runup area. WWYD?

I feel your pain. CFI and student doing a 15 minute cockpit check and run-up. Every. Single. Time. They. Land.

That does seem like an unusual run-up configuration but I can see some brilliance in it. It does depend on some awareness to pull on through to the back spots.
Seems to me that
a) talking with the flight school's chief about it​
b) perhaps make up some simple "how-to" posters and stick them up at various places around the FBO, at the fuel pump, etc...as an FYI to folks​
might get the message across...if not to everyone, at least a bulk of them.

Put a sign in the FBO offering free coffee and doughnuts to students, pilots, and CFIs that are smart enough to do it correctly. Once you have them trained then quit with the free stuff ...

How would that help avoid the area unless you take off from the taxi way before you get there? You still have to wait for them to move to take the runway.

Just taxi around them on the grass. :rolleyes:

But there's also the radio... "Cessna in the runup area, if you're going to be much longer would you mind moving up so I can get by?"

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but I have gone through the grass to get around another plane and have had planes go around me in the grass, as well as used the radio.

That does seem like an unusual run-up configuration but I can see some brilliance in it. It does depend on some awareness to pull on through to the back spots.
Seems to me that
a) talking with the flight school's chief about it​
b) perhaps make up some simple "how-to" posters and stick them up at various places around the FBO, at the fuel pump, etc...as an FYI to folks​
might get the message across...if not to everyone, at least a bulk of them.
Put a sign in the FBO offering free coffee and doughnuts to students, pilots, and CFIs that are smart enough to do it correctly. Once you have them trained then quit with the free stuff ...
These would be good suggestions, except that this is KOMN. We don't have an FBO. We have a flight training school that is listed as an FBO and sells (overpriced) gas, but if you are not a student, you are ignored.
There has been talk about starting a real FBO for decades but they can't find anyone dumb enough too invest in one.

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but I have gone through the grass to get around another plane and have had planes go around me in the grass, as well as used the radio.
Another good suggestion, but one that doesn't work here, unless your plane can taxi on a steep slope without sliding into the swales.

Most people are not deliberately inconsiderate. It's usually more a matter of being unaware of their impact on others.
Also called situational awareness. There is a stark deficit of that in society now, and I think it is related to the sense of entitlement in people raised as spoiled kids.
Always saw the same thing at FDK runway 3 and you're right that we seem to have a lot of CFI's who don't understand SA starts before you leave the chocks.
SA = situational awareness. Yes, it's too easy to become a CFI. Proof? Lack of knowledge about some really basic stuff like carb ice and angle of attack, accelerated stalls, the relationship between AoA and airspeed, and other such subjects.

They also do runups downwind in ways that make doing a runup into the wind more challenging, and even occasionally pointing their prop wash towards parked planes. It's really dumb.

I recall George Braly of GAMI fame discussing how they put a couple of cameras and tufts of yarn all over the engine in a Bonanza and discovered that doing the runup with a tailwind actually was a better procedure.

Of course, we should always be aware of where the propwash is going.

Maybe ask them on the radio to move to the back if they're going to be a while?

Sounds like the OP has a case of getthereitis. Relax, have a beer, wait it out. Time to spare, go by air. And all that stuff.

I don't usually operate out of fields busy enough to be a problem but that's a dumb setup.... I think moving the hold short line closer to the runway like was mentioned earlier in the thread and maybe putting up a sign suggesting aircraft pull to the end to do their run-ups would be appropriate.

Another thing that I can see being an issue is some CFIs teach students to always do their runup with the nose pointed into the wind. I can see students awkwardly positioning planes, being afraid of spinning around in the tight space, or being afraid of getting boxed in by someone else doing the same depending on wind direction.

I'm hesitant to recommend this as it isn't the best procedure for a single pilot but I have on a handful of occasions done my runup while taxiing at particularly busy fields where ground conflicts are an issues. Preferably this should be only done with a 2nd pilot so one person is handling the taxi while the other runs the checklist but it's possible as a single pilot if your run-up checklist is fairly simple and you're experienced/confident in it just be careful.

Sounds like the OP has a case of getthereitis. Relax, have a beer, wait it out. Time to spare, go by air. And all that stuff.
I'm sure that you usually know what you are talking about, but in this case it's not my getthereits at play. It's my disdain for idiots. As I said, I often see them from my hangar and it annoys me even if I am not going anywhere. It's the same feeling of annoyance I feel when I'm at the gym at there are a half dozen people sitting on the weight benches and machines staring at their phones but not doing any reps.

But Hang 4 got it right:
Live in the land of puppy mills and you get tired of having to wait for dumb stuff.

Do they make a push bar for light aircraft? :fingerwag:

Back