Runways - how close?

Llewtrah381

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Llewtrah
Let's say this is a hypothetical question...

Say a local airport has an "open house" pancake breakfast that's expected to have a few hundred people from the city in which it's very closely located - WELL inside of it, actually. Although it's not an "airshow", there will be a Warbird or two flying overhead for a bit. The field is not NOTAM'd closed, so local/transient/unsuspecting traffic can come and go unexpectedly. Visitors may wander freely about the ramp, including where people's planes are tied down, where the fuel pumps are, and where any transient aircraft (to include periodic King Airs and helicopters) would drop off and pick up passengers. The ramp is directly connected to the runway for about 600 feet; there is no taxiway stem, etc. to separate the ramp from the runway. It's a private field open to the public and run by a non-profit structured to run it.

A few questions:

How close do people consider safe to allow spectators to get to the runway, especially if a plane came or went? In fact, how close have people seen spectators allowed to the runway at similar events, with active flight operations? I've been to airshows, where I believe 500 feet is the regulation (which would literally put the crowd 250 feet outside this small airport) but haven't seen anything of the nature I'm describing. And no rope line or other "barrier".

How close would people think is safe for spectators to be to the runway if the Warbird were to do a low pass (under, say, 100 feet)?

You can probably figure out this is not in my comfort zone. To me, the safest thing would seem to be to NOTAM the place closed entirely for the hours of the event and let the Warbird operate at or above maybe 500ft AGL (1,000ft would be better - and more clearly "legal") with no low passes. Even then, I'd worry about "normalizing" having groups of spectators go up close to the runway and watch planes after the event.

To be honest, even as a pilot, I would not feel comfortable being within 50 feet of the runway (the distance the "stay out" signs are around the REST of the field) unless I had a reason to, such as dealing with a plane at a tiedown in that zone, if only to not be a distraction to pilots on the runway.

I know things like REKLAW happen but that's kinda "by invitation", on truly private property, away from the city, and attended mostly by pilots.

I'm genuinely concerned about the safety aspects of this and want to sense if I'm over-worrying. A handful of non-pilot friends standing less than 10 feet from the runway sideline to watch someone's warbird do a low pass is (debatably) one thing but what I'm hypothesizing is a much bigger, "unknown" crowd.

The bare minimum is usually 250 feet from the runway centerline, that is a typical Runway Safety Area at most airports for day to day operations. Airshows are a different animal, and have different show line set backs depending on the speed of the aircraft, from 500 feet to 1200 feet if memory serves correct.

Now an aircraft buzzing the runway with no intention on landing could be subject to the 500 foot minimum separation from people that we all are. Even at a private airport, the FAA could have objection to operation of the aircraft.

I’ve seen events where “stay outside the runway lights/edge markers” seemed to be the standard.

Quite honestly, as a pilot, I’ve been more concerned about the proximity of the general public to the taxiways, but the general public loses IQ points anywhere inside the airport boundaries.

I'm more concerned with ground huggers and their drooling psycho kids walking up and damaging aircraft.
A few (4?) years ago some family was up on the wing of a Stearman trying to put their kicking screaming kid into the cockpit. The kid did some serious damage to the cockpit and the mom stuck her heel through the fabric on the wing.
It was, of course, not their fault, not their responsibility, and the "Do Not Touch The Airplane" signs and tape they had to step over didn't apply to them.

I'm more concerned with ground huggers and their drooling psycho kids walking up and damaging aircraft.
A few (4?) years ago some family was up on the wing of a Stearman trying to put their kicking screaming kid into the cockpit. The kid did some serious damage to the cockpit and the mom stuck her heel through the fabric on the wing.
It was, of course, not their fault, not their responsibility, and the "Do Not Touch The Airplane" signs and tape they had to step over didn't apply to them.
Back when I was flying Stearmans for a living, it was a PR job, so we pretty much had to put up with stuff like that. Fortunately very little damage was ever done, but we did have one mom who wanted to take a picture of Little Junior in front of the airplane. Then she decided he should have his arm around the prop, so she grabbed a blade and pulled it down next to him. You’ve never seen 4 guys in red flight suits run so fast.:eek:

but the general public loses IQ points anywhere inside the airport boundaries.
EXACTLY my fear - some excited kid runs up to the Warbird firing up to taxi out, faster than the vested peeps can run.

The bare minimum is usually 250 feet from the runway centerline, that is a typical Runway Safety Area at most airports
Thanks. Do you happen to have a citation for that or is it a “norm”?

EXACTLY my fear - some excited kid runs up to the Warbird firing up to taxi out, faster than the vested peeps can run.

I share your concern...

I almost saw this play out at Oshkosh a few years ago. A small group had gathered around a P-51 to watch the start procedure. After the pilot did his cockpit checks he yelled "clear". The pilot hesitated as half a dozen people yelled and ran toward the airplane, waving their arms. There was a 6 year old hugging the prop. I'm thankful the pilot waited for verification that the prop was clear. Youtube is full of people yelling clear only to engage the starter before the word has finishing crossing their lips. I guess this is a mini rant but we all should be waiting and verifying the prop is actually clear before engaging the starter.

Anthony

Let's say this is a hypothetical question...

Say a local airport has an "open house" pancake breakfast that's expected to have a few hundred people from the city in which it's very closely located - WELL inside of it, actually. Although it's not an "airshow", there will be a Warbird or two flying overhead for a bit. The field is not NOTAM'd closed, so local/transient/unsuspecting traffic can come and go unexpectedly. Visitors may wander freely about the ramp, including where people's planes are tied down, where the fuel pumps are, and where any transient aircraft (to include periodic King Airs and helicopters) would drop off and pick up passengers. The ramp is directly connected to the runway for about 600 feet; there is no taxiway stem, etc. to separate the ramp from the runway. It's a private field open to the public and run by a non-profit structured to run it.

A few questions:

How close do people consider safe to allow spectators to get to the runway, especially if a plane came or went? In fact, how close have people seen spectators allowed to the runway at similar events, with active flight operations? I've been to airshows, where I believe 500 feet is the regulation (which would literally put the crowd 250 feet outside this small airport) but haven't seen anything of the nature I'm describing. And no rope line or other "barrier".

How close would people think is safe for spectators to be to the runway if the Warbird were to do a low pass (under, say, 100 feet)?

You can probably figure out this is not in my comfort zone. To me, the safest thing would seem to be to NOTAM the place closed entirely for the hours of the event and let the Warbird operate at or above maybe 500ft AGL (1,000ft would be better - and more clearly "legal") with no low passes. Even then, I'd worry about "normalizing" having groups of spectators go up close to the runway and watch planes after the event.

To be honest, even as a pilot, I would not feel comfortable being within 50 feet of the runway (the distance the "stay out" signs are around the REST of the field) unless I had a reason to, such as dealing with a plane at a tiedown in that zone, if only to not be a distraction to pilots on the runway.

I know things like REKLAW happen but that's kinda "by invitation", on truly private property, away from the city, and attended mostly by pilots.

I'm genuinely concerned about the safety aspects of this and want to sense if I'm over-worrying. A handful of non-pilot friends standing less than 10 feet from the runway sideline to watch someone's warbird do a low pass is (debatably) one thing but what I'm hypothesizing is a much bigger, "unknown" crowd.
This is easy. A warbird doing a low pass 100' from spectators isn't legal without a waiver from the FAA. So apply for a waiver, and I'll bet the rest sorts itself out.

and just think....all that lead vapor from expelled 100LL that encapsulates the children. ;)

I share your concern...

I almost saw this play out at Oshkosh a few years ago. A small group had gathered around a P-51 to watch the start procedure. After the pilot did his cockpit checks he yelled "clear". The pilot hesitated as half a dozen people yelled and ran toward the airplane, waving their arms. There was a 6 year old hugging the prop. I'm thankful the pilot waited for verification that the prop was clear. Youtube is full of people yelling clear only to engage the starter before the word has finishing crossing their lips. I guess this is a mini rant but we all should be waiting and verifying the prop is actually clear before engaging the starter.

Anthony
My CFI friend Chuck Robinson at Kalamazoo always liked to yell "Stand back or you're going to DIE!" His point is that many non-pilots may not understand what "Clear" means, but this they would understand.

FWIW, what you describe is a good way to get violated if there happens to be a FSDO guy in the crowd regardless of how close the people are to the actual runway.

I can tell you from personal experience that the FAA (or at least some FSDOs) considers a planned event such as a pancake breakfast an 'open air assembly of persons' and consequently minimum altitude is 1000' unless actually taking off or landing. 'Low approaches' don't count. To operate below 1000' in such a situation, requires waivered airspace.

My thought is that they should be far enough back that you aren't using the word close.

Visitors walking around the aircraft - can't do much to stop them, put a sign up telling about the damage they can do by touching and lock the doors?

Now an aircraft buzzing the runway with no intention on landing could be subject to the 500 foot minimum separation from people that we all are. Even at a private airport, the FAA could have objection to operation of the aircraft.
What makes it different in the OPs case is that as a planned pancake breakfast, there is an 'assembly of persons' which makes it subject to the 1000' min.

We used to use 500' as the hard deck until the issue came up with the FSDO and they told us in no uncertain terms - No.

A few years back, during covid to be exact, our super liberal town closed our airport for 6 weeks to "help stop the spread of covid". It is a small airport with no commercial traffic and minimal transient traffic.
The airport is back open after 6 weeks of saving us from covid, then the city decides that the high school graduation should be held at the airport and asks us airport residents to do fly by's to show support for the graduating kids. They had to close the airport again for 2 days to set up and have this graduation. Lots of pilots I knew were gung ho to participate in this low pass parade. I asked, if the airport is closed, what is the lowest legal for the low pass? Seemed like a set up to me, to get everyone to fly nice and low over the graduation and then town. NO thanks, I stayed away.

While 250' either side of the runway centerline is by far the most common RSA width, the standards are listed here: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1040834
Spoke w the FAA today. Our RSA is 50 ft - from the centerline of the 60-ft wide runway! The field is private and doesn’t take FAA money so, even though it seems less than ideal, letting people up to within 20 feet of the runway is both legal and outside the RSA. Wow.

Spoke w the FAA today. Our RSA is 50 ft - from the centerline of the 60-ft wide runway! The field is private and doesn’t take FAA money so, even though it seems less than ideal, letting people up to within 20 feet of the runway is both legal and outside the RSA. Wow.
Legal for the spectators and aircraft coming and going, but not for a warbird doing a low pass below 100'.

Who determined the RSA? According to the airport design standards, a 60ft. Wide runway has a 240 ft. Wide RSA (120 ft either side of the centerline).

Who determined the RSA? According to the airport design standards, a 60ft. Wide runway has a 240 ft. Wide RSA (120 ft either side of the centerline).
Dunno who determined it. The FAA rep I spoke with works in the Airports Division in Ft Worth (apparently at least one level up from the FSDO) and wasn’t all that surprised it was 50 feet since we “don’t have airliners coming in”.

120 feet would pretty much eliminate our parking ramp. And get into my backyard. Not ideal but I guess it happens, at least for legacy places.

Appreciate the input.

Back