounds like he had a long and full life, which is all any of us can hope for, I guess, but it still hurts. His spirit will be with you whenever you fly.

Judy

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Lance. Your relationship with him sounds like it was really good, and your memories, as well. I agree with Diana - you can see the good man he was, in his eyes. It's as plain as day.

Take care of yourself, Lance. Get hugs. Lots of hugs.

Lance F said:
I remember an honest businessman, a loving father and husband, a man active in his church, a man with many friends all over the country, a man slow to anger and quick to smile, a man who liked to dance with my mother, a man you would like to have known. There are tears on my desk as I type this. I am sad today.

Lance,

By your words I see a role model, teacher and best friend. Treasure your memories and know he left you with life skills that he was proud to see you make part of your everyday goings on.

Mary and I send our condolences and will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Lance, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. It sounds like you and he had a good relationship and that will never go away.
My 80 year old Dad is in Macon, and though when I was a teenager I was pretty sure he was the dumbest person on the planet, now he's the smartest person I know. I don't really think it was HIM who learned a lot in thre last 40 or so years.

Keith

Lance,
Very sorry to hear about your father.
Our prayers are with you and your family.

Mark B

Having lost my own father in January, I know exactly how you feel, Lance. My sincere condolences.

Lance F said:
This morning my 86 year old father passed away.

I'm sorry to hear that, Lance. My thoughts and prayers are
with you and your family.

I lost my own father when he was 67 and not a day goes by I
don't think of him.

RT

Lance:

We grieve with you.

/s/ Spike

Lance, prayers for comfort from our family for you and your family. From your loving words here, I'm sure your dad was as proud of you as your words show you were of him. Share your memories and pass on the heritage he left in you.

Lance. I am sorry for your loss, it sounds like he was a great role model for you. I have a very strong, warm spot in my heart for all of those WWII guys. They are leaving us all to fast. Essie and I send our condolences.

My condolences as well, Lance.

I believe our dads make us into the men we grow up to be, and after meeting you at the Expo last year, I know yours did a fine job.

-Rich

My deepest sympathies Lance. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. My dad passed away in 1987 and I miss him still.

I'm very sorry to hear this Lance. Lost my Dad over the holidays last year and still think of him frequently. Number one person in my life.
My thoughts are with you.

Best,

Dave

Lance,

I'm sorry for your loss. He was obviously an excellent parent and role model, judging by how his son turned out.

My Condolences Lance. I hope you find happiness in the memories that you had together.

Back