RWY closed except over 12500 lbs.

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
KHIO has a NOTAM that closes a runway to aircraft under 12500 lbs for one day (tomorrow). Any idea why this would be?

A popular event nearby that will limit ramp space?
And fbos can dictate how ramp space will be allocated (ie by wallet size)
Austin is closed for Grand Prix this weekend unless you have fbo ppr

KHIO has a NOTAM that closes a runway to aircraft under 12500 lbs for one day (tomorrow). Any idea why this would be?
My guess is there is some kind of construction going on. But Nike has made a deal that crews will get out of the way when their plane is departing and arriving. Nike has a daily service for employees that live in California, Bay Area if I remember right. OAK, SFO, SJC??? I think it’s a CRJ they use. Now they probably can’t say except for Phil’s plane, but the 12,500 covers it.

EDIT: It was Intel, not Nike who had the scheduled service and it’s an ERJ-145. But now I’m reading that got shut down a few months ago.

Last edited:
A popular event nearby that will limit ramp space?
And fbos can dictate how ramp space will be allocated (ie by wallet size)
Austin is closed for Grand Prix this weekend unless you have fbo ppr
Hmm. Maybe. But there are two other Runways available that little planes could land on and be looking for parking.

maybe they are just trying to reduce the traffic on that runway and don't really need to totally close it, but realize that it's a better option for the bigger planes than the other runways, so they are agreeable to keep it open for them.???? Seems like it would result in fewer operations overall, and eliminate most all of the T&G type training traffic

KHIO is a port of entry. To allow customs service for larger aircraft they want 2 hour advance notice for permission to land. The airport also charges aircraft over 10,000 # a landing fee.

Tired of all the foreign students making bizjets go-around on the big runway?

I really have no idea. I landed there in a >12,500 airplane today and the only difference I noticed was there were exactly 0 flight school planes in the air. Generally it’s a hornets nest of incoherent accents.

It was a nice change of pace from how it normally is.

edit: There didn’t appear to be any construction happening either.

Last edited:
They let me fly the 31L approach into there today to get under the cloud layer so I could go VFR to a nearby airport. They were certainly far less busy than usual and everyone spoke recognizable English.

Likely performing work on 13R/31L (the big runway) and want to limit ops on that runway to aircraft that can't use the smaller runways.

EDIT: It was Intel, not Nike who had the scheduled service and it’s an ERJ-145. But now I’m reading that got shut down a few months ago.

Bummer. I've been retired from Intel for over 8 years, but that shuttle service was great. We ran ERJ-135s for years, and a Beach 1900 from KOLM to KHIO.

Back