Ruh roh

Skylane81E

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Duncan
Doing an AD search on a Cherokee coming in soon.

The new stabilator cable AD doesn't show up:mad2:

Going to have to let Advantext know

Doing an AD search on a Cherokee coming in soon.

The new stabilator cable AD doesn't show up:mad2:

Going to have to let Advantext know

Just when you think AD tracking software has your back...

Why don't you just use the FAA database?

Dan

I used to use Tdata but the prices just kept going up and my business as an IA is limited to just a select few, I don't put bread on the table with it (although I do put avgas in my own airplane and buy the occasional $100 hamburger with the proceeds) and to be honest, Tdata was clunky and wasted an awful lot of paper with those unnecessarily lengthy compliance reports.

So, as Dan suggested, I went to the FAA website. I made up an Excel spreadsheet template into which I simply cut and paste the AD list and the neat part is that the AD numbers paste as links so if you click on them the AD text or pdf file comes up in your browser. I added fields to the right for Status, Notes, Recurrence, Cert # and due date. This, in most cases, prints out on a single sheet of paper and that is my compliance report.

The only issue is service bulletins. Usually Google will get them for you, sometimes you have to hunt but you can always find them one way or another even if that means calling the manufacturer.

I have converted all of my clients files to this new system and it is so much nicer and easier to maintain.

Boss likes the look of the reports generated.

Disk 07 has the new AD, and I had disk 6 in but 6 came out nearly 2 weeks after the affective date of the AD

Tdata is taking this seriously, usually the mark of a good company

Here is an example of my new style AD compliance report for a Cessna 206. Fits on a single sheet of paper. The AD numbers in the spreadsheet are hyper-links. The front side of this sheet contains a form that lists p/n's, s/n's, total times, overhaul times, installation dates and all other information I can get pertaining to airframe, engine, prop and major components. My clients like this single sheet annual inspection report as opposed to 15 pages of mostly redundant filler. Once the report is made up there is little to do year to year other than update the times or plug in any new AD's

One caveat for using the FAA site however is that you have to know the current TC owner's name to look up the AD's. Might not sound like a problem but if you're doing a Bonanza you have to look under Hawker rather than Beechcraft or Ratheon. Same goes for something like Aeronca or Luscombe. You have to know the name of the current owner of the type certificate. In these cases American Champion or Don Luscombe Aviation History Foundation Inc. Usually a Google search will solve the puzzle for you but when you get down to components it can become a challenge.

There are also the service bulletins so for large volume work on unknown aircraft Tdata is still worth it's weight in gold. My system is only good for low volume repetitive inspections on known aircraft like I do.

Attachments

• AD compliance.pdf
    22.4 KB · Views: 14
I only do fairly repetitive work on known planes, but the volume is fairly high

Back