Roy Halladay's Icon A5 down off of Tampa Coast

It's very sad. Halladay was a true talent, and apparently a good guy. It's a pity that our voracious appetite for prescription drugs and some need for a different kind of high cost a family their husband, father and son.

Zowie..., first he's on prozac. Then at the same time he had more than the therapeutic dose of: morphine, Ambien, and amphetamines. I have no idea what all the interactions are there, but boy he must have had some raging hypertension as well because people with that much morphine tend to have bp "crashes." Throw in some opioids and muscle relaxants and he must have been in fine shape.

At least he hadn't been drinking.

Military forces all around the world give methamphetamines to soldiers, including pilots.

In controlled, proscribed doses and which you have to report each use to your flight doc, which is documented.

They're not just out there freely blazing on speed in a combat zone.

It's very sad. Halladay was a true talent, and apparently a good guy. It's a pity that our voracious appetite for prescription drugs and some need for a different kind of high cost a family their husband, father and son.

This is pure speculation, but that behavior strikes me as a person that was desperate about something in his life - bad feelings that he just couldn’t deal with. I do wonder if we may gradually hear more about some trauma.

In controlled, proscribed doses and which you have to report each use to your flight doc, which is documented.

I believe there were first used by both the Axis and Allies for this purpose in WWII.

This is pure speculation, but that behavior strikes me as a person that was desperate about something in his life - bad feelings that he just couldn’t deal with. I do wonder if we may gradually hear more about some trauma.

Was he injured during his career? I thought doctors like to keep the players happy so tend to be fast and free with the prescription medications.

And not when taken in combination with various other narcotics and psychoactive drugs.

I feel bad for this guy and his family. Sounds like he was an alright guy and he had a huge problem. He had to have known he shouldn't have been flying but did so anyway. Not sure what caused him to dope up like this. It seems to be an obvious effort to numb himself plus the need for thrills. He was an accident looking for a place to happen, fortunately he didn't take anyone with him. RIP.

If you self medicate, you know who you are, seek help, you need it. Do us a favor, don't fly.

Go / no go pills were always optional when I was in as well. Not sure if that was the policy for all branches or not. I was plenty fatigued on some missions but never to the point of requiring medication.

There is a misleading graphic in Paul's video. Prozac is NOT generally approved and wasn't in this case, since the pilot never reported the use, he couldn't have been on the Special Issuance.

Back