Ruined a perfectly good shirt today

48dodge

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
48dodge
Finally soloed today. Conditions weren't perfect but the best they'd been in a while. My CFI said that he had really thought today would have been the day for me to solo but conditions were a little too rough for him to feel comfortable. Head games. Yes there were about 15kt winds aloft but only about 4kts on the ground. After a couple times around the pattern and 2 good landings he directed me back to the ramp. :yikes: I called him a jerk and got all the paperwork squared away. Took a little longer than usual to push the throttle to the firewall on takeoff. And what everyone says about the climb without that lump in the seat next to you is very true. I was nearly 200' higher at the end of the airfield solo. Another student was in the pattern and went about twice as far on the downwind than he was supposed to so I thought he was leaving the pattern for some reason. Luckily I held back and he eventually turned base and final. At about this same point a Cirrus was overflying the airfield on a 45 to get to downwind. The other student was down and off the runway in plenty of time when I turned final. Landed fine although it was not the greaser everyone claims they have. Or have I broken a rule by not saying these were the best landings ever? Full stop and takeoff again. Come around and make clear radio calls on each leg and I'm turning onto final and that same student states they're taking off 35. Surely not. Yep, pulls right out while I'm on final and luckily gunned it. I was getting ready to side step and go around but he was well clear by the time I got to the edge of the airfield. So, I got to deal with some unusual things this morning. Another landing, not perfect but apparently not too bad, flares were good at least. Head back to the hangar. I don't remember a whole lot after that. Pictures were taken and somewhere along the line I helped push the plane into the hangar. Get back to the office and they pull some scissors out of the freezer to cut my shirt. I reminded them what payback was but they did it anyway.

I was brought back down to earth when I tried to start my car and the battery was dead.

Congratulations. You will remember this day for the rest of your life.

Finally soloed today. Conditions weren't perfect but the best they'd been in a while. My CFI said that he had really thought today would have been the day for me to solo but conditions were a little too rough for him to feel comfortable. Head games. Yes there were about 15kt winds aloft but only about 4kts on the ground. After a couple times around the pattern and 2 good landings he directed me back to the ramp. :yikes: I called him a jerk and got all the paperwork squared away. Took a little longer than usual to push the throttle to the firewall on takeoff. And what everyone says about the climb without that lump in the seat next to you is very true. I was nearly 200' higher at the end of the airfield solo. Another student was in the pattern and went about twice as far on the downwind than he was supposed to so I thought he was leaving the pattern for some reason. Luckily I held back and he eventually turned base and final. At about this same point a Cirrus was overflying the airfield on a 45 to get to downwind. The other student was down and off the runway in plenty of time when I turned final. Landed fine although it was not the greaser everyone claims they have. Or have I broken a rule by not saying these were the best landings ever? Full stop and takeoff again. Come around and make clear radio calls on each leg and I'm turning onto final and that same student states they're taking off 35. Surely not. Yep, pulls right out while I'm on final and luckily gunned it. I was getting ready to side step and go around but he was well clear by the time I got to the edge of the airfield. So, I got to deal with some unusual things this morning. Another landing, not perfect but apparently not too bad, flares were good at least. Head back to the hangar. I don't remember a whole lot after that. Pictures were taken and somewhere along the line I helped push the plane into the hangar. Get back to the office and they pull some scissors out of the freezer to cut my shirt. I reminded them what payback was but they did it anyway.

I was brought back down to earth when I tried to start my car and the battery was dead.

Congrats, I still have my shirt tail!

Congratulations!!!!

As carefully as we are about pre-flighting our aircraft, nothing is more embarrassing for me than to run out of fuel in my car.

Thanks guys, I've been ready for over 10 hrs, but between my home airport being shutdown for a week and then the weather just being crummy for several weeks after, I just couldn't catch a break on going solo. Luckily my CFI was kind enough not to milk me too bad and kept my lessons short during these last 4 or 5 lessons, just hitting basics and getting back in about an hour.

Congratulations!!!!

As carefully as we are about pre-flighting our aircraft, nothing is more embarrassing for me than to run out of fuel in my car.

Luckily it wasn't my fault this time. Just the cold weather finally shot the battery. Been thinking it was going to die the last 2 years.

Not everyone has their best landings at first solo.

I did all three of mine with the cargo door hanging wide open. That's the aviation equivalent of giving a speech with your fly open.

Nothing lost but my ego. I guess that means my landings weren't that hard, or at least didn't have much sideload (or a crosswind from the right).

Congrats.

FYI, you'll find lots of fish stories in people's stories of first solos. Everyone seems to grease landings at 5 hours....but every instructor seems to say otherwise.

Congrats....always good to hear of another successful solo

Congrats!!!

Keep pushing hard and in a few months we'll be able to say...

"welcome to the club!"

Congrats,you can always get another shirt.

Way to go, 48Dodge!! Hang in there and get 'er done.

Good job! My instructor didn't take the scissors to my shirt, but I remember the great feeling of accomplishment. Things seemed to fly by after that day for me. Keep with it!

Luckily it wasn't my fault this time. Just the cold weather finally shot the battery. Been thinking it was going to die the last 2 years.

Yep, yer cheap enough to be a pilot...

Congrats on the solo

Congrats !

Soon you'll be able to be stranded in a city you've never been before wondering why the airplane battery is dead!

;) ;) ;)

Any reason we can't now?

Not a whole lot of the population has ever landed an aircraft by themselves.

Something under 0.5% of the people, IIRC.

Dan

Congrats !! its a great feeling. I'm doing my xcountry thursday, it gets better every flight.

Congrats, reminds me of my first solo. Keep at it, we need more PPLs.

Congratulations!
And get ready. The rest is going to go by fast.

My shirttail was signed by my CFI. It is one of my prized possessions and hangs in my home theater.

and CONGRATS to the OP.

My first solo feelings were ruined by the fact that we were going to have breakfast immediately following the flight, but someone scheduled the plane we had and it was a mad dash to get back to the home field.

Congrats on your 1st solo. Now get your ticket and see how great that feels.

Back