Rudder Advice for a noobie.

Again, it's just a totally unrealistic manner of flying, and the lessons (and the point) may be lost on the student...

It is but I disagree - the student will "get" it. I'm just suggesting he do a couple of them, I'm not saying it's something you need to go out and practice regularly. It will help him because he has now gone all the way to the extreme and knows whats there. He doesn't need to do it again. Spins are an unrealistic manner of flying as well but I think a student should go through them too.

Spins are an unrealistic manner of flying as well but I think a student should go through them too.

I think they should too, but trying to compare spin training that could save your life to a random exercise in rolling the airplane back and forth with the nose on a point is nonsense. Pilots who are about to auger in on base to final don't think spins are very "unrealistic".

I think they should too, but trying to compare spin training that could save your life to a random exercise in rolling the airplane back and forth with the nose on a point is nonsense. Pilots who are about to auger in on base to final don't think spins are very "unrealistic".

I'm not sure why you dismiss it so passionately, it's clearly an exercise you don't like for whatever reason, so be it.

On spins: while I believe primary students should experience spin training I don't think the training as it is normally conducted is of that much value because it consists of intentional spin entry and execution of a recovery. In a base to final spin there is no opportunity for recovery. A better method of training would be to get the student into an unexpected spin but it's difficult to do at altitude because it is the ground reference illusions and anomalies that create the hazard and that can't be duplicated at 3,000 feet.

On spins: while I believe primary students should experience spin training I don't think the training as it is normally conducted is of that much value because it consists of intentional spin entry and execution of a recovery. In a base to final spin there is no opportunity for recovery. A better method of training would be to get the student into an unexpected spin but it's difficult to do at altitude because it is the ground reference illusions and anomalies that create the hazard and that can't be duplicated at 3,000 feet.

Not trying to be deliberately argumentative with you about this new topic, but it's something I feel strongly about. I disagree strongly with this statement. Saying intentional spin training has no value is like saying intentional stall training has no value. I'm pretty sure most pilots have instinctive muscle memory developed for stall recovery...even if they have never accidentally stalled an airplane. Intentional or unintentional, most have done enough stalls such that if they DID accidentally stall, the recovery wouldn't even need to be thought about.

Spins are no different, it's just that pilots in general have much less experience with spins than they do stalls. I do intentional spins just about every time I fly. I have done what I'm sure is well over a thousand spins. But I have never accidentally produced a spin. But I can sure as heck guarantee you that if I am ever in an airplane where either I or someone I'm flying with accidentally produces a spin, I'll be able to immediately respond and recover. How you got into the spin is irrelevant. It's about the recognition of it, situational awareness, and developing muscle memory with the correct inputs. Intentional spin training will definitely do this. The problem isn't so much with HOW it's taught, it's with the fact that after a pilot does one or two spins, they may never do them again. This is not exactly proficiency, and does not prepare a pilot for dealing with an accidental spin at low altitude. For spin recovery to be ingrained, it takes more than one-time spin training.

a base to final spin there is no opportunity for recovery.

This is absolutely false. Most light spinnable airplanes can do a full turn spin and recover to level flight in well under 1000'...and that's if you sit there and actually LET the spin develop. Anyone who produces an accidental departure and LETS the spin develop is likely confused, and inexperienced or lacking proficency with spin recovery. This pilot may not recover even with plenty of altitude. You can recover from an incipient spin entry in most light trainer types in under 200'. A J-3 Cub can do a full one-turn spin and return to level flight in about 300'. A departure below 1000' doesn't have to be a death sentence if you're proficient enough to deal with it. Of course, this is a catch-22. If you're proficient enough to recover from a 600' base-to-final turn, then you're proficient enough to not have gotten yourself in this situation in the first place. The people who are very proficient and comfortable with spins are NOT the ones who stall/spin on base-to-final. But if a student pilot produced an incipient spin at 500', a skilled instructor COULD save it. Dismissing the value of the type of (admittedly minimal) spin training most people receive is more nonsense.

Last edited:
Not trying to be deliberately argumentative with you about this new topic, but...Most light spinnable airplanes can do a full turn spin and recover to level flight in well under 1000'....

First of all, who is at 1000 feet in a base to final turn? Secondly, this type of unintentional stall spin incident is most likely predicated by an unusual circumstance coupled with a single or multiple distractions. To imply that you'd have to practically be an idiot for this to happen to you isn't supported by statistics, it's happened to some extremely seasoned pilots.

So you do an intentional spin just about every time you fly - that's not normal. All I said was that the standard (normal) spin training for a Student Pilot is to go up and do half a dozen intentional spins and recoveries. These are spins where you stall the airplane while simultaneously stomping on the rudder pedal and hauling over on the stick or yoke to spin in an intended direction. You're not even going over on your back in the opposite direction like you probably would in the botched base to final scenario.

The type of training needed to prevent these types of incidents isn't spin training, it's ground reference awareness training because it's flying in a wind while using points on the ground as a flight reference that causes this sort of thing to happen.

Alright fellas, time to bring the post back to the OP, you know, me ;)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last flight lesson was weird. We talked about emergency landings and why being a safe pilot is planning ahead, scouting for areas to emergency land etc. I enjoyed the preflight lesson but in flight was a bit different.

We did some engine failure simulations which I actually did enjoyed. I did well getting the fat ass of that warrior into optimal glide pitch and I have the emergency frequencies and squawk code etched in my brain for life. Did all the engine procedures we could do. We of course committed to an engine failure and the goal was to scout out a good spot to emergency land and get nearest to it without of course actually landing or breaking any rules. My instructor seemed please with my ability not to panic, considering the first time he didn't tell me what we were doing other than what we discussed in ground school and how I proceeded to deal with it. Of course every place i decided I would land the plane had a cows or other rather deadly obstructions but I still feel good about it other than I haven't ever attempted to land or things of that nature so I had no reference on how to properly approach the locations I chose. I think the lesson was to keep me aware and to be vigilant in scanning for places to land in an emergency.

Next lesson in ground reference maneuvers and practicing the pattern, with the next lesson finally attempting to land.

I just wonder and I think I've said it before if I should have already been introduced to landings before taking on the task we did yesterday. It's been bothering me. I read people like KeithAStandfords (MyTurnToFly)'s Post and wonder why he was doing landings on the first go and I have yet to do it. I do like that I'm getting familiar with the basics as I am not hesitant to adjust throttle, mixture, etc, feel comfortable in slow flight and LOVE steep turns and enjoy practicing stalls, but I don't know. Part of me just feels a little like we've missed a step or things are a bit out of order. OR I could just be paranoid since he rushed me out the door without signing my logbook because he had another student coming as the door as we walked in it.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you're doing fine. Once you have practiced these maneuvers... Emergencies, ground ref, slow flight, stalls etc you will feel more confident in controlling the plane and then when you start on landings in earnest it will be easier. Just go with it, by the time you are signed off for your checkride you will have done all of it.
I wouldn't like my CFI bolting but I guess that's just a scheduling time issue.

Bordman- I have a personal policy that says the flight is not over until the paperwork is done. Never let your instructor "forget" to sign your logbook. If he does, the flight didn't happen. Touché, you owe him nothing for instruction.

Sounds to me like you're doing fine. Once you have practiced these maneuvers... Emergencies, ground ref, slow flight, stalls etc you will feel more confident in controlling the plane and then when you start on landings in earnest it will be easier. Just go with it, by the time you are signed off for your checkride you will have done all of it.
I wouldn't like my CFI bolting but I guess that's just a scheduling time issue.

Okay thanks. The reassurance helps. I just find it a bit out of the norm compared to others experiences that I've read. Hell even on my intro flight I at least flew with assistance till we were on final. He doesn't let me do that at all. But after reviewing my reading material it seems he is simply going along with the chapters which actually makes perfect sense to me now. I guess I just worry to much.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Bordman- I have a personal policy that says the flight is not over until the paperwork is done. Never let your instructor "forget" to sign your logbook. If he does, the flight didn't happen. Touché, you owe him nothing for instruction.

Well I surely paid! Lol. Hopefully it won't be an issue if he signs it tomorrow... but I am new to this and don't know such things!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Bordman, while the CFI is on final and then landing take the time to relax and just watch the process. Where the numbers are in the windshield, how the rwy looks as he rounds out, adjust your view to down the rwy like for taxiing and notice the sink rate and pitch of the nose to the horizon. Use that time to get used to what you should be seeing and then when you are controlling the plane you will know what to aim for

Back