rudder cable shackles

Matt C

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt C
Since we're talking about rudders..... The rudder cable shackles on my 172G are showing some wear as thinning of the loops where they touch each other. I'm not sure why since no one uses them. I would like to replace the shackles and looked up the Cessna part number. They want about $100 per shackle for the original Cessna part and about $15-$30 for steel shackles from Wag Aero. Is there any reason to use the Cessna parts? Consider that there are 4 of them to replace.....

Since we're talking about rudders..... The rudder cable shackles on my 172G are showing some wear as thinning of the loops where they touch each other. I'm not sure why since no one uses them. I would like to replace the shackles and looked up the Cessna part number. They want about $100 per shackle for the original Cessna part and about $15-$30 for steel shackles from Wag Aero. Is there any reason to use the Cessna parts? Consider that there are 4 of them to replace.....
I can't think of a reason to pay four times more from Cessna. They do that with some of their parts though.

What's the part number?

Last edited:
Did you mean can or can't?

Cessna part number is 0533010-1

Wag's shackles are similar, but I can't find the actual specs for the Cessna part.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-3_11-5-19.png
    upload_2017-1-3_11-5-19.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 24
Can't. Phone problems and proof read failure on my part.

I talked to McFarlane and Spruce. They both say since there is no "AN" or "MS" cross reference, they won't indicate that their parts are a useable substitute. I'm sure they're just playing safe. I talked to a couple of Cessna part dealers and they showed no stock on the $100 shackles and also no cross reference. AP agrees with you guys - get the closest and bolt it on. Am I over-thinking this?

I talked to McFarlane and Spruce. They both say since there is no "AN" or "MS" cross reference, they won't indicate that their parts are a useable substitute. I'm sure they're just playing safe. I talked to a couple of Cessna part dealers and they showed no stock on the $100 shackles and also no cross reference. AP agrees with you guys - get the closest and bolt it on. Am I over-thinking this?
Do you really believe that Cessna made their own or used off the shelf ?

iu

Is this what you are looking for? If so, it is an AN115- what ever size fits your application. Genuine Aircraft Hardware sells them.

genuineaircrafthardware.com

Do you really believe that Cessna made their own or used off the shelf ?
Good point. I suspect they did not make their own. Why not cross reference anywhere?

iu

Is this what you are looking for? If so, it is an AN115- what ever size fits your application. Genuine Aircraft Hardware sells them.

genuineaircrafthardware.com
Contacted them and they wouldn't commit. Looks like we're moving towards close enough....

How can they profit by supplying an AN/MS cross reference?
Point taken. There are however AN numbers in the parts manual for many other things and not this.

How can they profit by supplying an AN/MS cross reference?

That's not just profit, that's extortion.

Beech is famous for putting their own part number on generic hardware and charging an arm and a leg for it. Looks like Cessna has taken up the practice.

Point taken. There are however AN numbers in the parts manual for many other things and not this.

Have you discussed this with your IA? He's the one responsible for determining the eligibility of parts for installation.

BTW, this is not something you can do yourself.

I've never seen an official cross reference for this but I noticed that Texas Air Salvage has a set for $50 off of a 150M
They also list a cross reference to AN115-21. I wonder where they got that from.

http://www.texasairsalvage.com/main_view.php?editid1=179508
P/N: 0533010-1 Alt P/N: AN115-21
MFR/Title: Cessna - SHACKLE ( 2 Pieces )
Item from a 1976 Cessna 150M
Details: See photos for details.
Alts: Includes Both shackles PN: AN115-21 & 0533010-1

Multiple others available:
http://www.texasairsalvage.com/main_list.php?a=search&SearchFor=0533010-1

Hey Brock,

I only looked at the 172 catalog.
Yep, I looked there too since I was curious and have a 172H. Parts manual only lists 0533010-1 but I find it sometimes helpful to check all the supplier websites for extra information on parts. Maybe Texas Air Salvage measures their salvage parts and found them to have the same dimensions as the AN p/n, or maybe they have another source for a cross reference? Might be worth a call to them.

Anywho, it looks like there are salvage parts available out there if the OP doesn't want to go with new. Or maybe his IA will sign off on the use of the generic AN p/n.

I like to use Controller's p/n search to find sources too. Sometimes it returns extra info about the parts too, like superseded p/n's and dimensions/descriptions for some of the p/n's with dashes and what those dashes indicate. Yingling's part search usually does list the superseded p/ns for Cessna stuff.
http://www.controller.com/list/Part...Num=0533010-1&btnPartSearch=Search&PST=Starts

Yep, I looked there too since I was curious and have a 172H. Parts manual only lists 0533010-1 but I find it sometimes helpful to check all the supplier websites for extra information on parts. Maybe Texas Air Salvage measures their salvage parts and found them to have the same dimensions as the AN p/n, or maybe they have another source for a cross reference? Might be worth a call to them.

Anywho, it looks like there are salvage parts available out there if the OP doesn't want to go with new. Or maybe his IA will sign off on the use of the generic AN p/n.

I like to use Controller's p/n search to find sources too. Sometimes it returns extra info about the parts too, like superseded p/n's and dimensions/descriptions for some of the p/n's with dashes and what those dashes indicate. Yingling's part search usually does list the superseded p/ns for Cessna stuff.
http://www.controller.com/list/Part...Num=0533010-1&btnPartSearch=Search&PST=Starts
Older, Standard Aircraft Handbooks list them with manufacturing specs.

I've never seen an official cross reference for this but I noticed that Texas Air Salvage has a set for $50 off of a 150M
They also list a cross reference to AN115-21. I wonder where they got that from.

http://www.texasairsalvage.com/main_view.php?editid1=179508
P/N: 0533010-1 Alt P/N: AN115-21
MFR/Title: Cessna - SHACKLE ( 2 Pieces )
Item from a 1976 Cessna 150M
Details: See photos for details.
Alts: Includes Both shackles PN: AN115-21 & 0533010-1

Multiple others available:
http://www.texasairsalvage.com/main_list.php?a=search&SearchFor=0533010-1

Nice find - thanks a bunch. 2 for $50 is half the Cessna price. I may do that if I don't find any better info.

Have you discussed this with your IA? He's the one responsible for determining the eligibility of parts for installation.

BTW, this is not something you can do yourself.
He offered to do this with me. I don't want to waste his time shagging parts if I can help it. He has used AN115s from Wag for other projects in the past, but I don't know if they had the official cross reference that I can't seem to find for this.

He offered to do this with me. I don't want to waste his time shagging parts if I can help it. He has used AN115s from Wag for other projects in the past, but I don't know if they had the official cross reference that I can't seem to find for this.
It's not required on standard aircraft hardware.

21.9-(3)

Back