Russian planes stuck in Dubai.

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
They hurriedly flew to Dubai to escape sanctions. But now, more than 100 private jets owned by Russian Oligarchs are grounded in Dubai...

https://luxurylaunches.com/travel/oligarch-private-jets-stuck-in-dubai.php

According to the article the planes are stuck there because no one will insure them or perform maintenance on them.

I don't know much about private jet mx or insurance or Dubai/other airspace rules, but it seems to me that the owners can self-insure them for one empty flight to mother Russia and what kind of MX could they all suddenly need that they cannot make a single flight?

Or is it all a bunch of BS and they are there because the owners don't want them in Russia?

They hurriedly flew to Dubai to escape sanctions. But now, more than 100 private jets owned by Russian Oligarchs are grounded in Dubai...

https://luxurylaunches.com/travel/oligarch-private-jets-stuck-in-dubai.php

According to the article the planes are stuck there because no one will insure them or perform maintenance on them.

I don't know much about private jet mx or insurance or Dubai/other airspace rules, but it seems to me that the owners can self-insure them for one empty flight to mother Russia and what kind of MX could they all suddenly need that they cannot make a single flight?

Or is it all a bunch of BS and they are there because the owners don't want them in Russia?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Dubai airports refused to fuel.

Drop a couple of ball bearings in the compressor section…gallium on the spar….

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Dubai airports refused to fuel.

The UAE is a safe-haven for Russians, and was before any of the Ukraine mess started. I seriously doubt they have problems selling fuel to the Russian oligarchs for their fancy jets. I would imagine they are "stuck" there because if they fly to any country with sanctions on Russia, their aircraft becomes confiscated. So, they can fly back and forth between Russia and UAE for now, but most of them don't want to be back in Russia I'm sure. While it's a bit of local rumor, the Russians (mob, oligarchs, etc.) have quite a presence in UAE and reportedly launder money through the country in various ways. The UAE looks the other way because they spend lots of money in country for lavish condos and lifestyles.

The UAE is a safe-haven for Russians, and was before any of the Ukraine mess started. I seriously doubt they have problems selling fuel to the Russian oligarchs for their fancy jets. I would imagine they are "stuck" there because if they fly to any country with sanctions on Russia, their aircraft becomes confiscated. So, they can fly back and forth between Russia and UAE for now, but most of them don't want to be back in Russia I'm sure. While it's a bit of local rumor, the Russians (mob, oligarchs, etc.) have quite a presence in UAE and reportedly launder money through the country in various ways. The UAE looks the other way because they spend lots of money in country for lavish condos and lifestyles.

So you are of the opinion shared with me that the article is BS and they choose(of a few available choices) to stay there rather than being actually stuck

So you are of the opinion shared with me that the article is BS and they choose(of a few available choices) to stay there rather than being actually stuck

Yup. I think "stuck" is being used loosely. Kind of like having your return flight from the Virgin Islands cancelled for a day or two due to a hurricane in Florida means you're "stuck" in paradise, lol.

Yup. I think "stuck" is being used loosely. Kind of like having your return flight from the Virgin Islands cancelled for a day or two due to a hurricane in Florida means you're "stuck" in paradise, lol.

We got stuck in Cancun in 2020 due to a hurricane. Eye came ashore 40 miles south of Cancun. Not fun at all. A return flight from the Virgin Islands due to a hurricane in Florida sounds much nicer.

Back