Runway 22 at Hemet

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
Have been in and out of this airport a few times for building XC time and have always used 23, but was wondering... does anyone know the purpose of runway 22? I don't think I've ever seen it used

It is 2,045 long and 25 wide it seems like it would be a good runway to practice some shortfield work and generally good landing practice for something a little more challenging than 7,000X100

I did check the AFD and couldn't find any specific notes on it... so came to the POA braintrust to see if anyone around here knew

Would it be in poor form, or upset the locals to do some pattern work out of 22?

upload_2017-4-18_13-45-50.png

Have been in and out of this airport a few times for building XC time and have always used 23, but was wondering... does anyone know the purpose of runway 22? I don't think I've ever seen it used

It is 2,045 long and 25 wide it seems like it would be a good runway to practice some shortfield work and generally good landing practice for something a little more challenging than 7,000X100

I did check the AFD and couldn't find any specific notes on it... so came to the POA braintrust to see if anyone around here knew

Would it be in poor form, or upset the locals to do some pattern work out of 22?

View attachment 52874

It was used for gliders when there was a sailplane operation there. I suppose it's legal to use as there are no notams closing it. But nobody uses it so it may be bad form.

It was used for gliders when there was a sailplane operation there. I suppose it's legal to use as there are no notams closing it. But nobody uses it so it may be bad form.

Ah, you beat me to posting. Would be pretty hard to use it for gliders anymore, given the taxiway to the end of the runway is gone. I guess you'd have to pull the glider to the end with a tug, turn it around by hand, backtaxi the towplane, then hook up. A lot of work.

EDIT: I looked up the documents from @asicer and it looks like the glider operation was on the other side of the field. So, not so much work.

Last edited:
Call the manager and ask about using it?

This got me curious as I've never seen 22/23 runway pairs. It's usually 22L/22R, etc.

Anyway, I was digging around and found some useful nuggets on who uses 22 in the AOM. http://www.rivcoeda.org/Default.aspx?tabid=514
Thanks, from what I could tell it was an old runway for gliders... still, pretty narrow for a glider though, no?

That's what I am was worried about, bad form. But if 23 is left hand pattern and 22 is right I suppose you wouldn't really be in anyone's way? Didn't know if anyone here had first had experience

A lot of work.
Given how narrow it is the back taxi and turn around would be a challenge... so it would kind of be a touch AND go type situation only I assume

Call the manager and ask about using it?
Might just do that!

I did look into the glider closures, and I guess there was a glider club there in 2009 until it was closed, there was a lawsuit, they reopened the runway, and it's been like that since.. too bad about the glider closures. Gliders are fun and I feel like there aren't enough of them in San Diego and LA area... although the airspace is crazy busy so I can understand why!!

From the doc @asicer posted:
Thanks, so it's pretty specific that the small runway is not for powered craft... oh well. It seemed a like a fun runway to tool around with but I think it's apparent that it would "bad form" to do so. Oh well! Thanks all

Thanks, so it's pretty specific that the small runway is not for powered craft... oh well. It seemed a like a fun runway to tool around with but I think it's apparent that it would "bad form" to do so. Oh well! Thanks all

I wouldn't necessarily say that. That was from the glider operations manual. It didn't make any statement about use by powered aircraft that I saw. Just that gliders were prohibited from the big runway. Given that they are still maintaining the runway, I'd still call to see what's up.

Gliders and ultralights for the north field. There are a few small hangars on the north side of the field. I don't get really get the need to have a small field to practice short/narrow field. Every landing should be on and stay on the centerline through the roll out, and you can count runway stripes to know your landing distance.

Good restaurant at HMT too, was just there a couple weeks ago.

I don't get really get the need to have a small field to practice short/narrow field. Every landing should be on and stay on the centerline through the roll out, and you can count runway stripes to know your landing distance.
Right, maybe I worded that wrong. I don't have any issues with various landings (short field, softfield, etc.) but my landings are always on big beautiful runways. I like the challenge though of a smaller runway, and I bet the stress level is different in a real life situation as well. Like a practice engine out vs real engine out is going to be a far different experience. HMT seemed like a harmless place to tool around on a tiny runway

Good restaurant at HMT too, was just there a couple weeks ago.
Haven't tried it but have heard good things from others. I'll try it out next time I'm up there

Fallbrook is always 'fun', not as narrow, but plenty short. And a little disconcerting when you land and everyone comes out to watch you take off.

L54 is also a good time, especially when it gets a bit warm out there.

Flown over Agua Caliente and been out camping and off roading there. Haven't landed yet though but hear its fun! Fallbrook is also on my list. 2160 X 60 does sound fun!

Every landing should be on and stay on the centerline through the roll out, and you can count runway stripes to know your landing distance.
Yes but that doesn't have the pucker factor of doing it for real. Also doesn't give the same sense of accomplishment.

Yes but that doesn't have the pucker factor of doing it for real. Also doesn't give the same sense of accomplishment.

I guess ever since I flew a Cessna 150 at MGTOW off a 1,600' strip, with a 25' high brick building right off the end, as a student with my CFI, I've haven't felt a great need to go in search of the pucker factor just for practice.

I guess ever since I flew a Cessna 150 at MGTOW off a 1,600' strip, with a 25' high brick building right off the end, as a student with my CFI, I've haven't felt a great need to go in search of the pucker factor just for practice.
Yeah... you got those out of your system. Most of flying has always been on at least 5,000 ft runways with no real obstacles near it. I always elect the shorter 27L at SEE when able... simply because I think it's good to keep those skills sharp

Speaking of long runways... and slightly off topic, but at one of our club meetings we learned about some guy who ruined his SR22 engine well before TBO by not doing full power takeoffs. Airport has a nice long runway and he was doing some airliner style reduced power take off. I guess the Continental folks had sent him all sorts of literature about why a full power take off was so important for the health of the engine... rather than slogging it out full rich and like 60% power. If I recall correctly he wasn't leaning properly either in cruise... etc. etc.

I flew to this airport a couple times too, as a student in that 150:
Looks like a fun place to fly! If I still lived on the east coast I'd definitely add that to my list

From the Charts Supplement, (A/FD):
All powered acft tfc patterns to S. Gliders, ultralight act north side of arpt

Saw that in the AFD, but it also didn't restrict powered flight from 22... anyway. I may call them but otherwise seems like more hassle than it's worth and no sense to upset the locals! Just figured landing on a 25 foot wide runway would be a good challenge

They recently started using the glider runway again, there was an article in the soaring magazine a couple of months ago? The tow plane would also use that short runway.

Gad, I soloed at Hemet-Ryan, early seventies, from the Norton AFB aero club. Cool experience, flying formation with a hawk there - he was on the inside of my turn, same bank angle, looking over at me, me looking at him - same relative position for quite a few seconds.

A bit weirder, there were wild dogs or coyotes eating the fabric off aircraft at HR some years back.

Glad to hear they started doing some glider ops there again. Will have to go check that out

I can only imagine what flying there during the seventies must have been like, even now it is pretty desolate out in Hemet. Murrieta and Temecula were probably far less built up then, if at all

Lake Wohlford is great... I do a lot of flying around that area. Never landed there but it looks like an great airport to try

Fallbrook is always 'fun', not as narrow, but plenty short. And a little disconcerting when you land and everyone comes out to watch you take off...

Back in the 80's, I had an office just off the north end of the runway, across the street from Dominick's (best sandwiches in the world!)

And not a level spot on the airport or anywhere around. Makes for some funky sight pictures on approach.
Sounds like a cool place... may have to check it out this weekend!

It's a nice airport and pretty place.

The self-serve gas pump is by the hangars on the west side -- and well below -- the runway. Be sure your brakes are in good shape before you taxi down there. And it takes a lot of power to get back up to the runway! The photo below shows how the airport access road, the parallel taxiway and the runway are terraced like stair-steps into the hill. The SUV in the photo is in the parking area on the other side of the runway.

L18_02_HDR.jpg

Transient tiedowns are on the east (uphill) side near the south end.

Stay east of the airport at all times -- west of the airport is a (usually hot) R-area.

There are some good restaurants nearby, but you'll need a car. Enterprise will pick you up at the airport, but the process takes a while.

Last edited:
Lake Wohlford is great... I do a lot of flying around that area. Never landed there but it looks like an great airport to try
I lived at Lake Wolford for a few years - the Wolford Cafe on the north side of the lake had the best biscuits and gravy on Saturday mornings, and a catfish fry every Friday night, with hushpuppies and coleslaw served family style. Oakvale Lodge on the south side of the lake used to serve up some decent ribs. But that's a long long time ago.

Yeah, it's fun. A good friend of mine hangars his Starduster bipe there.

Went to Hemet this morning. A very cool CalFire OV-10 Bronco there, and the breakfast at Bambi's Hangar One Cafe is great! I enjoy setting up for the 45 over the middle of Diamond Valley reservoir.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm planning on doing some flying Friday and I may just check it out on the way home!

I work around the corner from KHMT and try to catch breakfast at Bambi's Friday mornings. Great food and People! Great atmosphere also.

Ed

Beautiful morning out there today, too bad I'm working!

Back