Rv-7A Insurance

O

orv2485

Looking to build a RV-7a or 9a. What can I expect to pay to insure this type of aircraft?

Thanks

Looking to spend approx 45 - 50,000 and 3 yrs experience as a PP VFR rating

Wait for Chris Jones (CJones) to get back from Thanksgiving, His dad and him built a -7A a few years ago and will be able to give you definitive answers. also the forums at www.vansairforce.com will be very helpful if you plan to build an RV kitplane.

I looked at purchasing a friend's RV-6 for $85,000. Don't recall the quoted amount, but the coverage ran me off. $100,000 per seat limit: $1,000,000 smooth or higher wasn't available. There was also some question of passenger coverage. The current pilot had none for any passenger.

If this suits you, great. I kinna like the larger smooth coverage limits.

Best,

Dave

wow dave thats interesting. What agents did you shop around at? I know Falcon Insurance specializes in Experimentals, thats where I have my liability coverage on the glider through.

For two 400+ hr Instrument Rated Private Pilots on a RV-7A, ~$90k hull, you're looking at about $2-2500/year. VERY rough ballpark estimate. We actually got the paperwork for renewal quote while we were gone this week, so we're not really sure how things have changed this year. We should both be over 500 hrs TT which might actually help with the rate. Also, we both have over 200hrs time in type, which helps keep lowering the rate as well.

As mentioned earlier, check out www.vansairforce.net for more 'advice' on everything RV than you will ever need. ;) Also, check with EAA for homebuilt insurance. I think that's who we went through to get our stuff. I'm not even sure who our underwriter is - Avemco, maybe??

When I finished my 9A my hours were low (160 roughly) and my rate was high because of this. My first two years (2004,2005) were just under $2K for a VFR pilot and a hull value of $90K. When I hit 500 hours it dropped to the mid $1500 per year range. Transition training and time in type are big factors with these planes when getting a quote. The competition is lacking and affects pricing because few companies insure us any more. This give the ones that do the ability to charge what they deem appropriately for their risk. The critical items that make you a problem are first transitioning from other types of planes, the first 10 hours of flight on a newly built plane, and anything less than 500 hours. Once these are behind you the insurance companies see less warts all over you when you contact them. Good luck.

Bryan

wow dave thats interesting. What agents did you shop around at? I know Falcon Insurance specializes in Experimentals, thats where I have my liability coverage on the glider through.

Tony:

Sorry I missed this before. I used Henry A. at Falcon to get my quote. He said $1 million smooth just wasn't available. I don't have any tail wheel time. I'd be trasitioning, but would think the other time would help.

Best,

Dave

Back