Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated (my airplane is now a go-to image for crash articles)

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
When I set off around the world an Associated Press photographer turned up and got some shots of the departure. I guess he's put these photos onto some kind of journalist photo database because I'm finding that I'm now crashing and dying a lot in locations across the US, Greece, and even Kazakhstan.

I didn't take the photo so there's nothing I can do about it. It's a bit odd though.

As long as two guys in suits don't show up on your doorstep asking why you were in Kazakhstan, I think you're good. :)

When my Arrow bit the dust with a FAA employee and his daughter…the names were withheld because of his employer and the circumstances around it, for a week. Local TV ( Houston) news and print both published my name and address with a picture of the aircraft. Most of my friends assumed I was dead along with my daughter who also is a pilot. I received flowers to my office with condolences to my employees. It was a mess and took a while to clear up.

When my Arrow bit the dust with a FAA employee and his daughter…the names were withheld because of his employer and the circumstances around it, for a week. Local TV ( Houston) news and print both published my name and address with a picture of the aircraft. Most of my friends assumed I was dead along with my daughter who also is a pilot. I received flowers to my office with condolences to my employees. It was a mess and took a while to clear up.
#journalisming. That truly was a mess and your story is why I won't be letting anyone else fly or enter into a club/partnership/leaseback.

I've got a friend with a Seabee and there's a great shot of him over a glassy lake (with his reflection in it). It shows up all over the place. I didn't take that one (but some of my other pictures of him have gotten spread around too).

Ever wonder why the insurance on your N number has been increasing? ;)

You sure do get around ... you might be setting a record for number of crashes also ...

"they hate me cuz they ain't me" has always worked for me when it comes to staving off insurance hikes. :D

Look on the bright side. Now you know who your real friends are.

Y’know, you might make it into the record books for having crashed the same plane on multiple continents.....

(Of course, that Wright Brothers Award is probably off the table.)

So, when you walked up to folks that thought you were dead, did you tell them you got better.??

I sent out a blanket text and email…but yes I had a couple of double take encounters…if it were not for the circumstances of the time some really would be funny today.

Back